Pioneer Tuning Fork Service Guide

Carve it

Vintage Monster Addict
Thought I would post some items from the Pioneer Tuning Fork Service guides. These are items that I keep around for reference, 'cause I'm at the place where if I remember something new, then I have to forget something old (the wife actually expects me to remember what she tells me).
I will add to this as I can and others please add what they use as reference.
The pros can probably correct some of this info, the medium experience guys hopefully will find something useful and the newer guys it should help alot.

If the quality is too poor, please let me know. I have had to resample and convert color modes to get the file size down. Any suggestions appreciated.

If the mods think this is of little use or inappropriate, please let me know and I will cease and desist.

Up first, a 5 page article on resistors from Tuning Fork #1.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 1-resistors-small3.PDF
    915.2 KB · Views: 2,856
Up next will be an article from TF 1 on phono cartridges. Mainly because the SA-9500 II was released and it provided cartridge load switching via capacitance or resistance.
Lots of math and graphs. I found the graphs showing a Shure V-15III frequency response under varying loads interesting.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 1-phono-200.PDF
    711.8 KB · Views: 1,330
I probably should have started with this intro to Tuning Fork 1. The series was basically an educational effort by Pioneer to it's service techs. As far as I know there were at least 10 issues with some supplements as well. They contain about 8 articles each that range from 1 page to 20+ pages. Their complexity ranges from basic to math that I wouldn't want the job of proofreading for.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 1-Intro.PDF
    560.6 KB · Views: 1,453
I don't even own any Pioneer any more, and I still love this s*@t... keep 'em coming!

John

I will keep them coming until either they ask me to stop or no one seems interested.
The next issue begins with a 17 page article on capacitors and a 27 page article on Quartz-PLL directdrive TTs using the PL-570 as an example, discussing theory, service and troubleshooting.
There are 4 more short articles from TF1 that I will post first.
Beginning with a 3 page article on amp adjustment discussing neutral potential and idle current adjustments.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 1-AmpAdjust-200.PDF
    503.2 KB · Views: 1,696
Up next a 5 page article on the Decibel with conversion tables for microvolt to dB and dBf to microvolt.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 1-Decibel-200.PDF
    771.8 KB · Views: 965
Here's the article on caps from Tuning Fork 2. It's in 3 parts.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-capacitors-pt3.PDF
    675.3 KB · Views: 1,872
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-capacitors-pt2.PDF
    746.9 KB · Views: 1,937
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-capacitors-pt1.PDF
    920.3 KB · Views: 2,688
Excellent info. Thank you so much for posting this valuable information. I'm sure others who work on this stuff will find value in it. :banana:

How many "Tuning Forks" do you have?

I have 8 issues plus 2 of the supplements. Missing 4 and 5.

I am surprised these articles aren't drawing more views. As I see it, they fall into the "teaching a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime" category rather than "giving a man a fish and he eats for one day".

Anyways, here are 2 articles on Ohm's Law. One from the TF1 and one from TF2.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 1-OhmsLaw-200.PDF
    505.9 KB · Views: 963
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-OhmsLaw-200.PDF
    501.9 KB · Views: 853
Here are 2 articles on the Multimeter. One is from TF1 and the second from TF2 (it is broken into 2 parts). Pretty basic info, but still worth the read. The article from TF2 discusses testing components with a MM.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 1-MM-200.PDF
    437.6 KB · Views: 954
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-MM-200-pt1.PDF
    885.2 KB · Views: 886
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-MM-200-pt2.PDF
    720.8 KB · Views: 879
I have 8 issues plus 2 of the supplements. Missing 4 and 5.

These? :D

attachment.php

I have 1 through 5 plus a Digital Supplement. If I had a way to scan them, I would add them to the collection. I wonder how many Tuning Forks were published altogether?

Attachments

• pioneertunfork4-5.jpg
    pioneertunfork4-5.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,339
Those would be the 2.
I have the Digital as well as the Trouble Shooting Power Amplifiers supplements. I think there was also a supplement on the Video Laserdisc components.
Number 10 is "Basic Technology of Amplifiers" and abandoned the format of several articles and doesn't even look the same as the previous 9. So my guess is it was either the end or pretty close to it. I don't know if MTF would have any idea on this.
1 & 2 were called "Quarterly Audio Service Guide".
3 -6 were called "Audio Service Guide".
7-10 were called "Audio And Video Service Guide".

Back
Top Bottom