Pioneer SX-1080 Cap Question

Pharssa

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi,

I have a SX-1080 which I use daily and usually for many hours everyday, though at low volume (about 0.01w-0.1 w). Today, I removed the top cover to dust it from inside and noticed that a cap in the power supply board looks bulged. It is the black one in the center with black top (pictures show the top and side view). I assume any bulging is bad but how bad is this one? Should I stop using the receiver right away or is it okay to use it for next few weeks while I order the replacement cap and replace it / get it replaced.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 50
Most PS caps such as you describe have a heatshrink jacket with a round plastic disc on the top made captive by the jacket (the disc covers the top of the capacitor case, which is electrically 'live', as a means to insulate it). It is quite common for the disc to go a bit convex after all these years, and is not an indicator of a failed or failing capacitor...it's purely cosmetic.

The bulging is probably the shrink wrap label compressing the appearance disk on the end of the cap - see if it presses down. Still should be replaced, but it's not ready to blow...

Use the receiver....

The bulging is probably the shrink wrap label compressing the appearance disk on the end of the cap - see if it presses down. Still should be replaced, but it's not ready to blow...

Use the receiver....

EW, Mark, thanks for the great and good-to-know information.

Mark, I couldn't press it down. It is not that much bulged as it appears in one of the pictures but it certainly is convex compared to other caps in the board. I read through hopjohn's and Grog's restoration threads and though it would be the first time, I can attempt to replace this cap.

When I compare this board in my unit with one of the pictures in the hopjohn's thread, some of the caps look different. It appears that some of the original caps have already been replaced at some point. They have dark blue wrapper and are ELNA caps. I also noticed similar dark blue colored caps / ELNA caps in some of the other boards. Just a few as if someone replaced the caps selectively. OR could they be original and I am just mistaken. In either case, should I replace all the caps in this board? I have looked at the caps list from Grog's thread and could order the latest recommended replacement caps after your validation.

Thanks,

Yes, all new electrolytic caps - they have seen better days...

Post the list before pulling the trigger on the order, and VISUALLY VERIFY the values on the list to YOUR caps on the board, before posting the list.

Let us know about any differences so we can help get the right stuff.

Back
Top Bottom