Any fans of Art Dudley's Listener?

And it's also just a threadcrap. You've said your piece, so how about just moving along now....

Well I got my box full of magazines this morning! Took the elevator down to the mailroom and came back with a box of magazines, a box with an SME-3009, and a dress designed by Amy Winehouse that my girlfriend ordered online. It was like Christmas all over again!

First- I didn't know they were digest sized! That's really cool. More portable, and they look better on the shelf. These were made to be kept. The seller also threw in an old digest sized copy of Absolute Sound, with the 23 issues of Listener. That makes for a lot of reading this winter (and our first big snow is on the way....). I can't wait to dig into the stack!

You've had 12 hours. How many have you blasted through? :)

I haven't been home, at least not while awake, but will be in a bit. Finally. I started reading a review of a passive pre- its nice to see reviews from folks that are talented at writing, and seem to have some actual personality. That is my big complaint for TAS and Stereophile today- I like the reviews, but there's no personality, or at least very little of it.

Yup, he sure can write, and he has lots of personality. Love him or hate him, which is just how it should be!

I like the reviews, but there's no personality, or at least very little of it.

I hear you on this, it's something that's crossed my mind many a time in recent years. Hmm, I think I already mentioned that in this thread... :scratch2:

Anyway, you've had your 12 hours, time to send them along, I'd like to read a couple. :naughty:

OK, "OT" but one member here in the thread a ways back made reference to both religion And politics, and the thread wasn't closed? Just wondering..:scratch2:

OK, "OT" but one member here in the thread a ways back made reference to both religion And politics, and the thread wasn't closed? Just wondering..:scratch2:

One way to handle such things is to ask members to stop it, and that's what happened here, and they did. Your post is a comment on moderation, and you need to stop that. If you see a post that you believe requires moderation, don't post about it in the forums, report it or contact a moderator.

One way to handle such things is to ask members to stop it, and that's what happened here, and they did. Your post is a comment on moderation, and you need to stop that. If you see a post that you believe requires moderation, don't post about it in the forums, report it or contact a moderator.

Consider your words respectfuly heeded :)

On the top, right hand corner of every post is a little button you can press to report the post to the mod crew. Just click on that and let us know if one gets by us.

I hear you on this, it's something that's crossed my mind many a time in recent years. Hmm, I think I already mentioned that in this thread... :scratch2:

Anyway, you've had your 12 hours, time to send them along, I'd like to read a couple. :naughty:

Hold on now, I still have 22 3/4 issues to get through! So are I read a review of rebuilt Quad 57s and a passive preamp. I think another thing I like about this magazine is that Dudley and the rest of the writers seem to share a lot of the same ideas I've come to believe in reproducing music at home- as far as what works better than other things, and a general distaste for the dogmatic approach that a lot of the press, and audiophiles, bring to the discussion. Sort of an "anything goes" as long as it sounds good- but certainly some things sound much better than other things.

I'm bringing a few issues with me on a flight today- should make the travel a bit more interesting, and I'll finally be able to dig into a few. They're small and portable and packed with knowledge and good writing.

Like I said, I'm missing several issues, but keep what I have organized and handy. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0239.jpg
    DSCN0239.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 161
Hold on now, I still have 22 3/4 issues to get through!

Well I was only joking, of course. And it would probably be more appropriate for me to ask the owner if it's ok first. :) In reality I have more reading material here than I can handle at the moment so take your time please.

So I read most of an issue on a flight to California- that says something right there, when I only get through most of an issue on a 4 hour flight (with a little time for Angry Birds thrown in). These things are PACKED with stuff. I'm not kidding when I say that I found this issue about 10 times more enjoyable than the average current Stereophile or TAS. Why? It's just full of one thing those periodicals really lack now- a POINT OF VIEW. Reviews are all fine and good, but this thing is obviously the work of a guy with a viewpoint, and he and the other writers aren't afraid to spell it out, and they also disagree amongst themselves and kind of openly mock each other in a friendly way. I absolutely love this magazine now. And they're not condescending- they even had an article about how tubes worked. Just very basic, here is how a tube works. But it was well written, and funny. Most of all- it seems the writers are actually having a good time, and just reviewing what they like instead of what they feel is the coolest new toy.

If you see any copies, get them. Well worth it. I paid a bit for these and I don't regret it at all - less than a pair of my fancy cables, and 100 times more useful.

Reviews are all fine and good, but this thing is obviously the work of a guy with a viewpoint, and he and the other writers aren't afraid to spell it out, and they also disagree amongst themselves and kind of openly mock each other in a friendly way.

That's one of the things I love about the 6moons site, actually. I'm sure I'll be bringing them up again in this forum at some point in the future.

Back
Top Bottom