HHScott LC 21 tube preamp

hunter00

im picking up a hhscott lc-21 preamp tomorrow that has been siting for some time.I will have it serviced and recapped,but was wondering if any other AKers have experience with this tube preamp,any recommendations on rebuild would be appreciated and what can I exspect as far as sonics.
thx

heres some pics of the unit after getting it home today,:banana:will need some obvious work as some wireing is missing and a few other issues.work begins this weekend ,full recap hunter

Attachments

• hhscott 002.jpg
    hhscott 002.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 208
  • hhscott 003.jpg
    hhscott 003.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 153
  • hhscott 005.jpg
    hhscott 005.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 180
  • hhscott 006.jpg
    hhscott 006.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 213
thx jay,not much info on them as they seem to have not been sold in great numbers,6-12ax7's and a 6x4 rec tube.should sound good once recapped
hopeing it betters my pas2 pre in my second system

Have no idea,the fellow I got it from received it that way in a deal for a bunch of old gear.Looks like someone may have started work on it and abandoned the project.I have a schematic for it so it will come together ,some work ahead that's for sure.

Someone correct me if wrong, I recall that this is the kit version of the Scott #130 pre-amp, which is a very fine and versatile unit. Schematic is available. Loose the selenium rectifier for the fil. as well as the PS caps and the coupler caps...

your right china cave,it was sold as a kit and has a somewhat simpler circuit to the scott130.the selenium rectifier will be gone,as well as ps caps and electrolytics.Will replace with premium caps.Im looking forward to hearing this pre after the recap and compareing it to my Fisher 400c pre

I had a rebuilt Scott 130 preamp and understand that the LC-21 sounds better, perhaps due to simpler circuit. More detail and better dynamics than the Scott integrated amps while retaining the Scott house sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is my LC21

This is my LC21
P1010041_zpsbbd6ffec.jpg

P1010014_zps8b68b0b2.jpg

P1010031_zpsd967ba8b.jpg

It sounds good, but still should be recapped

This is my LC21
P1010041_zpsbbd6ffec.jpg

P1010014_zps8b68b0b2.jpg

P1010031_zpsd967ba8b.jpg

It sounds good, but still should be recapped

very nice sir.The case adds to the appearance for sure.Looking undernieth I can see my units missing a fair amount of wireing to the tube socket bases.Ive got a great tech{buddy} who will doing my restoration on this lc-21,build is solid with this unit and the knobs are pretty cool as well

When I got mine 1 channel was out,it turned out someone mis-connected a coupling cap during a recap, originally there were many of the Ceracap white caps in the unit.

Last edited:
im wondering if anyone on AK has an assembley /service manual for this lc-21 preamp they could scan and email to me.We have a schematic but the more info would be appreciated for the rebuild.tested the trany today and its working.There is a fair amount of butchering of wires tho. thx hunter

When I got mine 1 channel was out,it turned out someone mis-connected a coupling cap during a recap, originally there were many of the goodall white caps in the unit.

it certainly looks like a well engineered preamp,seperate power supply shielded area in the underside,will be using Russian paper in iol/orange drop caps on the rebuild.what amp do you run it with scott and how does it perform/sound in your system ?

It appears that someone ripped out all the active line circuitry and made a passive pre out of it. I've got one as well -- they are a very fine preamp.

Dave

It appears that someone ripped out all the active line circuitry and made a passive pre out of it. I've got one as well -- they are a very fine preamp.

Dave

thx dave,while ive got you here how would you say the Scott compares to your Fisher 400c ?have you ever done a back to back comparison between the two on your main amp and speakers?
thx H

To me, they sound very, very similar, as really they should, since both use a similar circuit topology. That is, both use a free running line stage driving an active tone control stage, with an anode follower output stage. Fisher simply chose to place the volume control before the tone control stage, while Scott placed it after this stage. Both use vacuum tube rectification, and DC power for the audio tube heaters.

From a design standpoint, the Fisher has an edge in that it also includes a low output impedance CF stage to drive the volume control/tone stage combination and the Tape Recording output jack, to virtually eliminate the effects of any outside connections to that jack on the audio signal. The signal at that jack is amplified and also inverted in polarity from the input signal. In later versions of the 400C, the Recording Output jack is also controlled by the Output Selector switch.

In the Scott design, the non-amplified Tape Output jack is simply wired across the input to the line amp, meaning that anything connected to that jack can affect the source supplying the preamp. With modern low impedance external sources, this is typically not a problem. But for vinyl enthusiasts using the internal phono preamps, and the Tape Output jacks for recording or loop purposes, the Fisher approach is quite superior.

Both units invert absolute polarity at their main outputs.

The Scott has a practical edge however in being easier to work on with it's nice big chassis, and is also quieter, since it uses an aluminum chassis rather than the Fisher's steel chassis. The difference in noise produced is notable.

The other notable difference is that the Scott has about 1/2 the gain in the line/tone stages than the Fisher does, which is more practical for most power amplifiers than the higher gain of the Fisher is. This, combined with the position of the volume control in Scott's design makes for lower quiescent noise as well.

So the biggest differences are more one of physical execution and features, rather than so much significant sonic differences. Properly restored, I think you will find that they both "sound" nearly the same. I enjoy both of my units immensely!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom