JBL "Goodness" question L-100

DaveElton

A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Hey all just a quick question regarding some advice for a buddy. Guy I work with just texted me, and he grabbed a pair of L-100's that were being sold here locally. According to the pic, they are the "L-100", and don't have the Century logo on the badges. He actually has them in his car at work, and is asking if anything should be replaced internally before firing them up, ie caps. Did those vintage JBL use poly by any chance? I have much newer 4312's, but looking into one of those prob. would be an apple to oranges comparison.. Many thanks!

Thanks Zonkers, these are not the "in-line" driver model, but are staggered. My Buddy knows "of" recapping, but these are His first vintage "go" you could say, and personaly "I" don't want to go into the cabs and try a recap, but also didn't want to tell him that they should be "ok" and ready to go either..

I think they should be fine as is; maybe just clean the L pads if they're scratchy.

Many thanks:) He has heard my 4312's and liked them, I politely tried to tell Him that the L-100 and the 4312 "aren't quite" the same thing sonically, but hopefully he will be happy with the 100's. He listens mostly to modern/classic country and bluegrass.

the jbl-L-100's are not in the same league as your 4312's.Mind you if he's just getting started in vintage audio he will have many ,many more speakers in his future...:}
hunter

the jbl-L-100's are not in the same league as your 4312's.Mind you if he's just getting started in vintage audio he will have many ,many more speakers in his future...:}
hunter

Thank you Hunter, I only heard a pair of L-100's once, and it was a brief audition someone else's home, and I wasn't "enamored", but I chalked it up to a different listening room, environment etc. I have read as you just said that the 4312 is in a different "position" than the L-100. I hope he at least enjoys them, as you said, this is his first start in vintage gear, and I am sure he will go down many more paths:) On a side note, I'm a bit jealous since his JBL's are walnut, and mine are the "studio-black", but oh well :)

The L100 networks are about as simple as they get. Every one I've seen runs the woofer wide-open.

attachment.php

If the cabinets are vinyl covered, as you mentioned, then he might have purchased a military PX version of the L100t. If this is the case, then he has a speaker with a superior crossover network. It might be best if you (or he) post some pictures to this stream. In any event such a development (L100t) does not alter the advice that playing the speakers would cause no harm.

If the cabinets are vinyl covered, as you mentioned, then he might have purchased a military PX version of the L100t. If this is the case, then he has a speaker with a superior crossover network. It might be best if you (or he) post some pictures to this stream. In any event such a development (L100t) does not alter the advice that playing the speakers would cause no harm.

Either that or they are L100t3's with "engineered" veneer. That stuff is half wood, half man made stuff and can look like vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom