So I went a little crazy with my KR7600.

andx0r

Today I decided that since I already have the thing, I might as well do some hands-on learning on old silverfaces. So I pulled it apart to accomplish a few tasks.

1. A thorough cleaning and DeOxit-ing.

2. A re-lamp with LED's, as half of the bulbs on this one didn't work.

3. Install a wood case on it, once I find one.

I've already ordered the lamps. But now I need to do some cleaning. This unit was ATROCIOUS! Way worse than I originally thought. Even the tuning needle was dragging dust bunnies around.

I've already blown out most of the big loose dustballs, and I'm left with this:

9050771317_22edeca29c_b.jpg

9052994352_b7690f4ce3_b.jpg

What's the best way to get that sort of accumulated grime out of an old receiver?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a fine brush attachment to a vacuum cleaner and loosen the dust with a small brush ..

wow I bought one of those new in 75 ... it died on me in the mid 90's over driving my Infinities ha ha .... that is a very good unit. Tuner section is excellent when up to snuff.
good luck with it.

John M

If it is the grimy sticky dust stuff then I don't worry about it, as you can spend hours and hours cleaning it off caps and other surfaces - only the heat sink gets a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

If it is looser stuff then I use a 1 inch wide / 2 inch long paint brush and swap everything while holding a vacuum right next to it. Of course be gentle around small caps / trannys

For the switches and pots I blast them clean with a compressed air can right up close, then follow up by deox and multiple twist and turns. This includes bias pots - I think they are mirrored so putting them both counterclockwise could put one at full open, instead I set them both in the mid position with the meter ready as soon as I switch on the amp. Note that you need to remove the back plastic cover and then one of the prints to the very right in order to clean 2 slider switches for the tape and selector turn knobs (no-desoldering just loose screws and pry open for access)

I have the KR-6600, very nice sounding receiver and especially good tuner. Well worth the effort.

I couldn't get my big ham hands in past it to pull the six lamps that illuminate the tuner. I'd rather re-string it then snap it trying to bend around it to get at the lamps under it.

Another KR 7600 Original Owner Here

I also bought mine in the mid 70's and I still play it almost daily.

It is a wonderful unit which I think is very underrated. It shares
most of it's components with it's little brother the KR 6600. They
even share the same service manual.

Here is a post by a dd123 a KR 6600 owner who used
pictures to show how he cleaned the selector switches located
in the rear.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=6712967#post6712967

There is another recent thread here by jforrs who just inherited
a KR 6600 that was much dirtier than your KR 7600 because it was stored
in a barn. He is very happy with his results. I hope yours works as
well for you.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=521740

Last edited:
I am quite pleased with the final result! :)

9089838358_e6dec2e0d3_b.jpg

9087618609_7126023a6b_b.jpg

All 13 lamps replaced with LEDs and all now working. Everything went back together easily and no screws left over! I call that a small victory.

Back
Top Bottom