M91ED + EVG PM3136DE stylus, did I pay tto much?

Jim Creek

Jazz, Wine, Electronics
M91Ed (eBay) shipped = $25

EVG PM3136DE stylus for the Shure M91ED = $20

Total = $45, did I pay too much??

I will compare it with my M97xe.

M91Ed (eBay) shipped = $25

EVG PM3136DE stylus for the Shure M91ED = $20

Total = $45, did I pay too much??

I will compare it with my M97xe.

Nope.

You bought a well regarded used cartridge at a very good price and a decent aftermarket stylus at a very good price. The total of two very goods is great. :thmbsp:

Let's us know how you like the sound.

Using that combo on my Dual 1219, sounds great. A nice warm sounding cartridge with great midrange punch.

I have this combo and think it sounds much better than my M97-Ed. I ordered 3 spare styli as well. Good to have an economical option out there!

There is no other $45 combo that will sound better. The closest would be the AT95 and it depends on whether you prefer the Shure/EVG sound or the AT sound.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been eager to try this vintage cartridge after hearing all the positive feedback about the M91ed. Not very much money spent!

The EVG stylus for the M91ed finally arrived today. I have it breaking in now on my Traveler. Listening to it breifly with the earphones it sounds a bit too bright, too thick/lush. Tracking at a bit below 1.25 grams. I will give it 10 LPs break-in time before I sit down for a serious evaluation.

Mine is tracking at closer to 1.5 grams. It helped with the brightness you are describing. Also the break in even the sound out.

I've had several ... with the EVG/JICO styli but the one I have right now is a Tonar (Nagaoka).

One was on a Harman Kardon T60 that went to a friend of mine who is a professional musician. He's enjoying it.

And I just picked up another cartridge locally for $10 with an original stylus. I'll get an EVG/JICO for this one too and check out the condition of the original as best I can. Hopefully make for an interesting comparison. I've got a Sony PS-X55 here that I think I'll put it on. It's a combo that has been reported to mesh very well together.

$45 is definitely not too much to pay for these excellent cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom