Pioneer SA-6800 AMP

Dorian.

I recently bough this little amp, and I am having trouble getting it going correctly.

The left hand channel everything works perfectly, and the right hand just emits a low end noise and cracks without any actual music coming out.

Does anyone know what I should be checking exactly? As there is no visible damage to capacitors etc.

Cheers,
Dorian.

Do you ever get sound from the right channel if you flip switches and controls on the front panel? Good control cleaning is the first thing.

I will double check when I get back, but I didn't last time.

It makes the bass driver pretty much max flex but no actual sound comes out, just seems like the magnet is going full throttle.

Whereas the other channel works perfectly.

You need to test DC Offset. With volume control at zero, use a meter to check voltage between the red and black connectors for each speaker wire. Should be close to zero. More that 50mv or so you risk damaging your speakers.

I will check this when I am back home.

If the reading is too high what should I test from there? Capacitor readings?

I've just finished repair of my amplifier. Considering DC offset I have around 30mV on right channel and 47mV on left channel. The amplifier sounds very nice. There is one point according service instruction which you can check. You should have at least 10mV between power transistors emitters (second stage). Manual is easy to find on the web. Presently I have 63mV and 67mV. First of all clean all the unit including pot meters. Then check power transistors. If you have more DC coming out to speaker terminals, for sure transistors are dead.
My was in really bad condition. I cleaned it carefully, replaced all capacitors and transistors in amplifier section, first stage (2SD667; 2SB647) and second stage (MJE15033G;15032G). My only point is that left channel plays little louder then right channel with balance in mid position. Of course i can calibrate that with balance knob and add just a little more to right side, but I wonder what could be the reason??

Did you recap the tone section and deoxit all the switches, and take resistance readings on the switches to confirm?

edit - ARRRGH, you did it to me!!! This is a thread hijack!!! And I responded to it!!! Please start your own thread!!!!

Back
Top Bottom