OLA into a pair of subs?

davidro

Lunatic Member
What do you think of an idea to turn a pair of old Large Advent into a pair of subwoofers?

Wouldn't it be just a matter of connecting the woofers directly to a plate amp?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

No, use the Advents as is. Too inefficient to be subwoofers. And plate amps have a hard enough time driving normal subs. Keep the Advents as they are.

I'm not sure they'll dig enough to be subwoofers... maybe your plan will work just as powered woofers, but a subwoofer is supposed to dig down below 30hz.

if your going to do something like that id just remove the woffers put a decent sub in the cabinets connect your plate amp. semms like a better way of going about it from my point of view and you get to keep a vintage look. but only one way to know and thats to try it

Maybe I should just give it a go....

Another Q. Can 1 plate amp be used for the 2 woofers at the same time?

Thanks PG...I might need to ask you how later.

Since the OLA has the reputation for good bass, I'd think they'd make good DB apparatus.

Cheap and easy to try. As noted above, you can swap out for "better" drivers if you don't get what you were looking for.

Maybe I should just give it a go....

Another Q. Can 1 plate amp be used for the 2 woofers at the same time?

Depends on the resulting load and the capability of the plate amp. If load comes out to ~4 ohms or higher likely "yes". If lower then probably not a good idea unless the plate amp is rated accordingly.

How also depends as that plays into the total load. If they are nominally 8 ohm drivers then probably a parallel connection. If nominally 4 ohm drivers then probably a series connection. If the plate amp is rated for 2 ohms then a parallel connection should work in either case.

Last edited:
Thanks PG...I might need to ask you how later.

Since the OLA has the reputation for good bass, I'd think they'd make good DB apparatus.

It's not difficult. Here's a typical plate amp mounted in a frame with it's red and black speaker wires connected to two binding posts.

I just double up the speaker wires ( twisting them together ) from each binding posts and connect one + and one - to each woofer.

If the woofers are 8 ohms then this connection will yield 4 ohms which plate amps love.

The RCA line in inputs on the top of the plate amp can be connected directly to a source or a preamp. If connected directly to a source then the plate amp's line out can connect directly to the main amp as the signal is a pass through.

Plate amps have a power cord plug-in on top.

picture.php

I've used my Utility 3 Large Advents for subs for a couple of years now. Just put your sub out into the CD in of your spare 100 watt per channel AVR. Put the spare AVR on direct two-channel mode. Turn your Advents on their sides and use them as subs / speaker stands.

It works great and don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't :)

Cheers,
Wayne

p.s. you'll need an one into two Y splitter cable from your sub out so you can go into left & right channels of your CD or Aux. input on your spare AVR.

It's not difficult. Here's a typical plate amp mounted in a frame with it's red and black speaker wires connected to two binding posts.

I just double up the speaker wires ( twisting them together ) from each binding posts and connect one + and one - to each woofer.

If the woofers are 8 ohms then this connection will yield 4 ohms which plate amps love.

The RCA line in inputs on the top of the plate amp can be connected directly to a source or a preamp. If connected directly to a source then the plate amp's line out can connect directly to the main amp as the signal is a pass through.

Plate amps have a power cord plug-in on top.

picture.php

Thanks buddy. I think the OLAs are 8 ohm'd.

I've used my Utility 3 Large Advents for subs for a couple of years now. Just put your sub out into the CD in of your spare 100 watt per channel AVR. Put the spare AVR on direct two-channel mode. Turn your Advents on their sides and use them as subs / speaker stands.

It works great and don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't :)

Cheers,
Wayne

p.s. you'll need an one into two Y splitter cable from your sub out so you can go into left & right channels of your CD or Aux. input on your spare AVR.

This sounds brilliant brother....:tresbon:

The only issue for me would be how to connect the AVR to the main amp, as I use speaker output to control my subs.

Hmm what if I use a line-output converter which converts speaker out to RCA out, often used in car audio?

I treat plate amps like any other amp and they reside in my rack. Their volume controls are always within arm's reach.

I wouldn't like having to control subs/woofers and mains with the same volume control.

You will get better bass performance if you connect the sub amp to the speaker terminals, rather than directly to the woofer.

The only thing in the crossover that low frequency signals see is the 1.6mH inductor in series with the woofer which acts like a low pass filter. See here: http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

If I naively model the woofer as an 8Ω resistor I get a 3dB cuttoff freq of around 800Hz. In other words, if you connect an amp directly to the woofer, it will give you more mids. It all depends on the x-over in your plate-amp, which is probably low enough that it won't matter.

Also the high pass filter in the tweeter's x-over will block the low frequencies.

Point being, there's no need to do surgery. Just hook it up and see how it sounds.

I treat plate amps like any other amp and they reside in my rack. Their volume controls are always within arm's reach.

I wouldn't like having to control subs/woofers and mains with the same volume control.

Yup that also was my plan.

You will get better bass performance if you connect the sub amp to the speaker terminals, rather than directly to the woofer.

The only thing in the crossover that low frequency signals see is the 1.6mH inductor in series with the woofer which acts like a low pass filter. See here: http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

If I naively model the woofer as an 8Ω resistor I get a 3dB cuttoff freq of around 800Hz. In other words, if you connect an amp directly to the woofer, it will give you more mids. It all depends on the x-over in your plate-amp, which is probably low enough that it won't matter.

Also the high pass filter in the tweeter's x-over will block the low frequencies.

Point being, there's no need to do surgery. Just hook it up and see how it sounds.

That's a good point.

Since I do have an AVR with potential noisy pot (never fired it myself), there's nothing to lose I guess.

BTW Michael I'm listening to this band called Animals as Leaders at work...Can't wait to crank this up at home with the DB :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom