Dustcap dents ???

gdwrench

Dirtbag
I found a little device that works pretty darn good on most dustcap dents as long as they are not caved in too bad.I found it even works better quickly after the occurance......

If you own a boat with an I/O outdrive you probably have a set of muff's and or cups to go over the water intake ports to run your boat out of water.
What you do is take the waterhose end apart and place the cup over the vaccum hose on a well powered wetvac/shopvac.(You may want to run a "flat file" over the end of your vaccum hose to take out chips or divets for tighter seal)I like to make sure the filter in the vaccum is clean so I get as much suction as I can get !!(havent torn a dustcap yet!) Larger dustcaps take a little working at,a little here,a little there and just keep working at it.Most of the time it will come out. You might want to try to moisten it "slightly" to make it a little more pliable if it is creased heavily but I've had good success going dry,If its not coming out you dont have enough power or your filter is dirty..........

Give it a shot , what do you have to lose ?? :D

Attachments

• DSCN0684.jpg
    DSCN0684.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0685.jpg
    DSCN0685.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN0686.jpg
    DSCN0686.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0688.jpg
    DSCN0688.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0689.jpg
    DSCN0689.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Interesting! I read your post on my thread last night...while I was cleaning up the HPM-60's I tried and vacuum trick and it worked like a charm. The dust caps look much better, not perfect but much improved. Thanks!

Dust caps

I have had success using a shop vac and controlling the distance and suction of the vac nozzle by keeping it farther back in the palm of my hand and resting my forefinger and thumb on the speaker cone. It does not take much time or vacuum at all to pop them back out.

I have had success using a shop vac and controlling the distance and suction of the vac nozzle by keeping it farther back in the palm of my hand and resting my forefinger and thumb on the speaker cone. It does not take much time or vacuum at all to pop them back out.

This is what I do. I have two little kids and no grilles on my speakers so they get pushed in on a fairly regular basis. The vacuum pulls them right out, no attachments needed. Think of jamming your thumb into the end of a waterhose to create more water pressure, but in reverse.

I found a little device that works pretty darn good on most dustcap dents as long as they are not caved in too bad.I found it even works better quickly after the occurance......

If you own a boat with an I/O outdrive you probably have a set of muff's and or cups to go over the water intake ports to run your boat out of water.
What you do is take the waterhose end apart and place the cup over the vaccum hose on a well powered wetvac/shopvac.(You may want to run a "flat file" over the end of your vaccum hose to take out chips or divets for tighter seal)I like to make sure the filter in the vaccum is clean so I get as much suction as I can get !!(havent torn a dustcap yet!) Larger dustcaps take a little working at,a little here,a little there and just keep working at it.Most of the time it will come out. You might want to try to moisten it "slightly" to make it a little more pliable if it is creased heavily but I've had good success going dry,If its not coming out you dont have enough power or your filter is dirty..........

Give it a shot , what do you have to lose ?? :D

Great idea
I'll keep an eye out for a set of ear muffs:thmbsp:

The way I used to do it involved using my lips as a seal... I only ever had the problem maybe three times and each time I made sure I couldn't be walked in on because the position felt ludicrous; however, the amount of vacuum was easily regulated and it worked like a charm.

I can't believe how many speakers on eBay have the tweeter dust cap pushed in. Just like giving someone bubble wrap......

"I only ever had the problem maybe three times and each time I made sure I couldn't be walked in on because the position felt ludicrous;"

Thats too funny!

I have also pinpoint popped them out with air pressure. i just did it to some blown tweetes out of my HPM 100's. Its rough on them though. They did pop out though, with no damage.

The earmuff idea is a good one!

Back
Top Bottom