Kenwood Eleven II Rebuild

rolleiman

Hi All,
Well, it is time to do another rebuild. I just picked up a Kenwood Eleven II (my first Kenwood!) and plan to recap it.
Anyone out there rebuilt one of these and have a Parts List/SM/Schematics?
Thanks - Jerry

Subscribed. I have an Eleven G and a model 11 that I'm going to re-cap in the not too distant future, so I'll be following along.

It has been awhile and beleive I will get at this project soon. Took the unit out of the case and gave it an initial listen too. I like the sound but it has scratchiness and will need to get at the pots to clean them. The volume pot is held in place by some sort of screws and am assuming they are Allen screws. I do not seem to have a driver the correct size so off to the store this weekend.

Thanks. Yep 1.5mm.
Buy the way, I have a few od the lamps are out. A few small bulbs and a couple larger ones. Are there replacements or is there a mod in this area that should be done to use LEDs somehow?

Ok team have another basic question for you. Sorry for the simplicity.
The indicator lamps call for 8v, 50mA bulbs. I see that there are 8v bulbs available in 35 mA and 60mA ratings. Do I want to use a bulb that is a lower amperage? I guess my question is - is the rating on a bulb how much current it will draw, for instance if I used a 35mA bulb would it draw 35 mA and they would just be dimmer and if I used a 60mA bulb would it glow brighter but run the risk of drawing to much current?
Thanks, jerry

Hi All,
Bulb replacement went well. I ordered what I needed from Dave and did the installs.

I am getting a loud thump or pop sound when I turn off the receiver, even with the volume turned all the way down. Is there a way to rectify that?

Thanks, Jerry

Q: Is the speaker relay opening immediately as power is removed (unit shut off)?

If yes, then you probably have a buttload of DC on one or both amp outputs. The pwr amp in this receiver does NOT have a DC offset adjust, so if the offset needs attention it will mean the replacement of the differential input pairs with a new matched set.

If no, but the relay does open after a bit of time, then the 'Loss of AC detect' portion of the protection circuit is not operating as it should. Some bad diodes, a bad cap or two, and maybe a bad transistor.

If no, and the relay stays shut, you also should be hearing sound as soon as you turn the unit on (when set to Tuner), and this would indicate a relay that is either jammed closed (due to some odd mechanical failure or intentional foolishness on the part of some 'tech'), or a previous output device failure fused the relay closed and it was never replaced.

If the protect circuit needs work, it's all of four transistor, three diodes, and three electrolytic caps. No biggie.

Thanks,
It appears that the relay is always closed. On my other receivers, I turn on the power and then is a bit I hear a relay click. There is never a relay click, just the immediate thump.
Not related to this issue but a few things I did do to the receiver since I could easily get to the parts:
- replaced three electrolytics on power board
- replaced the two output Mylar caps with a matched set of Polypropylene
The tuner on the receiver brings in stations nicely and the unit sounds fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom