Turntable happiness "Finally"

LazySounds

Many months ago I decided that my SL1200 was no longer exciting me.
Sure, I could have started down the upgrade path but my 1200 had been worked on by a educationally subnormal clown.
I stupidly paid some simpleton clown to respray my 1200 matte black and to put RCA jacks on the back so I could change cables as I saw fit.

Anyway the "Amazing F#$ktard the Clown" did a shitty job around the pitch slider and the RCA jacks were attached in a less than ideal fashion.
It still worked really well, but every time I saw the shitty paint job and the dodgy RCA jacks it would just piss me off!!!!

So I sold it on eBay, then I saved my pennies to buy a new deck.
I listened to a lot of turntables, mostly Project and Rega units.

Finally I settled on the Rega RP40.

First I thought it sounded pretty good.
After a few days I realised that the Elys 40 cartridge sounded pretty much worse than any other cartridge I had ever owned. Additionally there was a wobble in the platter.

So I got the dealer to replace the shitty Elys with an Ortofon 2M blue.

I noticed the wobble was caused by a little nodule of plastic standing proud on the sub platter, I scrapped it off with my thumbnail.

Now it sounded really good, but, the more I listened to it the more obvious it became that it suffered from pitch instability.

I was not happy at all. The dealer put a strobe on it and listened to it and said it was running at the correct speed and sounded fine to them.
But they also said that some people are just more sensitive to pitch variation than others and that it was possible that there was some variation that they just weren't hearing but I was hearing.

So they sent it to Rega to look at, in the mean time they very kindly lent me a Project 1Xpression Carbon Classic. (I really enjoyed this unit, the speed was dead on and it sounded great).

A short time passed, Rega returned the table and said that it was running correctly and that they had done nothing except replace the belt with a white belt and cleaned the drive train.

I took it home and plugged it in, I almost immediately noticed that it was running very solidly at the correct speed, it just sounded focussed.

I was very happy...................... BUT......

I started to notice that it wasn't dead silent between tracks, I got real close to the speakers and cranked up the volume...........bbbbuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Bastard was humming like an over enthusiastic drunk choir thats forgotten the words.

So I went through all the normal hum hunting procedures.

I moved cables around, I plugged things in I unplugged things and I just couldn't fix it, finally I isolated the cause of the buzzing, it was the TT-PSU, the TT-PSU was the cause of the buzz.

Anyway, I decided to live with the buzz in the short term, so I went to plug the TT-PSU back in and the power supply socket on the back of the unit snapped off inside the box f#$k f#$k f#$kedy f#$k f#$k!!!!

I took the TT-PSU back to the dealer, they have sent it off to Rega for repair and I have an RP3 TT-PSU on lone.

I saw a video on Youtube explaining that the TT-PSU buzzing was a common problem and that it could be fixed by attaching a ground wire to a chassis screw on the TT-PSU and the other end to the grounding post on the amp.

I did exactly this.

So now it is running at exactly the correct speed with no decernable fluctuations.

The 2M blue is a fantastic cartridge.

There is silence between tracks, no buzz and absolutely no hum.

This is the best sounding turntable I have ever owned or for that matter heard.

It's taken three months to get to this point, but I am stupidly happy with this thing. I smile from ear to ear every time I spin a record, they just sound so so GOOD.

Funny, a couple of days ago I was ready to call it quits and just ask for my money back and get another 1200.

I am so glad I didn't, the 1200 was an excellent beast of a turntable, but this Rega produces the exact sound that I was hoping for, not a sound a bit like what I had been dreaming of, but exactly the sound I had been dreaming of.

I am in turntable heaven and I am not sleeping much as sleep is just wasted vinyl time.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!

PS In no way am I criticising the venerable SL1200, I just had a very specific sound in mind which is different from the 1200 and the Rega has finally delivered.

Yippeeee yippppeeee yippeeee:banana::banana::banana::banana:

What didn't you like about the 1200?You are using a better cartridge on your Rega than you had on your 1200?Enjoy your new set up.

No one ever said that getting the sound you're seeking with analogue is simple or that the path is a straight one. Once you get there you tend to forget all the pain on the journey....

I am in turntable heaven and I am not sleeping much as sleep is just wasted vinyl time.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!

PS In no way am I criticising the venerable SL1200, I just had a very specific sound in mind which is different from the 1200 and the Rega has finally delivered.

Yippeeee yippppeeee yippeeee:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Glad to hear things worked out. I recently made a similar move from a SL1200 to an RP6.

Now that you have another turntable, why not undo the mistakes done to your SL-1200 and get it up and running as you see fit?

No one ever said that getting the sound you're seeking with analogue is simple or that the path is a straight one. Once you get there you tend to forget all the pain on the journey....

Nope, you're absolutely right.

It's an inward spiraling path, traveled 460 meters at a time. :smoke:

#illshowmyselfout

What didn't you like about the 1200?You are using a better cartridge on your Rega than you had on your 1200?Enjoy your new set up.

To be honest, there was nothing specifically that I didn't like about it, the SL1200 is a great deck and it served me well for a number of years.

I had tried a wide variety of cartridges from the OM30 and OM20 both on the OM body and the concorde body, a bunch of DJ cartridges because they had a fun sound. I tried the Denon DL300 and the DL110.

When I was a young man back on the eighties I owned a Rega Planar 2 and I really loved the sound.

I guess ultimately I wanted to recapture the vinyl magic of my youth.
The RP40 with the 2M Blue is basically an extension of the sound I had with my Planar 2.

To be honest, there was nothing specifically that I didn't like about it, the SL1200 is a great deck and it served me well for a number of years.

I had tried a wide variety of cartridges from the OM30 and OM20 both on the OM body and the concorde body, a bunch of DJ cartridges because they had a fun sound. I tried the Denon DL300 and the DL110.

When I was a young man back on the eighties I owned a Rega Planar 2 and I really loved the sound.

I guess ultimately I wanted to recapture the vinyl magic of my youth.
The RP40 with the 2M Blue is basically an extension of the sound I had with my Planar 2.

It would be interesting to know since you have owned both tables.

What is "the sound" the Rega has. Can you give us a bit more detailed description? And if the Rega has a sound, then what would you describe the Technics 1200 sound? And how do they compare and contrast.

I suspect quite a few people would be interested in knowing your experiences with both tables.

Regards
Mister Pig

You have a great memory, I can't recall the sound of my youth, and to be frankly honest from what I recall, I like the sound I have now much better.

Anyhow glad your happy, it truly is a entertaining moment when we are able to get lovely sounds that make us happy from a scratched groove in a piece of plastic.

You have a great memory, I can't recall the sound of my youth, and to be frankly honest from what I recall, I like the sound I have now much better.

Anyhow glad your happy, it truly is a entertaining moment when we are able to get lovely sounds that make us happy from a scratched groove in a piece of plastic.

To be 100% honest, I don't recall the sound of my youth either.
But I do recall how I felt when listening to records.
The old Planar 2 was inconspicuous, it just didn't intrude on my listening experience.
Big wide sound, nothing standing out, just sounded right.

It would be interesting to know since you have owned both tables.

What is "the sound" the Rega has. Can you give us a bit more detailed description? And if the Rega has a sound, then what would you describe the Technics 1200 sound? And how do they compare and contrast.

I suspect quite a few people would be interested in knowing your experiences with both tables.

Regards
Mister Pig

Ooooh, that's actually tougher to define than it sounds.

My hearing isn't the greatest, I'm 47 and I've worked with machinery and gone to a lot of loud concerts etc..

For me I prefer the Rega's midrange, the Technics seems to dig out plenty of detail but then smooshes it together ever so slightly. I have always felt that it was something that I just couldn't hear past regardless of cartridge.

The Rega came with the Elys 40 on it, the Elys may be one of the shittest cartridges that I have ever owned, it was just so DULL.
But it still displayed an openness in the midrange that the Tech just doesn't give me. The Technics loaded with the OM30 can dig out plenty more detail than the Elys but I always feel that its was pushing the details together in a way that made it hard for my less than perfect ears to unravel.

The Tech is still an awesome turntable, the Rega just sounds more alive even with a noticeably duller cartridge.

Regardless of cartridge the Rega suppresses surface noise more effectively, no I do not know why or how or even if it's real it's just how I feel about it.

I'm probably not explaining this very well at all.

I very well may have been able to get an around superior sound by keeping the Tech and putting a much much better cartridge on it, but I just wanted to try a different path.

I'm happy where I have ended up for the time being.

Each turntable has compromised sound in some way, that's just the nature of analogue, I just find the Regas combination of compromises and strengths more appealing than those of the Technics.

HOWEVER if I woke up tomorrow in a world where only the SL1200 was available I wouldn't cry a river over it, I'd just chuck on some Led Zeppelin and fire up the coffee.

Rega RP40 - And another thing

The Rega does not feel like value for money when you look at it and hold it etc.
It's almost crudely finished and flimsy.

I know the wow and flutter specs etc don't match the SL1200.

Don't care, I just enjoy listening to the RP40 A LOT!

Back
Top Bottom