Meters of 2205 Starting to Yellow

I have a MC2205 I am getting ready to take into the shop. I got the glass already, just need to source out the backgrounds for the meters, they have started to change colors over time. I called McIntosh they said that its $40 for each meter for the Plexi glass, which I am not sure if I need, does that sound about right? Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Attachments

• DSCN4109.jpg
    DSCN4109.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 57
Hmmm... not sure how new glass will help in this situation. :scratch2:

You should only need to replace the acetate gels that go between the glass and the meter housings. Never heard Plexiglas being used for this - maybe that's something new.

I would certainly not think new gels cost anywhere near $40...

Sorry I forgot to mention I am getting the front panel glass replaced, it is cracked.

He did mention something about acetate, I was talking to Brian. He quoted me $7 through email which I think sounds about right, but when I called to order the lady in parts said $40 for some sort of plexi glass that is used for the meters.

Hello fasOlatidO

1) you have to know what is behind the front glass :
-1 sheet of specific MCINTOSH blue plexi
2) behind the panel :
- one light chamber behind the meter (see my first picture)
- 1 blue plexi (another different one not identical to the first one)
- the end of the light box should be cleaned or better with an aluminium foil to better reflect the light coming from the bulbs (#1866)

view of the meter when the light is on (with bad colored film)

Attachments

• DSCN7111-R.JPG
    DSCN7111-R.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN7113.jpg
    DSCN7113.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 45
view of the MC2205 meter with the right blue film

Attachments

• Redimensionnement de DSC00293.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00293.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 41
Meter of MC2205 Starting to yellow

With the picture you posted , I think that the white material is burned behind the meters ....

I hope for you that the back of the meter is not burned !

See what happen inside the "light box" when lamps are over heating :thumbsdn:

Attachments

• Redimensionnement de DSC00318.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00318.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Redimensionnement de DSC00317.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00317.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 42
I concurr with Patrice, I think you have more issues than blue tint.

Patrice, with the ad hoc voltage conversions, do you often see bulbs that have run so hot?

Meters of MC2205 Starting to yellow

Hello Chris

No , only wrong lamp does such drastic dammage

I saw so many meters dammaged by the wrong lamps .....:thumbsdn:

See one meter scale from MC2155 :no:

Attachments

• Dammaged-meter-MC2155.jpg
    Dammaged-meter-MC2155.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 37
Hello Chris

No , only wrong lamp does such drastic dammage

I saw so many meters dammaged by the wrong lamps .....:thumbsdn:

See one meter scale from MC2155 :no:

So what do I do? At worst what would I need? I guess I will take it into the tech and see what he finds then fix it from there.

As shown in my from the bench post, the meter light cases get to be weaker than egg shell, fragile. Just replacing the light bulbs on this 40 year old amp can destroy them.....the post is of a MC 2125, but the MC2205 can be just as bad.

Make sure your tech has worked on them before......

Holy Moly, like everyone has said be careful with those meter cases. They'll break in a second and well you won't find replacements.

Ok so the plastic being burnt behind the meters is what is causing the redish tint? I should probably have the bulbs replaced as well, maybe an LED upgrade if they exist.

hello !

fas0latid0 the meters of MC2205 are not like MC2125 and 2155 ! see my picture , the "light box" is strong not in plastic or ebenoîd .

So nothing to fear regarding the body of the meters .

The brown color that you can see on your meters may come from the back of the meters . I don't think that the rear of the meter itself is dammaged .

Again see my picture you will understand how it is fitted

You are of coarse correct Patrice......it is the mc2255 that went to the plastic meter light boxes......right?

When I was talking to Terry about the Mc2125 light boxes he was explaining to me how hot the lamps get when they get a tungsten (silver) coating inside the glass bulb. Makes sense to me....

Last edited:

Hello Chris

You are of coarse correct Patrice......it is the mc2255 that went to the plastic meter light boxes......right?

yes , they are . Here some pictures about MC2255 meters :yes:

MC7270 has the same "meter box" .....

Attachments

• DSC06568-R.jpg
    DSC06568-R.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC06570-rear-view.jpg
    DSC06570-rear-view.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 25

When is was talking to Terry about the Mc2125 light boxes he was explaining to me how hot the lamps get when they get a tungsten (silver) coating inside the glass bulb. Makes sense to me....

Yes, it was a Mc2155 that I did that had a meter box completely egg shell on me. Won't ever do that again. But then again, probably won't own one again.

Back
Top Bottom