Run-In Oddity

Hello. I'm using a Technics SL-B3 these days. The problem I have had for quite some time is that, perhaps 40% of the time, when the stylus meets the record over the run in groove, it will slide quickly into the song, sometimes up to 2 or 3 seconds in. My TT has done this for a while. I thought maybe it was the cart, but at one point I had the cart replaced and re-set-up, and it still does it. I've checked to make sure that the plinth is level, more than once. It does it whether I set the tonearm down manually, using the automatic function, or using the lever on the TT.

This can't be a normal occurrence, can it? I figure it can't possibly be good for my records or my stylus. Any help is appreciated!

No...that is not good for your records.

What cartridge are you using?

What tracking force are you using?

What anti-skate setting are you using?

You need to slightly adjust the set down point of the arm.
An LP record has a slightly raised lip at the very edge. They are made this way so the delicate grooves of stacked records on a changer won't touch each other.
Your needle is setting down on the outer edge of that lip and sliding down the lip to the grooves.
Adjust your set down point inwards just a hair and that should fix it.
Vinylengine.com has the manuals for your turntable (free downloads). See page 5 "start position" and figure 24 on page 2.
Rick

Last edited:
I'm with Rick, tweak the set-down inward just a smidge and it should help the situation.

I don't know... I had an issue like this, and I think the cartridge was misaligned, making it want to skip into place for some reason. I'd check that first. It's funny what they'll do when it's askew.

Back
Top Bottom