CA-2010 Died

Sprags

I bought a CA-2010 on Bartertown. Hooked everything up and it sounded great. About a week later I noticed a slight mechanical hum. I told the seller. He instructed me that a technician previously loosened the screws holding the transformer in place and suggested I should try the same.

I'm not an electronics person. I'm a mechanical engineer. So I figured I can try adjusting the screw tightness without any trouble. The screws were pretty loose but I tried anyway. The hum actually became slightly louder. I also tried tightening them...just to snug them up...not to clamp the transformer tightly. The hum was still there but since the hum was at its lowest volume with the original tightness I loosened the screws to about the original tightness.

Another forum member that told me he is an electronics technician that does audio equipment repairs suggested it could be a bad capacitor and offered to fix it. Last Sunday he opened the amp up and suggested that adjusting the screw tightness may fix the problem. I explained what the Seller's technician had done and also that I had also tried adjusting the tightness as well. He tried anyway and there was no improvement.

He explained that what the hum probably came from was the laminations in the transformer coming loose. He said that happens over time and that it wouldn't cause any other problem to occur. I accepted that. He then offered to check and adjust the bias for the amp in both Class A and Class AB mode. He suggested turning them down slightly so they wouldn't run as hot and help prolong the life of the other components. It made sense to me since he only adjusted the bias down a few millivolts.

He then sprayed all the selctor switches and volume control with Deoxit and then did a quick test to see if everything sounded ok. He used his iPhone as a sound source and nothing else.

I finally completed my FlexiRack and installed all my components...CDP, Tuner and TT. I then connected speakers and popped in a CD. Had the source set to Aux and the amp in Normal mode. Filters were on. Tone controls set to 0.

Hit the play button. Music was coming out of only the left channel. I checked the speakers. Connections were good. I checked the output connections and noticed the right channel was a little loose. Tightened it. I then put my hand on top on the wood case to slide it back onto the shelf and thats when I heard loud crackling sounds and music coming from the speakers...though I'm not sure if it was from both channels. I powered it down. Checked all my connections and then turned it back on. Now the amp powers up. The lights come on the click you hear after 5 seconds is audible but now there no sound at all. The meters don't move. Tried changing to the B speakers, tried different interconnects, nothing...no sound.

Please help!

Now I feel silly. I had the REC OUT SELECTOR and the INPUT SELECTOR both set to AUX. As soon as I switched to something other than AUX it works perfectly. It's been a long time since I had my CR-2020 and I don't have a manual for this amp. I forgot how to have the INPUT and OUTPUT selectors set and how they function.

Whew! You can all rest easy and go back to enjoying the holiday.

Did you try using a different input? phono, tuner etc? On my CA-810, I had a selector switch that I had a heck of a time getting cleaned. If that is not it, I believe that I have read that Yamaha used some fused resistors in the circuit design. If they are on the amp board and go, the relay could click but you won't get any sound. I had that problem with a Sansui amp and replacing them took care of it. I am sure others will chime in to help diagnose. Good Luck.

Now I feel silly. I had the REC OUT SELECTOR and the INPUT SELECTOR both set to AUX. As soon as I switched to something other than AUX it works perfectly. It's been a long time since I had my CR-2020 and I don't have a manual for this amp. I forgot how to have the INPUT and OUTPUT selectors set and how they function.

Good News:thmbsp: Enjoy!
:music:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/ca-2010.shtml

Thanks...but I thought it was rated at 100 wpc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Glad to see you figured it out. But I would send it to a qualified tech, it on gets better with a service.

Mine has a slight transformer hum as well. I didn't hear it when I as working on it in my work space. The hum of the overhead fluorescents masked the transformer hum.

I'd let someone look at it who knows what he is doing. Those capacitors may need changing and best to do it before it creates a bigger problem.

If anyone suggests loosening the screws on your transformer mounts, that's a big red flag IMHO. That's not fixing the problem - just creating another one.

Back
Top Bottom