Have Any Of You Heard The Pro-Ject Tube Phono Preamps?

NoTransistors

Dual Turntables Super-Restorer
Assuming that some day I will get reimbursed for the defective Quad Twenty Four P, I will be looking for another dedicated phono preamp, preferably with a volume control, so that I needn't also use the Dynaco preamp.
I was looking at the Pro-Ject, and what I thought was a volume control, is a load control or something-or-other.
I just e-mailed the company, as I want to at least know if this equipment is from Europe or from china.
Have any of you listened to their tube phono amps?
Or perhaps I should search out another 24P, as it did sound nice.

The seller of the bad Quad tube preamp has agreed to a refund. Unlike the Quad, Pro-Ject gear is easy to get in North America. I will wait a bit. Maybe another British preamp from china will pop up. The volume control is a great feature that cannot be ignored.

Have you looked into Croft acoustics? I don't know how their stuff sounds, but seems to have a good rep and handmade in the UK.

The Pro-Ject is probably made in China, but on the other hand quite a lot interesting tube gear comes from that part of the world these days. EDIT: Sheer Audio MM-88 looks kinda interesting, comes from Taiwan, but I have no idea how it sounds... someone probably has one... chime in owners??

If you can do DIY and don't mind ordering from Finland, there's also this :D (link mostly in Finnish...) http://en.uraltone.com/uraltone-mau...store=english#product_tabs_description_tabbed The designer of that one has decades of experience building tube gear and he's happy with that design, so I'm thinking it's probably pretty good :) Have been thinking of getting one myself, seems a straigth forward build.

I had a Pro-ject Tube Box SE II phono preamp - used with Goldring Eroica and Benz Micro Ace moving coil cartridges with a Rega P5 TT. I loved the sound, a lot of phono stage for $700.

You are up either very late or very early. I will look into Croft, and will use Babblefish or the equivalent to translate from Finnish. I have been using a soldering pencil for 50 years, so a kit just may be the ticket.

Thank You

You are correct, it is a beautiful preamp. But the Finnish description might be a tough nut to crack. Funny how they want so much money for the tubes. The 6DJ8 was very common in amps of the 1960's and then went out of production. J.J. now makes them and tube suppliers in The States are charging less that this guy in Finland. So, I can get the tubes from anyone if I decide to purchase this cool little kit.

You are correct, it is a beautiful preamp. But the Finnish description might be a tough nut to crack. Funny how they want so much money for the tubes. The 6DJ8 was very common in amps of the 1960's and then went out of production. J.J. now makes them and tube suppliers in The States are charging less that this guy in Finland. So, I can get the tubes from anyone if I decide to purchase this cool little kit.

There's also an earlier version of the kit which starts at 120€*without a case and a power supply. If you have the tools and can building your own casing it might be a good option. You can also get it without a power supply, as you'd have to modify the original in any case as it's for 230 VAC - but they'll probably be happy to supply you with necessary components for 110V or you could use a cheap inverter I suppose.

Finnish is so different from English and other Germanic languages that automatic translators usually have a really tough time with it and make no sense for the most part unfortunately... However if you truly interested in it, there's probably English speaking folk at Uraltone if you email them, and here's the original design article written by the designer himself: http://audiovideo.fi/opas/tee-itse-riaa-korjain-mauri-pannarin-revenge-mm-rakennusohje - it's in Finnish as well, but it has some schematics - I think the final kit version might have some small changes but I'm not sure on that.

And yeah, I'm up very early today, woke up around 4AM, it's all the light messing with me (sun sets around 10PM and rises 4AM, an in truth it gets truly dark for only about an hour or two around 1AM).

Nothing like living near The Arctic Circle. Who am I kidding? Nothing like living in New York City. Want to trade for a while?

Assuming that some day I will get reimbursed for the defective Quad Twenty Four P, I will be looking for another dedicated phono preamp, preferably with a volume control, so that I needn't also use the Dynaco preamp.
I was looking at the Pro-Ject, and what I thought was a volume control, is a load control or something-or-other.
I just e-mailed the company, as I want to at least know if this equipment is from Europe or from china.
Have any of you listened to their tube phono amps?
Or perhaps I should search out another 24P, as it did sound nice.

Yes, I just got the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS and really love it! It sounds fantastic! It's also made in Vienna, Austria at the Pro-Ject factory; build quality is top notch, no cheap components.

Also, the control knob on the front panel is for variable input impedance settings that range from 10 - 1K ohms. Again, it's a very nice hybrid solid state/tube output design that can hold its own.:music:

Nothing like living near The Arctic Circle. Who am I kidding? Nothing like living in New York City. Want to trade for a while?

Not really, or perhaps for a very short time! I find big cities claustrophobic, I don't like the idea that I can't really walk out of the city with my own legs :D Good parks do help, nothing like some nice trees to soothe the soul... Big cities are fascinating in other ways though, especially really old ones and I guess New York is as old as they come over there. The vibe of all the human life condensed in a small area over the years is something, and I like the buzz of a vibrant city at night. Btw. Philadelphia is the closest I ever got to New York, my original plan was to visit there as well, but other things came up.

Yes, I just got the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS and really love it! It sounds fantastic! It's also made in Vienna, Austria at the Pro-Ject factory; build quality is top notch, no cheap components.

Also, the control knob on the front panel is for variable input impedance settings that range from 10 - 1K ohms. Again, it's a very nice hybrid solid state/tube output design that can hold its own.:music:

Oh, the made in Austria is certainly a pleasant surprise, I was pretty sure it would be made in P.R.C. Also it seems to have really good adjustments for both MM & MC which is always a plus.

Austria is certainly a good thing indeed. My maternal grandfather was from there.

Next time you are on this side of the planet, please give me a ring. The house I just moved into last January is in what is possibly the quietest neighborhood you will find in this city. The down-side is that it is close enough to the Atlantic shore to be a problem, should there be another hurricane. Time to go to bed. I plan to install an all-aluminum radiator in my Pontiac GTO [Holden CV8Z] in the morning [and probably the rest of the day].

Oh, the made in Austria is certainly a pleasant surprise, I was pretty sure it would be made in P.R.C. Also it seems to have really good adjustments for both MM & MC which is always a plus.

Yes, between the build quality, the multiple input settings and rave reviews by several others, I finally just went ahead and got one, and also a Denon DL-110 too:D. I have to admit, I was more than pleasantly surprised by both.

Headquartered in Vienna, they make the turntables in Litovel, Czech Republic in the old Tesla factory and other audio gear in their Slovakian factory. Unless someone has more recent info.......again, not Asian made as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom