Systemdek 1-960: should I buy or upgrade Technics SL-10? Total TT rookie here

fisherrose

Everyone has always been very helpful here at AK, so I came here to seek some advice. There is a local Systemdek 1-960 table for $250. The table has an acrylic platter, Rega RB250 arm, and an Ortofon OM3.

The table I have been using is a Technics SL-10 with an Audio Technica AT92E cartridge. Though I have enjoyed vinyl on this deck, Id like to know what Im missing from a decent belt driven table if it would give better sound than my current setup.

i have three options that Id like some guidance with:
1. Would the Systemdek table give better sound than my SL-10? Dynamics, clarity, rhythm, less hiss/pop, etc.?
2. Would a new Project Carbon Debut for around $400 better my Technics and the Systemdek?
3. Do I stick with the Technics and spend some money on a better cartridge and a mat or other upgrades?

I do not wish to spend more than $450 no matter which route I take.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ben

1. Would the Systemdek table give better sound than my SL-10? Dynamics, clarity, rhythm, less hiss/pop, etc.?
Possibly -- the RB250 is nice, and that's a pretty good price for a deck with that arm.
2. Would a new Project Carbon Debut for around $400 better my Technics and the Systemdek?
Not no way, not no how. The Carbon would probably be a notch below either.
3. Do I stick with the Technics and spend some money on a better cartridge and a mat or other upgrades?
Um, yeah. The AT92E is a really weak link. You're putting the cheapest of the cheap cartridge (they go on sale for $18 every once in a while) on what was one of the premier linear tracking decks. Really makes no sense.

Find a Grado Black p-mount and put an 8MZ stylus on it. That's $160, and it'll sound tons better.

Go for the Systemdek

The Systemdek is so much better than the Technics and also better than all Technics ever made since the big bang.

The Systemdek is also classes beyond the ProJect.

Spend any money on better cartridges, tweaks, phono stage or whatever.

Agree on this one, the Systemdek is superior. The Technics SL-10 is very nice, but not a tweaker's delight. It's T4p mount has limited options currently available. But it is a technology and design enthusiast's dream. As well as loved by the aesthetic crowd. Technics saved their finest work for their R&B/Professional marketed SP lineup. Which all other Technics were trickle downs from technologically.

Last edited:
FWIW, you could get the Systemdek and upgrade your cartridge on the SL-10 and still stay within your budget . . .

I agree with most everyone else; the Systemdek is the way to go - but spend a few dollars more and liberate it from that iffy Ortofon. $200 can buy something worthwhile, cartridge-wise.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

I'm going to go against the tide here and recommend keeping the SL-10 with an appropriate quality cartridge, find the original Technics MC cartridge that went on the SL-10 and it will leave the others in the dust.

I'm going to go against the tide here and recommend keeping the SL-10 with an appropriate quality cartridge, find the original Technics MC cartridge that went on the SL-10 and it will leave the others in the dust.

Do you also believe that a Ford T will outperform a Lamborghini Gallardo in the bends as long as you get the original tyres?

The table I have been using is a Technics SL-10 with an Audio Technica AT92E cartridge.

The Systemdeck is probably a better turntable, but I have owned a SL-10 and it deserves something more advanced than an AT-92E.

So perhaps you should try a better cartridge on it. Williamthakker (of ebay) has some Ortofon X3-MCP and X5-MCP p-mount moving coil cartridges...

Do you also believe that a Ford T will outperform a Lamborghini Gallardo in the bends as long as you get the original tyres?

Ultralyd, you should research the original cartridge that majick47 made reference to (the EPC-310MC) a little bit. It is a very special thing.

And the SL-10 is better sounding than what it could appear to the naked eye.

Ultralyd, you should research the original cartridge that majick47 made reference to (the EPC-310MC) a little bit. It is a very special thing.

And the SL-10 is better sounding than what it could appear to the naked eye.

I have experience with the SL-10 and the original cartridge for this TT as well as the Systemdek and the Project TTs.

FWIW, you could get the Systemdek and upgrade your cartridge on the SL-10 and still stay within your budget . . .

I totally agree with with Bangs. Get a better cartridge for the SL-10 and you will have two good turntables. There's nothing wrong with having two turntables, I have four. :music:

Fisherrose/Ben,

I'm not familiar with that model Systemdek- I'm more familiar with the suspended Systemdek derived from the Ariston, which in turn is incredibly close (almost exact) to the Linn tables. Those are excellent decks indeed.

This Systemdek along with the 900 and 920 model (and perhaps others) was also marketed under Dunlop- it's a non-suspended table, closely resembling a Rega in looks, and I suspect a nice table. The Rega 250 arm is a classic, and for very good reason. It's a very nice arm. The Ortofon OM3 is a budget cart and should be upgraded- although I own/run some nice moving coil carts like a Dynavector 17D3 and Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, I still love the Ortofon OM20 and 30 carts, and the new 2M carts like the Red, Blue, Bronze and Black are a perfect fit/match for that Rega arm. The Bronze gets a bit pricy though, and the red was not something that impressed me much. The blue would be a good option.

The Systemdek will require a bit more maintenance and skill to set up, but allows you to tweak and adjust the table, and allows more cart choices than the Technics. There's also less to go wrong, besides perhaps a belt dry rotting with time. No big deal.

The Technics SL-10 is a great table, perfect for a "set it, forget it, and don't ever sweat it" type of playback. The sound and performance is very good and the table, regarding setup, is about as hassle-free as they come. A better cartridge on it will yield great results- however you are limited more with this type of tonearm regarding cartridge availability.

My only real concern here is the table is more complicated, therefore more difficult to repair by nature, in the long run if anything develops an issue.

The model one down, the SL-7, is preferred by many an audio buff. I've heard one even further down, the SL-5 at an AK get-together with a Dennis Had class-A tube amp and Spendor speakers (owned by AKer Audiodon), and it was an extremely pleasurable listening session. It was clearly the best sounding room at the get-together.

I think the Audio Technica AT92E cartridge is the bottleneck with your current system.

The Project Carbon Debut- I like some of the ProJect offerings, but personally this table has left me underwhelmed on many levels.

The Systemdek has the potential to give better sound than the SL-10 with upgrades (especially that cartridge) and allows you to tweak/upgrade. "Potential" is the key word here.

As for dynamics, clarity, rhythm, less hiss/pop,- your cartridge, phono stage and record cleaning/condition will have more of an impact than the difference in the tables here. Hiss/pops may be record cleanliness or condition, clarity will be more affected by your cart choice, dynamics and rhythm, too.

If you stick with the Technics, a better cartridge will do wonders, but some of these linear trackers cannot take a different mat without affecting both optical sensors an also tracking angle. This table limits your tweaks/upgrade path.

I would say, if you want a minimal/no-hassle setup with minimal effort and easy to achieve good sound, keep the Technics and hunt for the best cart you can find for the Technics.

If you want a table you can grow with by tweaking and modifying and upgrading over the years, the Systemdek is your better choice here. That Rega arm is a great arm, but that cart needs to be upgraded pronto.

I'm a big fan of the Technics tables, but I would go with the Systemdek here- as long as you can afford tom upgrade that cartridge pronto.

Last edited:
The Systemdek- with the Rega arm. A nice table. I can't tell exact model- it came up as a 960, but may be a 920? Hard to read.

Edit- this looks to be the 920. I cannot find a 960 with Rega arm and 25lb platter. Anyone have pics?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that model Systemdek- I'm more familiar with the suspended Systemdek derived from the Ariston, which in turn is incredibly close (almost exact) to the Linn tables. Those are excellent decks indeed.

This Systemdek along with the 900 and 920 model (and perhaps others) was also marketed under Dunlop- it's a non-suspended table, closely resembling a Rega in looks, and I suspect a nice table.

Not entirely true....
The Dunlop Systemdek I-960 is one of the round ones.
All Systemdek were Dunlop Systemdek.
None of the Dunlop Systemdek TTs were absolutely non-suspended even though you will find that info a lot of places on the net.
On this TT in question there's a 25lbs platter.
The bearing "carrying" the platter is magnetic suspended and reduces the load of the 25lbs to only 2 lbs.

The Dunlop Systemdek company have returned to the market again manufacturing TTs.

They are still suspended:
http://www.systemdek.co.uk/joomla/images/stories/big3dref2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom