Onkyo TX-7000 & ONKYO A-7

danconway327

Would the Onkyo TX-7000 & ONKYO A-7 be a good match together. I mainly listen to Rock n Roll and want something that can crank when I want it to.

I and not very informed when it comes to matching amps to receivers and wanted to know if these would work well with each other.

:thmbsp:

What are you trying to do?

The TX is a receiver, which is unit with a tuner for am/fm, a preamp with controls and a power amp with watts per channel to drive speakers.

The A is an integrated amp with the preamp and power amp on one chassis.

If what you want to do is run the tuner section of the TX into the A, use the tape output to either the AUX or Tape In on the A-7.

But the TX is a bit more powerful than the A so the use of the A might not even be necessary. It may sound better than than the TX, but IDK.

Under normal circumstances, there is no need to march an integrated amp with a receiver.

I owned a 7000 and believe I remember it being 90 watts per channel. That should be enough power for any speakers you throw at it but I'm not sure what you want to accomplish.

A7 is a fine amp not abused. IMO Onkyo matches studio monitor class speakers very well. Onkyo imo also matches their claims to thd and wattage at power while holding the frequency response. you don't find much, at least I haven't found a big watt output amplifier as they get snapped up pretty fast but 90+ db speaker can make these amps sing even at low wattage and 0.1thd as the better amps even in servo amps are very low thd like less than 0.02 at rated. Many are 4ohm and 8ohm combo rated but you usually can't do both when running two sets of spker's. i.e. 4 or 8 ohm on primaries and a+b should be only 8 ohm.

bink

Calm down 327, give us a chance to answer.

The site says the speakers will play up to 106dB for the woofer, which you can go on line and look at charts for loudness and see a jet engine is about 140dB and a normal conversation is 60dB...that 106 being between a subway and a rock band. This is done with 75 watts and is the rated max for the woofer.

Your 63wpc is close enough for govt work. Your 90 is close enough for govt work, too, why?

Because if you want to make it a little louder you need to DOUBLE the power to get 3dB louder. If you want to double the volume, you need 10 TIMES the POWER to make it 10db louder.

Get the speakers, try your amps...ONE AT A TIME, or you will be getting them both fixed and see if you are happy with the sound. If you need to crack the plaster, annoy the neighbors and blow up the speakers, you will need more power, a lot more power.

Last edited:
If you need to crack the plaster, annoy the neighbors and blow up the speakers, you will need more power, a lot more power.
Thanks 'blue' good chuckles here.

The db comparison is well explained. Those amps are going to provide more than enough wattage. I recently picked up an A-8057 (65w/ch), on my 90db sansui monitors, I'm afraid to try it's limits.

Back
Top Bottom