Technics sb7000a vs AR 310 vs RW Oliver 3-v not so easy

boostedb18

I thought I loved my sb7000's. They've been on my main system for about 6mos now. Then I had these AR 310s that I first listened to on my Marantz 2235 and was unimpressed. One of em needed a refoam so I wanted to learn how to do it and after the refoam I tested my work out on my main system(luxman m02,co2) and they sounded really nice. Made my sb7000's sound a little lame. Obviously the ARs had less low end but overall I enjoyed them. Then out of curiosity I hooked up a set of RW Oliver's and with an 8" woofer they're not gonna shake the house but the imaging blew me away. If they were in a smaller room(this room is quite large with 20ft vaulted celing) I think they'd really sing.

Now I don't know what to do. I coveted these sb7000's and Im shocked I prefer to listen to the ARs. Even the RWs managed to handle the co2 cranked past 12 o'clock. I feel like I've been lying to myself. Did my ears break? Or was I just in love with the SBs so much I was fooling myself? I feel exactly like when I realized Santa wasn't real. It's milli vanilli all over again!!!!

What would you do? And speaker recommendations? I listen to everything. Mainly soul and blues, but it can just as easily be hip hop, rock, or 80's. You name it except country. This system usualy has a technics slv5, luxman pd264, or I use the r2r. Im still pretty new to this so any input is appreciated :)

image.jpg

I would say keep them all, use AR as main speaker and sb7000 in caveman and RW in bedroom.

Enjoy them all.

I really just don't see my self using the SBs now. I'm just shocked they're my worst speaker. I dunno if it's positioning or the room or what it could be. I have a set of mission 770s in my loft with a marantz 2230 and that system sounds beautiful. It's my favourite that I've heard yet. So the RWs might be the b speakers for that system. I've been pondering selling the ARs and SBs and getting something better. Just don't know what. I really wanted those SBs they were my dream speaker. I thought they would make this a rock star set up. Turned out not to be the case and I'm disappointed.

boost put a 2 by four under the front of your Technics so they tilt back ...........try it there wonderful speakers.

I did read that when I first got em. Ok I'll give it a shot. another thing I was thinking is maybe I have them too close together. They're about 5 feet apart at the moment. Should they be further apart?

Move them around and see I would think 8 feet if you have......It was suggested to me to tilt them back as The foam was worn off on the ones I had the sound improved greatly with the 2 by 4 trick....... think it was DR audio that suggested it....get them away from that tv........Sorry it was motorstereo that suggested tilting them back mine are gone too I don't miss them but I don't miss any of the vintage speakers I had my interests in audio just changed...

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be moving furniture around tonight. The tv has to stay though. It's my main living room. Next house I'll have a dedicated listening room. But for now this room has to wear a few hats.

You're not alone in feeling that way about the 7000's. I had a pair of 7000a's that I felt the same way about. I could not warm up to them no matter how I tried. All the glowing reviews here had me convinced that I was doing something wrong. I even recapped those 3 way crossovers hunting for something that just isn't there. Yes I tried tilting them back, raising them up etc. Their bass wasn't anything special (although lengthening the port helped somewhat) and I think what bothered me the most was their lack of imaging. They've been gone now for about a year and it's funny I don't miss them in the least.

The RWs really showed me how lacking the imaging was. At least for now. I'm gonna give em honest try with all possible tweaks. And report back. More troubling to me than their sound is what I would replace em with. Should I have to that is.

Tried it all. Moved them all over. Pains me to say this. Im moving on. Hopefully they sound good for somone else, just not working here. Now what should i try next?

Tried it all. Moved them all over. Pains me to say this. Im moving on. Hopefully they sound good for somone else, just not working here. Now what should i try next?

I know how you feel and then some. I stripped my cabs and did a total resto and recap on them. I had hoped like you that they'd stick around for a while. Didn't happen here either. I'm sure someone else will be glad to give them a home though.
I moved on to some ADS speakers (810, 880, 730) and they're everything that I wanted the 7000's to be.

I know how you feel and then some. I stripped my cabs and did a total resto and recap on them. I had hoped like you that they'd stick around for a while. Didn't happen here either. I'm sure someone else will be glad to give them a home though.
I moved on to some ADS speakers (810, 880, 730) and they're everything that I wanted the 7000's to be.

Ive wanted a Pair of 910s for a while. Haven't come across a set yet. But that would be nice. I may go new. Im gonna be pretty picky this time around.

Back
Top Bottom