Technics Sl-1700 vs Sl-D202

BHaines

I just recently picked up a Sl-D202 which works great and I am overall very happy with. This is my first DD technics tt that I've owned. I have an opportunity to pick up a SL-1700 on CL for $60 or less if I can negotiate down. Is this table a significant jump up in quality? I like the looks of it but performance wise is it any better?

The SL-1700 is a substantial step up in build quality. It should be an subtle improvement in sound, as well.

Most importantly, if it's in good shape, $60 is a screaming deal for a SL-1700. You should buy it and sell the SL-D202 to recoup your money.

It's been posted for 19 days... I couldn't believe it was still available. Now I just wonder if something is wrong with it

It's been posted for 19 days... I couldn't believe it was still available. Now I just wonder if something is wrong with it

Now that is crazy!! Well, who knows. Usually, there either is an email collection scam, or some other. That price would bring a lot of attention around these parts.

I have an SL-1700 and it is really nice. After playing the arm lifts off and goes back to armrest and the table turns off. If that one is in good shape and for only $60 or less it is a steal!

I picked up the Sl-1700 today for 40 bucks! A couple disappointments but nothing I can't fix (I hope). The tonearm rest is busted and needs a new one. How easy is it swap this part out if I can find a replacement? The dust cover is also cracked and missing one of the hinges but will keep my cat away for now. She also came with an AT VM8 cart thats missing a needle. I don't know anything about this cart, is it a keeper?

Attachments

• photo 1 copy.jpg
    photo 1 copy.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 48
  • photo 2 copy 2.jpg
    photo 2 copy 2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 32
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 36
The black headshell is the original - the silver one is a replacement. What cart is in the silver headshell?

You can find the service manual on this site. The SL-1700 manual is not very good. The SL-1700 Mk2 manual is much better and most of the info is similar.

Not bad for $40, I love my 1700. She could certainly use a bath. :) Does the arm lift lever work to raise the arm? Mine was frozen solid when I found it. Same with the speed control knobs. Does yours hold speed?

I picked up the Sl-1700 today for 40 bucks! A couple disappointments but nothing I can't fix (I hope). The tonearm rest is busted and needs a new one. How easy is it swap this part out if I can find a replacement? The dust cover is also cracked and missing one of the hinges but will keep my cat away for now. She also came with an AT VM8 cart thats missing a needle. I don't know anything about this cart, is it a keeper?

You can modify an SL 1200MK2 tone arm rest to work with the SL 1700 shaft, they are going for about 15 bucks. The TT has to be dismantled to remove the tone arm assembly to get at the bottom of the tone arm rest.

Dustcover, SL 1200 MK2 dust cover with hinges about $150, plus you have to drill appropriate holes in the plinth to accomodate the SL 1200 MK2 hinges. An aftermarket dustcover for the Sl 1700 about the same price. But you will need a hinge it seems, and they are not that easy to find.

Cart is nothing to write home about and the stylus will almost surely be shot. Buy a new Shure M 97xE new from B&H or Ebay for around $70 plus shipping.

Not bad for $40, I love my 1700. She could certainly use a bath. :) Does the arm lift lever work to raise the arm? Mine was frozen solid when I found it. Same with the speed control knobs. Does yours hold speed?

The arm lever works great. Speed controls are a little sticky. They aren't smooth at all but once I lock in a speed it holds it. Can I clean the controls?

The black headshell is the original - the silver one is a replacement. What cart is in the silver headshell?

You can find the service manual on this site. The SL-1700 manual is not very good. The SL-1700 Mk2 manual is much better and most of the info is similar.

Yes, I bought the silver headshell. I like the looks of it better, but I was told it is heavier than the original. The silver headshell has an ADC CFX2 cart that came with the sl-d202. Sounds ok I plan on upgrading eventually.

You can modify an SL 1200MK2 tone arm rest to work with the SL 1700 shaft, they are going for about 15 bucks. The TT has to be dismantled to remove the tone arm assembly to get at the bottom of the tone arm rest.

Dustcover, SL 1200 MK2 dust cover with hinges about $150, plus you have to drill appropriate holes in the plinth to accomodate the SL 1200 MK2 hinges. An aftermarket dustcover for the Sl 1700 about the same price. But you will need a hinge it seems, and they are not that easy to find.

Cart is nothing to write home about and the stylus will almost surely be shot. Buy a new Shure M 97xE new from B&H or Ebay for around $70 plus shipping.

Is getting to the time arm easy enough to access, or do I have a good chance of breaking/screwing something up to get to it?

Should the original headshell be superior to the aftermarket? To my war the aftermarket seems to have improved the sound but that could be a placebo.

Should the original headshell be superior to the aftermarket? To my war the aftermarket seems to have improved the sound but that could be a placebo.

The original is not necessarily superior. It does have a very nice easily adjustable mounting system compared to the aftermarket.

Back
Top Bottom