best bang for buck speakers with some bass?

I wasn't under the impression the tf 10 were supposed to play very low to begin with. Driver wise not very big.

Just very clean. I like them.

My other option Is I am going to be getting a pair of Polk powered subs for free but needing work.

Without discounting anyones recommendations getting online advice is subjective at best.

Everyones system, power and their enviorment is different and that effects bass responce. Myself I don't tend to like tower and small driver speakers, to thin sounding. A sub can and will help but you start bringing complexity to the system that may do more harm than good.

Can you move your speakers around and do things that will boost bass? Push them closer to the back or side wall. Acustic panals at the reflection points, spikes to couple them to the floor. Do you have wood floors or carpet? this has big affects on bass.

One of the best ways to get a good bass responce from a speaker is plenty of power and IMO over power by at least 25% or so. If the speakers are rated @ 125w give them 200w amp power.

The old Bic Venturi speakers had a lot of bass and were very efficient...
Some of the newer ones have plenty of bass as well. Sounds like you have decent speakers already, a good sub and/or an eq may be all you need. Using an eq is not a sin you know, if it makes your system sound the way you like then more power to you.

I second the PSB 500. The Paradigm Reference Studio 20 is a better speaker though. I've owned them both.

Realistic Optimus 10's if you can find them can usually be had for well under 100. They employ an 8" driver and a 10" passive radiator for chest thumping bass. One of my favorite Realistic Speakers by far. I have a pair I purchased in College and they still are my favorite for bass. Their high end is lacking, and you may need to boost the trebble a bit. I put "Super Tweeters" on mine to add the highs that I like.

Then, there are always the Realistic Mach 1's. Wish I had bought those when they were offered. 15" woofer will give you decent bass.

Many feel that Realistic speakers are low-brow and consider them garbage. All the better for us that appreciate them.

What is the amplification source? I ask this, cause some AVR's don't produce much bass without a sub regardless of the speaker. I say this from experience. :D

My Advent Legacy III's produce plenty of low end and can be found for next to nothing. I see them going for cheap on CL all the time. I paid $70 for two pairs. Most of them will need new foam though.

I wasn't under the impression the tf 10 were supposed to play very low to begin with. Driver wise not very big.

Just very clean. I like them.

My other option Is I am going to be getting a pair of Polk powered subs for free but needing work.

I think I'd play with the power and placement of the DCM TimeFrames you have, here's the spec sheet on them :::

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/227086/Dcm-Time-Frame-V-10-0.html

Sounds to me like they should have plenty of bass if they go down to 25HZ.

Cheers,
Wayne

I don't have as much experience as most of these guys but I just got a few pair of Advents going and I can feel the thump in other rooms, missing midrange imo, great if you like bass. They seem to soak up power, I have to turn them up a bit compared to some other speakers. And I can backup baco99 on the KX 12s. I took some home not expecting much and was really surprised, a clean sound that can go loud if that's what a person wants, keepers to me. They look like something to rent out for parties though.

It always makes me kind of laugh... "in yourprice range, this is what you will find..."

I can't agree... I've bought some killer JBL speakers for $50, and others under $100.... I've bought Ohm speakers for less than $200, With the boxes and manuals.. .

I've bought Bozak speakers for under $100...

I've walked past Cerwins for under $200... I've picked up some WICKED rare Kenwoods for $300 a pair that was 4 12" woofers in one box...

I've bought some really nice Electrovoice speakers for next to nothing... (and I've paid a lot for some others....)

Heck, I bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls at a thrift for $150, in REALLY nice condition...

Go look around.. do estate sales. Look at flea markets... you can find some really nice speakers out there, that aren't limited to the "east coast" style and sound...

Buy what you see that interests you.. Just be sure to pay a little so you can flip them if you don't like them and not lose money... I've bought speakers for $50 and sold them for $500... Use that money to invest in something better... Work your way up..

This. I always found it best to look on my own too. If you're well informed about gear and know pretty much what is what then all you have to do is be patient and everything come in place. You can find lot of super good deals.

I had some good speaker purchases but for some reason I always had better luck with receivers, preamps, integrated amps, and power amps that I always found for killer price or next to nothing that was worth more then triple what I paid but me being too kind and not caring bout the money I always traded them off to other people for less valuable items (but of course what I was looking for) cause im just in it for the music. Nothing else. Keep looking you end finding something special sooner or later.

And I can backup baco99 on the KX 12s. I took some home not expecting much and was really surprised, a clean sound that can go loud if that's what a person wants, keepers to me. They look like something to rent out for parties though.

Thanks for giving them a try. They don't look like much, but they really can deliver excellent sound on a slim budget. I wouldn't mind finding a cheap set of KX212s just to have around. And because of the high sensitivity, they can be run LOUDLY on only a few tube watts. I like them over many of the Klipsch I have heard.

On the flip side, I have a paid of RSL CG-8(Squared) towers, and those suckers are OUTSTANDING. If you find some, they will sell very cheap, but my goodness to they deliver. That is, IF you find some. They only made a few hundred pairs.

newer: Acoustic Research 312HO's

if you're running an AVR, make sure there isn't some high pass filter on the front channels, limiting frequencies below 60hz to the front channels....

another option would be to get a graphic EQ and tailor the sound with that....

Back
Top Bottom