Sound Dynamics 12s

dadsaway

So I answered an ad in our local trader for a pair of "Sound Decision" speakers with a shiny silver speaker in it. What they turned out to be was a very nice pair of Sound Dynamics 12s speakers with the spun aluminum horn with those orange tweeters that everyone says are good. Well after looking them over and making sure the foam was good....he turned on his BPC receiver in his garage and WOW....what a sound!! Sold!! So as I am putting the grills back on...what do I do......I put a post from the grill frame right through the foam on one woofer!!!:tears:

So now....I need to ask....what foam fits the SD 12s properly? I am not sure I want the red foams....but if that's what they came with...then why not. Has anyone re-foamed a pair of these and where did you get them? If anyone knows what caps are in them also....I might as well order some of them too.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 100_2671.jpg
    100_2671.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_2670.jpg
    100_2670.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_2668.jpg
    100_2668.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_2669.jpg
    100_2669.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 92
Red should be original from what i have seen. Also i seem to remember reading people just use a red cerwin vega surround for the same size woofer.

I've never heard that vintage, but have always like the brand.

How would you describe the balance? Are they light in the mids or were they pretty balanced?

you would have had to refoam them anyway, I have a pair of 6s-s that I need to refoam, someday..

I've never heard that vintage, but have always like the brand.

How would you describe the balance? Are they light in the mids or were they pretty balanced?

To me ...for the few minutes I heard them in his garage.....they sounded pretty balanced. Maybe a little bass heavy but that could have been the way he had his receiver set up. The bass though was BASS....some nice deep, feel it in your chest bass. I am sure with a 12" and a tweeter in a 2-way, there will be some tweaking with the eq once I start to do some serious listening though.

Red should be original from what i have seen. Also i seem to remember reading people just use a red cerwin vega surround for the same size woofer.

I saw on simplyspeakers that they only have one 12" Cerwin Vega foam kit....that has got to be the one huh?

I saw on simplyspeakers that they only have one 12" Cerwin Vega foam kit....that has got to be the one huh?
Just in case anyone, like me, comes across this thread looking for an answer, it is yes! I just refoamed a pair of these with the same kit that is available for 12" Cerwin Vegas and it worked perfectly.

I have a general Sound Dynamics question: Were these ever sold retail in the US or were they a Canada only (and apparently Australia as well) brand? I'm guessing they may have possibly been sold in American states which border Canada but I was unfamiliar with the brand until I started reading threads about them here on the AK Speaker Forum as they definitely never made it as far south as Los Angeles.

Sound Dynamics speakers seem almost to be a Canadian copy/clone of similar Cerwin-Vega models available in the same time frame which was kind of unusual. Does this make Sound Dynamics a bunch of Canadian hosers in the Great White North that consumed way too much back bacon and beer? (Yes, I'm kidding! Sheesh!)

look up George Baker and Sound Dynamic vs Cerwin Vega... defiantly some rivalry fthere, he worked for both companies
Sound Dynamics were made by API, who made a ton of well known brands

I know, old thread but; Yes Sound Dynamics need a special dual layer surround. It's a YELLOW outer and grey inner layers sandwiched together. The recommended replacement IS the Cerwin Vega (the red/ grey dual layers).

Back
Top Bottom