Affordable McIntosh Systems!

damacman

Resident Psycho
Lots of folks think they can't afford to own McIntosh. So, lets put together some affordable systems with matched components that gets them in the door reasonably if they shop around. There are countless combinations - here are my recommendations:

Vintage Tube: MX110 & MC240

Vintage Solid State: C26, MR74 & MC2505

Power Guard Era: MX117 & MC2125

I've owned all of the above at various times and each performed exceptionally. So, what would you guys recommend?

I again would like to throw my hat in for the MAC6700 for "modern" era Mac. In other words, that you don't even *have* to go vintage if you are smiitten by what you see at your Mac dealer. It's everything you'll need, just throw in your favorite pair of speakers and rock out.

I also would throw my hat in for the C712 remote controlled "slimline" preamp. Not sure exactly which amp I would pair with it.

Least expensive Integrated McIntosh amplifiers,

MA 5100
MA 6100
MA 6200

Least expensive McIntosh Receivers,

MAC 1700
MAC 1900
MAC 4100

All of these can usually be had for $1200-$1500 or under in good to excellent condition cosmetically and and working to specification.

Least expensive McIntosh tuners

MR 73
MR 74

These units often can be had for under $1000 under the right conditions. This list is the cheapest McIntosh gear you can own. Often one of these can be had for the price of new middle of the road Denon or Yamaha A/V units. The cheapest possible McIntosh units would be the MA 5100, the MAC 1700 and the MR 73. Those are most attainable for McIntosh owners on a budget. Disclaimer. I am a McIntosh MA 5100 owner. These units were early SS or hybrid built in high production numbers and the most common McIntosh units out there. Those who can go nice but not mint condition, can get some nice value for the dollar here. My prices are for recently serviced units.

Last edited:
C712 would go nice with an MC7100!

Good to the point combo:thmbsp:

I was thinking a D100 with the MC7100 for an all digital rig. This way you would have mac's best DAC and the preamp covered. With your C712 in the mix all bases would be covered.

Which tuner would you pair with it?

An MR-74

004%20-%20Copy.JPG

I would vote for the MA6200 as it has more power, a little more flexibility and power guard. The MR77 is a great tuner, but I think tuners are irrelevant now days, unless you have a great FM stations and I don't anymore. My two college stations have sort of gone off the deep end. If you have great FM a MR-77 is a great tuner, but with just a touch less selectivity and not as much image rejection from strong adjacent stations than the famous MR 78. I had my MCD7005 for 25 years and it produced great sound, but compared to my MVP861 its behind the times, especially in imaging. You could find a 851 for next to nothing have great CD sound at a bargain price. For speakers if you can find a pair of XR250's or XRT 18 to go with the 6200 you would have a great combination with the LD woofers opf the 250. . You could always add a MQ107 and use the parametric filters to shape the response for the room, . Its not going to be as cheap as a big Denon integrated , or Yamaha or Marantz with additional CD player. But if the components have been restored the sound will be more satisfying and get you in the Mcintosh fold.

twiiii - the MA6200 is my fave Mc combo unit for sure. I left it out because its hard to find a cosmetically matched tuner that isn't somewhat expensive. What tuner would you pair it with - an MR78?

twiiii - the MA6200 is my fave Mc combo unit for sure. I left it out because its hard to find a cosmetically matched tuner that isn't somewhat expensive. What tuner would you pair it with - an MR78?

The MR75 is a fairly inexpensive match.

C34V and MC2120.

I also believe tuners are irrelevant these days.
If cosmetics is a really important attribute to you, make sure you get an "early version" C34V or a c33. These would come with black insert knobs that are slightly longer and would match the 2120 or 2125. Later C34V's had shallower/shorter knobs.

Back
Top Bottom