Too Busy - Made Time Anyway - Wharfedale Super 12 FS AL

Hey mang,

The baffles look good. You block sand them, put another coat of paint on them, block sand and do a third coat, I bet they will be way smoother. That's if you really care. Otherwise, carry on!

Love those grills and frames.

Glenn

Hey mang,

The baffles look good. You block sand them, put another coat of paint on them, block sand and do a third coat, I bet they will be way smoother. That's if you really care. Otherwise, carry on!

Love those grills and frames.

Glenn

I considered that, gave them the stank eye. But one of the baffles is already wrapped in cloth. Hopefully, those painted baffle sides will never see the light of day again.

Next time, I will seal/prime those suckers and get them nice before I put a topcoat on. Well, okay NEXT time I won't be using this plywood again !!!

Learning rules.

Biggles

Yeah, the ceramic Super 3 was used in the W70C and W90C for sure (as well as that European W12FRS model), all of which are supposed to be excellent speakers, but I think it may have been quietly-ushered in at some point late in the W*0B series. It was developed while Briggs was still at the helm, I'd say late '63, maybe. It was in the '64 catalog. I'd actually like to try the Super 10/RS/DD. The 10" models (including the two Bronze unit) were among the last holdouts during the long transition from alnico to ceramic magnets (According to the Briggs/Wharfedale book I have, ceramic ones had already been in use in the US for several years, but UK demand limitations and patent obscurities prevented investment for a few years... Swift-Levick, Wharfedale's primary source for speaker magnets, was in full production of ceramic ones by 1961, and I believe the first ceramic driver they made was in '61).

Yeah, the ceramic Super 3 was used in the W70C and W90C for sure (as well as that European W12FRS model), all of which are supposed to be excellent speakers, but I think it may have been quietly-ushered in at some point late in the W*0B series. It was developed while Briggs was still at the helm, I'd say late '63, maybe. It was in the '64 catalog. I'd actually like to try the Super 10/RS/DD. The 10" models (including the two Bronze unit) were among the last holdouts during the long transition from alnico to ceramic magnets (According to the Briggs/Wharfedale book I have, ceramic ones had already been in use in the US for several years, but UK demand limitations and patent obscurities prevented investment for a few years... Swift-Levick, Wharfedale's primary source for speaker magnets, was in full production of ceramic ones by 1961, and I believe the first ceramic driver they made was in '61).

You sir, always bring a breath of fresh air and juicy knowledge to the table. Thank you for stopping by and would offer you a chocolate soda if I could.

I smell a Super 10 project on the horizon.

xo, Biggles

Switching Gears

Super12047.jpg

As very few of you may know, I drug home a pair of early W70's yesterday. They're complete, but a little rough around the edges. One of the issues are the tweeters are the foam surround version, they're toast. So, I've decided to move the Super 3 tweeters for this project and install them to the W70 project. These Super 12's will now be run without a tweeter. A full-ranger baby!

I put in some time with them this morning, got a lot done. 1 baffle now has the aluminum trim installed, the baffle is screwed into the enclosure and the Super 12 is mounted to the baffle. Since there's no tweeters now, I installed the box over the hole to seal the hole. I'll find another pair of Super 3's some day, they'll wait patiently.

No wiring has been done, don't have any binding posts, yet.

Closer and closer!

Time to go play with the W70's now.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=638442

Super12048.jpg

Biggles

Me likey!

Love that look!

Yeah! And you know what else? When I strung up the cloth, then looked through the back to the front? Guess what I saw? My workshop. I saw THROUGH the cloth. So, maybe they'll be a little more transparent in sound than I originally thought!

Biggles

Super12049.jpg

Second baffle is strung up with cloth! No aluminum frames, yet.

It took me a while because the cloth and frames were still attached to the original Pioneer baffle. I do that, so I can look back and see how things went together. Man, there were a lot of staples stuck in there.

Are you interested in making more room in your shop? Try completing a project, this will free up tons more space. I'm blown away at how much room having this project partially completed took up. Baffles, drivers, screws, wood, tweeter boxes, all kinds of things stashed all over the darned place. Now most of those bits are in place and I have shelf and floor space that's opened up.

Biggles

Super12050.jpg

1 enclosure is buttoned up and ready for testing. I can't believe I've come this far, am in shock. I'm going to need to sit for a while and contemplate this on The Tree of Woe.

The Scott manual says I can run 1 speaker only. Install to left channel, turn balance all the way to the left and leave it there. So, that's what I'll do.

The second enclosure is getting a little closer to being completed every day.

Biggles

Put a load resistor on the unused channel to make sure you do not take out the opt. 10 ohm ww 10-20 watt is good.

Super12051.jpg

Put a load resistor on the unused channel to make sure you do not take out the opt. 10 ohm ww 10-20 watt is good.

Dangit, already ran the tests. I played all the music. The second enclosure will be done in a few days, I can wait.

I did it !!! It works! I now have carnal knowledge of what a full range driver means. For me, it means I don't need a tweeter. Some day I'll find another pair of Super 3's, but it's not a necessity.

As expected Edith Piaf, Doc Watson and the Paris Combo walk away with first prize. I'd put these up against the Rectilinear III's any day of the week, easy. That's huge for me, just so you know.

Justin Timberlake, LMFAO, you get the idea, not so good. The bass struggles, it's muddy. But this is of no consequence to me, that's not why I built these. I built these to go with the little Scott and listen music of that time, at moderate levels.

QUESTION: Even with appropriate music, it would be nice to have another octave or two of bass (Is this the correct terminology?). Do I do this by modifying the port so it's smaller? By what percentage to try?

I'm supposed to work tomorrow, so finishing up the other enclosure may have to wait until this coming weekend. It sounds so good, I want to have it going all the time I'm awake.

So open, so alive, it's brilliant, sublime, I shed a tear. And they look pretty snazzy too.

Biggles

EDITED NOTE: Maybe the non factory foam surrounds are screwing with the bass, and they probably need to break in. I'll play them for a while, that makes more sense.

Last edited:
Since I'm satisfied with the results, other than maybe some tuning with the bass, I can start cleaning up the veneer. Which is exactly what I'm going to do, clean it. Use some neutral Restor A Finish, then some Howards furniture paste wax.

The Super 12's really deserve a better, nicer enclosure. But I just don't have any at the moment. These old Pioneers will get me by until I can find some Barzilay made ones, or something similar.

I also need some appropriate binding posts, maybe I can find some "vintage" ones. I don't need or want much, even old screw terminals would be just fine.

OH, and repaint the risers black. They're chipped and funky, need a little sprucing up.

Biggles

Ahhhhhhh!

Bingo. It's exactly the sound you and I were looking for when we drug home our tube amps. The standup bass in Big Spike Hammer subtly rattled the floor. Yeah, it was like that. Mr. Watson whirled around my senses effortlessly.

The thought of having 2 of them in front of me kinda scares me.

Biggles

Great job Big's! I am glad to hear that you are satisfied with their overall sound quality even though a little bass tweaking may be needed. I really like the look and quality of the old Pioneer cabinets and I think you made the correct choice in using them. I have a set of Pioneer CS-63 speakers that had grills like those, but mine are missing and I am always looking for some originals. With your luck one or two of those Super 3 tweeters should fall into your lap shortly. Again, well done. :thmbsp:

Great job Big's! I am glad to hear that you are satisfied with their overall sound quality even though a little bass tweaking may be needed. I really like the look and quality of the old Pioneer cabinets and I think you made the correct choice in using them. I have a set of Pioneer CS-63 speakers that had grills like those, but mine are missing and I am always looking for some originals. With your luck one or two of those Super 3 tweeters should fall into your lap shortly. Again, well done. :thmbsp:

Thank you! Getting all twitchy to get the other one buttoned up. I've got work today, so am heading off in a moment. No speaker fun time for Biggles today.

Biggles

Super12052.jpg

Dangit, dangit, dangit !!! I was screwing the new front baffle into the enclosure this morning, noticed a little creaking. There was a small gap between the baffle and the enclosure. But the other one went together without a hitch, didn't think much of it.

Turns out, for whatever reason, when I screwed the baffle down it bent that portion of the enclosure and ended up splitting the veneer on the front of the enclosure from top to bottom. It's not a deal breaker, not really noticeable in indoor lighting.

I removed the baffle again to have a closer look, all looks fine. I'm not sure why the two aren't mating together like the other one. Maybe the baffle warped a bit over the last handful of months, I dunno.

My first thought is to use some foam tape I have, maybe that will take up some slack and make it nicer.

Super12053.jpg

Super12054.jpg

Biggles

Oh man, that sucks. Always seems something goes wrong when you are within touching distance of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Super12052.jpg

Dangit, dangit, dangit !!! I was screwing the new front baffle into the enclosure this morning, noticed a little creaking. There was a small gap between the baffle and the enclosure. But the other one went together without a hitch, didn't think much of it.

Turns out, for whatever reason, when I screwed the baffle down it bent that portion of the enclosure and ended up splitting the veneer on the front of the enclosure from top to bottom. It's not a deal breaker, not really noticeable in indoor lighting.

I removed the baffle again to have a closer look, all looks fine. I'm not sure why the two aren't mating together like the other one. Maybe the baffle warped a bit over the last handful of months, I dunno.

My first thought is to use some foam tape I have, maybe that will take up some slack and make it nicer.

Super12053.jpg

Super12054.jpg

Biggles

Ouch! I hate when shit like that happens. One done, under your belt, you figure the 2nd one will be a piece of cake, take half the time.
Hey, they're old and cranky!

Man, I feel your pain, and it really hurts. Were those screws the same as originals, or a bit larger? Sometimes the pilot hole has to be just right, I guess this may have been one of those times. Judging from your pictures though I can't figure out how it really happened. It's a good thing we don't hear with our eyes.

Back
Top Bottom