The NEW Grado Hum Database

Sansui Louie

Curmudgeon
I've been loading the collected data from the old thread into a Google spreadsheet located at:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pZm08AqYAWGJQM_YWRJMnPQ

How to use:

To look up a cartridge/turntable combo:

Open the link above. Scroll down and find your turntable make in the first column, the model in the second column. See if there's an entry for the Grado cartridge in question in the third column. If so, observe the results.

To add a cartridge/turntable combo to the database:

Please send Hakaplan (Howard) a PM with your turntable mfg, model, cartridge model and findings. Please refrain from posting the findings in this thread. Postings relating to the findings are encouraged in this thread, but the findings themselves -- please PM them to me.

I've locked down the ability for everyone to edit the spreadsheet on recommendation from the admins and to preserve the integrity of the information. I'll do my best to update frequently.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
All intelligible entries from the original thread have been moved to this spreadsheet now. Entries that didn't list the turntable or left out specifics have been omitted. Entries stating any level of hum whatsoever are considered "Yes" answers -- either it hums or it doesn't, and there should be zero hum present, else it's purely subjective, depending on the listener's tolerance level for hum. Entries that started off with a hum but the owner found a way to correct the hum that alters the turntable from stock are still considered 'yes' answers also, as the purpose of this database is not to provide a resource for such mods, but a reference for those considering a Grado purchase--so that they can check in advance to see if there is information indicating the presence of hum. Mods and corrections can be recorded in this thread, but not in the spreadsheet please. Hum reports should be put in the spreadsheet and not in this thread, also. And please adhere to the formatting in the spreadsheet and refrain from writing essays or information above and beyond the basic format:

TT Make - TT Model - Cartridge Model - Hum, yes or no.

Again, no 'slight hums' or 'just a little' or 'only on the last track'. Yes or No. It either hums, or it doesnt hum.

Please refrain from posting in the old thread to avoid confusion. There is valuable information in the old thread, however, so here is a link to it: (Moderator, please lock old thread?)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46091

Enjoy the newly compiled information and sorry it took me so long to get around to it.

I plan on backing this up to my hard drive at LEAST twice a week. If I have to restore from backup, I will post as such and if so, please repost any recent data that may have been lost since the last backup.

-Sansui Louie

I'll second that. Can't tell you how many times I've used your old database thread and referred it. Thank again Sansui Louie!

Louie,
Thanks for all the effort that went into this. It's a very useful data base for all of us Grado fans.
Bob

Wonderful information! I am thinking of purchasing a Grado, and now I know which ones won't hum (hopefully) :yes:
Thanks!

Just discovered my entries didn’t originally have model numbers so just finished editing your new spreadsheet, real easy to do.

Recently I've thought about how that thread really turned into a monster. Full of invaluable information, but a monster nonetheless. It's very nice of you to have taken the time to organize all that info into something that can simply be referenced at a glance, rather than searching through page after page of the original thread.

Wow, thumbs WAY up for taking the time to sort all of those post out and organizing them into one concise document. Thanks!

Many times I have referred newsters/returnees to your database. Excellent contribution to the wealth of resources at AK. Also one of the few opportunities to such suggest to our esteemed upper management that they "stick it" and get away with it.
- Mario

This new thread is useless becuse no one is talking about their GRADO cartridge- so heres mine
GRADO RED- PIONEER PL-51A NO HUM

This new thread is useless becuse no one is talking about their GRADO cartridge- so heres mine
GRADO RED- PIONEER PL-51A NO HUM

Read the first two posts, it explains how to use. What you do is follow the link in the first post and post your information in the spreadsheet on Google. That way, people don't have to sift through 72 pages of crap to find out the information that they are after.

I've added your entry for you.

Back
Top Bottom