Tonar Tacky rolling record cleaner

kope_hun

I was looking at record cleaners today and came upon this device that seems to be a knockoff of the Nagaoka CL-1000. Any experience with these? I love the idea of the rolling record cleaner but the Nagaoka costs way more than I could shell out. The Tonar costs about 1/3 of the original.

I was looking at record cleaners today and came upon this device that seems to be a knockoff of the Nagaoka CL-1000. Any experience with these? I love the idea of the rolling record cleaner but the Nagaoka costs way more than I could shell out. The Tonar costs about 1/3 of the original.

I have to believe that it's not that different from the Sticky Buddy:

http://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Buddy/dp/B008OKQIGS

I've tried this; it requires a bit of technique, but it does work, and leaves no residue. Not as easy to use as a carbon fiber brush, but it's pretty good for a quick removal of loose dust right before playing. It's apparently also $4, plus $4 shipping . . .

Most of Tonar's products are made by Nagaoka so it doesn't surprise me that they have the sticky roller.

While I haven't tried the Tonar roller, the sticky cleaning rollers I have used are too tacky for record cleaning...much tackier than the Nagaoka Rolling 152 record cleaner. Nevertheless, they are useful for dusting the platter mat, plinth, dustcover and CF brushes. They can still be useful for dusting garage sale records for quick evaluation or for dust removal prior to a wash provided they are denatured by rolling them over a clean terry cloth towel before hand.

If Nagaoka is indeed making these rollers and are in fact using the same compound as found in the Nag roller, then these are the bargain of the century.

If Nagaoka is indeed making these rollers and are in fact using the same compound as found in the Nag roller, then these are the bargain of the century.

This doesn't sound like a great business move for Nagaoka, though.:scratch2:

BTW, the item description states: "By having a sticky silicone elastomer surface that deforms when being rolled over a records surface, it can fit in the record grooves and the dust and grime within stick to the tacky cleaner."
This sounds like the idea behind the nagaoka roller, while the more problematic record rollers seem to use some additional sticky substance that can linger on the record surface, if I understand correctly.

Vacuum-based record cleaning machines are the only practical method available to properly clean vinyl LPs. Nitty Gritty, VPI, etc. http://kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/rcleaner.htm

While I agree that nothing beats vacuum based cleaners, for those of us with small collections and smaller budgets, they might not be a viable option.

I take most of my new LPs to the local record store to be professionally cleaned for about a dollar a piece - well worth it IMO - buit I still need a way to keep those records dust free. My experience with cleaning brushes is that a lot of the dust just keeps being pushed around on the surface, thats why I like the idea of the Nagaoka rolling cleaner which seems to get nothing but rave reviews.

I have ordered the Tacky form the bay and will report back with my finding when I get it. I figure at worst I can de-fluff my clothes with it:thmbsp:

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like a great business move for Nagaoka, though.:scratch2:
I'm not so sure...with the price of the Nag roller going beyond the reach of most novices willing to try one, the Tonar might just be the affordable answer without compromising Nagaoka's image as a top shelf product. This is a common marketing strategy used by many brands to invite newcomers in the hopes they'll later purchase upgrades.

Make no mistake about it...even if the elastomers are identical, the Tonar will have nowhere near the quality of manufacture of the Nag, very likely won't last as long, nor will it ever have the cachet of the Nagaoka...which for some is just as important as the functionality.

I'm not so sure...with the price of the Nag roller going beyond the reach of most novices willing to try one, the Tonar might just be the affordable answer without compromising Nagaoka's image as a top shelf product. This is a common marketing strategy used by many brands to invite newcomers in the hopes they'll later purchase upgrades.

Make no mistake about it...even if the elastomers are identical, the Tonar will have nowhere near the quality of manufacture of the Nag, very likely won't last as long, nor will it ever have the cachet of the Nagaoka...which for some is just as important as the functionality.

You have a point there. I wonder when the Nags got this pricey. I remember seriously considering to buy one a few years ago so it probably wasn't so bad then. Unfortunately I had to cut back my spending on LPs snince then, haven't bougth an album for years, just trying to keep the ones I have in nice shape these days.

You have a point there. I wonder when the Nags got this pricey. I remember seriously considering to buy one a few years ago so it probably wasn't so bad then. Unfortunately I had to cut back my spending on LPs snince then, haven't bougth an album for years, just trying to keep the ones I have in nice shape these days.
I'm not sure, but since these are still being made in Japan, it might have something to do with the tsunami. I would imagine it has impacted the cost of living there, as well as the cost of doing business. Nagaoka are not the only ones to have raised their prices recently.

I'm not buying as much vinyl anymore, either. Record stores are popping up like mushrooms in my neighbourhood....a sure sign of rising profitability.

Today, I recieved a package that was supposed to contain my Tonar Tacky. What I found inside, however, was something else.... So unfortunately I won't be able to review the Tonar for you guys.

On the bright side I'm now the proud owner of a Nagaoka CL-1000 for 30 pounds. Best shipping mistake ever!:banana:

Today, I recieved a package that was supposed to contain my Tonar Tacky. What I found inside, however, was something else.... So unfortunately I won't be able to review the Tonar for you guys.

On the bright side I'm now the proud owner of a Nagaoka CL-1000 for 30 pounds. Best shipping mistake ever!:banana:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

What did I say about tonar being associated with Nagaoka! :D:jawdrop:

:worthless

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

What did I say about tonar being associated with Nagaoka! :D:jawdrop:

:worthless

Not much to look at, but anyway here you go as Proof of Score:

attachment.php

Just tried it out and I can see where all the hype comes from, this sure beats fooling around with a brush. Removes a lot of dust with very little effort.:tresbon:

Attachments

• nagaoka.jpg
    nagaoka.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 126
You lucky bugger!

I've got a Rolling 152, it's fantastic. I will admit I was a touch skeptical until I actually got one, and now I love it. Very useful bit of kit.

I wonder what the difference between the 152 and the 1000 is?

You lucky bugger!

I've got a Rolling 152, it's fantastic. I will admit I was a touch skeptical until I actually got one, and now I love it. Very useful bit of kit.

I wonder what the difference between the 152 and the 1000 is?

I remember reading somewhere that they updated the formula for the silicone roller, but I can't find the website. They look the same and I doubt they changed much on such a well regarded product.

I think the Tonar has no metal components to draw static to the body. The Nag does. But is elastomer really conductive? I think I'll go for the Tonar and hope I get as lucky as kope_hun. There is also a $20 version on Turntableneedles.com. That one scares me.

Someone help me understand these devices as I never have used one: Do they get washed in-between uses or are contaminants just transferred from one record to the next? Are they for just removing dust from previously cleaned or new records or do they clean old thrift store finds?

I have a similar question as phantom's. If you're rolling and picking up dirt and grime, aren't you also running those "picked up objects" over the vinyl? Just doesn't sound like something I'd want to do.

Back
Top Bottom