possibly the best vinyl-themed cartoon ever

Only if you are a HIFI snob. Otherwise, records are way cheaper than buying CD's and downloads. Used turntables are cheaper than an iPod.

Only if you are a HIFI snob. Otherwise, records are way cheaper than buying CD's and downloads. Used turntables are cheaper than an iPod.

Not in my world. CDs are frequently only a buck or two used almost everywhere. Check Amazon for example, or your local thrift shop. I recently bought a used turntable and by the time it was modded and a phono stage added and a new cartridge, well let's just say several times the cost of my CD playback system. Then there's the RCM, LOL! As to which sounds better, the answer depends entirely on the master.

Not in my world. CDs are frequently only a buck or two used almost everywhere. Check Amazon for example, or your local thrift shop. I recently bought a used turntable and by the time it was modded and a phono stage added and a new cartridge, well let's just say several times the cost of my CD playback system. Then there's the RCM, LOL! As to which sounds better, the answer depends entirely on the master.

Agreed, other than the super-rare high-demand CD's....people are giving their CD's away. And spending $25+ for the same exact stuff on vinyl.

I loved the apparent attention to detail on the equipment, but the closer one looks, the more it doesn't quite make sense. Isn't that a carbon fiber brush AND a bottle of cleaning fluid? I suppose in conjunction with a RCM maybe, but next to the turntable? Etc. At any rate, I think this dude is reliably funny. And it's a measure of just how far into full swing the vinyl revival is that it gets satirized in the New Yorker.

Very funny, and clearly drawn by someone with some experience. A lot of detail, from the carbon fiber brush to the cones under the table.

I've seen this posted in a couple of other places, and some people got pretty buttmad about it.

If you can't laugh at a joke about your hobby, what's the point?

I've seen this posted in a couple of other places, and some people got pretty buttmad about it.

If you can't laugh at a joke about your hobby, what's the point?

I couldn't agree more. Kind of tough for me to get my head around someone actually getting angry over what I think is a pretty clever piece.

It makes me smile, what it says is true, however they did leave out the fact that vinyl just sounds better and least to me. So to us , we trade off convenience and expense for sound quality. Funny stuff, I would bet 95% ( maybe higher) of the world would agree and laugh at that cartoon.

I showed it to my wife and she burst out laughing saying "unfortunately it's the truth!"

At least it made her pay attention to my hobby...for about 30 seconds.

I had a good laugh when I opened up the magazine a few days ago. The gear is a little off, but he really nailed the characters IMO.

Back
Top Bottom