Lateral Move with V15 Type IV?

Panamafred

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
In the record store today-

have had my eye on a brand spanking new Shure V15 IV, been behind the counter almost a month. I've given it my best visual inspection and I trust the owner so I am confident it is unused, came with all accessories still sealed. Anyways it 's been collecting dust for a month so I decide to offer $100, knowing that's a good deal, half expected him to turn it down. But he says

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Currently saving for a rainy day since I have a low hour DL-110 that I love, and another DL-110 waiting as a back up.

Question: Does the V15 IV seem like a lateral move or an upgrade in terms of sound quality? I've never heard a V15 but I know they command a good price and are well regarded.

thanks for any input into the matter!

Good deal IMO. HE tip I believe? Personally, I think lateral move, maybe even a slight downgrade but hard to say, depends on your preferences. If you had an MR tip then an upgrade in terms of tracking. Try it and let us know which you prefer!

I have a Shure V15 IV albeit with an after market Jico stylus. It is a wonderful cartridge that very much has that Shure sound. Warm, deep, spacious sound that all Shures seem to have.

I can't compare it to your DL-110 but I can say that it ranks favourably to my better Pickering, Empire, Acutex and Piezo cartridges. To be sure, no pun meant, each of these cartridges is very different to my tired old ears but if I had to pick one it for the rest of my life it would be a Shure. Which Shure, though, is a much harder question.

How it will sound to you and in comparison to what you have now? Well, you'll have to let us know. :yes:

And, it cost $100? You have a score! :thmbsp:

Gerard

Good deal IMO. HE tip I believe? Personally, I think lateral move, maybe even a slight downgrade but hard to say, depends on your preferences. If you had an MR tip then an upgrade in terms of tracking. Try it and let us know which you prefer!

The V15 Type IV was available with a Hyperelliptical (VN45HE), a conical stylus (VN4G) and a 78 RPM elliptical (VN478E). Later a Microridge (VN45MR) stylus was added. How it compares to the DL110 will depend on which stylus it has.

John

In the record store today-

have had my eye on a brand spanking new Shure V15 IV, been behind the counter almost a month. I've given it my best visual inspection and I trust the owner so I am confident it is unused, came with all accessories still sealed. Anyways it 's been collecting dust for a month so I decide to offer $100, knowing that's a good deal, half expected him to turn it down. But he says

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Currently saving for a rainy day since I have a low hour DL-110 that I love, and another DL-110 waiting as a back up.

Question: Does the V15 IV seem like a lateral move or an upgrade in terms of sound quality? I've never heard a V15 but I know they command a good price and are well regarded.

thanks for any input into the matter!

Congrats! With the stock stylus that is a great price. Checked the specs on vinyl engine, you need to know that the compliance is very high, 32 cu. A low mass arm is required to get the best out of the V15-IV.

I have been playing a type III w/ SAS and also a DL110 for several years. I cannot say which is better, they are different, and I play them on different tables. I can say I preferred the V15-III w/ SAS a bit more.

Once you get your type IV mounted on an arm that suits it, you would have the rare opportunity to compare the stock Shure stylus with a Jico SAS. It would be very interesting to compare the two.

You have a rare find there. The Shure V15 Type IV used to be my "go to" cartridge until replacement styli became non-existent. I currently have one myself with a Jico SAS, however the AT150MLX easily bests it and it is in current production. I would put my money towards a new AT150MLX. It does require a small "break in" period to settle in. This from a devout Shure fan who has not previously liked Audio Technica cartridges.

Thanks for the input! I guess if I'm happy with my system, a lateral movement isn't so terrible. Sounds like there is a distinct Shure sound worth hearing so I'll tuck this one away for a rainy day.

How it compares to the DL110 will depend on which stylus it has.

Any way you guys can tell from the picture? Stylus had no markings on it.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN1424.jpg
    DSCN1424.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1434.jpg
    DSCN1434.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 27
Thanks!

It's the HE, silver "SHURE" on black. The MR is the reverse of that. The conical is red on silver. I don't remember what the 78E looks like..... green on silver?

So, you have the next best stylus Shure ever made for what many think was the next best cartridge Shure ever made. ;)

I think that, if you decide you like the Shure sound, you'll like this one at least as well as the Denon. This assumes that you have a low enough mass arm for the Shure to do well with.

And here's reality. If you decide you don't like it or that it doesn't work on your arm (and if the stylus suspension hasn't gone south), you can sell that thing for 3 or 4 times what you paid.

John

Thanks for the input! I guess if I'm happy with my system, a lateral movement isn't so terrible. Sounds like there is a distinct Shure sound worth hearing so I'll tuck this one away for a rainy day.

Thanks!
Looks like NOS HE Shure V15-IV to me.

I don't believe in the "lateral move" when it comes to cartridges and stylus. They all have a different sound. You can bucket them by perceived quality, or cost, or by cartridge type (MM, MC, MI), or by the various stylus shape, but rest assured they all have unique sound characteristics. How they sound in your system, in your room, to your ears is going to come down to your preference.

If you put that type IV on the right arm and load it properly it will not be a surprise to me if you prefer it to the DL 110.

Cheers, Bob

Back
Top Bottom