Beginner's Luck on Craigslist Technics SL1200mk2 *need advice on a cartridge!*

Zeelehr

Hello, all! This is my first post on the AK forums, but I've been lurking about here, reading, for the duration of the search for my first turntable.

I've come across what I've been lead to believe is an incredibly rare deal on a crisp and minty Technics SL1200mk2 turntable for only $60. Needless to say, I feel quite honored. However, to get that price it is being sold without the cartridge. I haven't yet learned to navigate the realm of cartridges, and as such what the good brands are escape me, and all the model numbers look like Greek with no rhyme or reason. I just have a few questions:

1. Where should I look for cartridges? Will I get the best value buying new from a retailer, or searching for deals on eBay or Craigslist?
  2. How do I go about choosing a cartridge in the first place?
  3. Being that this is my first TT, and I don't have a huge budget, what are some good options for entry level cartridges that are worthy of the SL1200?
  4. I realize that there is so much space for upgrading; what should be my next cartridge when I can afford one or two steps higher?
  5. And finally, what are some of the best cartridges I could possibly have as reasonable goals?

Thank you all for reading, and I look forward to a marvelous foray into the world of high fidelity and audiophilia,
Zachariah

Last edited:
Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Congratulations on your new turn table.

Did it come with a headshell?

Do you have access to Amazon US? :scratch2:

If that SL-1200 is in operable condition (and it seems to be) and it hasn't been sold (it will be!), buy it now. It won't be available for long. For around $100 you could consider a Nagaoka MP-110. For around $200, an Audio Technica AT440MLa. Do you already have a phono pre-amp (phono stage), either built in to your receiver/line stage pre-amp, or as a separate component?

Balifly, I'm not entirely sure if the seller considers the headshell as part of the cartridge, but if he doesn't then it should come with. If you have recommendations for cartridges, let's assume it does have the headshell, and if not I will buy it from him or buy another online. And yes, I can use Amazon US.

Skriefal, I'm using a 1970s Sony STR 6045 receiver which has a pre-amp. Any recommendations for something less than $100? And I've already agreed to buy it, it's just a matter of picking it up (I hope!) It's been about a week since I offered $60 for it without the cartridge, and he has only just replied accepting my offer. This leads me to believe he's having a hard time selling it (strange...), so I may be in luck. Of course, it's just like fate to tease me like this.

Andyecon, $150 is not doable right now, but thank you for your suggestion. On another note, I'm the kind of person who enjoys a good headache once in a while unless it's the kind that needs me to buy lots of expensive tools ;)

Thank you all for your replies.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new table, sounds like you fell into an awesome deal!

While you don't mention a budget, there are some staple bang for the buck cartridges like the AT95E, Ortofon 2M Red or Blue, Ortofon OM 20, Denon DL 110, and so forth. Sellers such as LP Gear often have attractive pricing, but can be iffy on service and communication. Some people love them, others not so much. One good option is an EBay seller called 2Juki, who has an excellent reputation. Another well regarded EBay shop is William Thakker.

Enjoy your table, it sounds like a gem.

Oh yeah buy the table as soon as possible. Until you have it in hand all you got is a dream....

Regards
Mistrr Pig

Last edited:
Balifly, I'm not entirely sure if the seller considers the headshell as part of the cartridge, but if he doesn't then it should come with. If you have recommendations for cartridges, let's assume it does have the headshell, and if not I will buy it from him or buy another online.

Thanks for your replies.

OK, here is a headshell in case you need one.

Stanton H4-S.V2 Turntable Headshell
http://www.amazon.com/Stanton-H4SV2-H4-S-V2-Turntable-Headshell/dp/B002TP9154/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_d_6

Not a good picture, Google the model number for a better picture.

Here is a good cartridge that can be upgraded down the road, just change the stylus/needle for a more advance - refine one.

Audio Technica AT 95E
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Magnet-Phono-Cartridge-AT95E/dp/B004NRVUMI/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_d_8

Best of luck with the turn table! :music:

Skandl, yeah I do not have the table yet, but the price is agreed upon and a meeting place will be established tomorrow morning. To make matters slightly worse, however, it is not local but a friend who lives in the area can pick it up this weekend and hold onto it until we converge at school this August. Thank goodness he's not into vinyl, otherwise I might be out of a turntable!

Thanks for the offer, AudioSoul! I will PM you if it comes to that.

Under $100 for the cartridge? Nagaoka MP-110 (may still be available for $100), Shure M97xE, Acutex M312 III STR (from Italian eBay seller). That's about it for my < $100 recommendations. I think the Acutex is the best of these options -- but I haven't personally heard the MP-110.

Hi there.
If you're after plug'n'play simplicity goto www.turntableneedles.com (no affiliation, just a happy repeat customer) and check out their plug n spin kits such as this one: http://www.turntableneedles.com/Ortofon-Super-OM-10-Curved-S-Tonearm-Plug-n-Spin-Kit_p_4133.html

Or if you want more money for records this is also a great cartridge: http://www.turntableneedles.com/AT95E-Curved-S-Tonearm-Plug-n-Spin-Kit_p_4059.html

Both of those are great sounding cartridges right off the bat (I'm running the Ortofon myself) and both are easily upgradeable with better (more expensive!) styli further down the track as budget allows.

Cheers and good luck!

A genuine technics headshell + Shure M97xE should come in UNDER 100.00

However I'm a fan of Ortofon for MM carts on a 1200 -- you can get an Ortofon OM 10 Super Phono Cartridge for 70.00 dollars then add a 30 stylus later

I'd also look carefully at Needle Doctor and email them for recommendations in your budget range. They also offer a 30 day return policy which is great. As far as I know they are the only online merchants that offer this policy. Beware of LP Gear and online ebay seller Thakker. Neither are official Ortofon dealers according to the Ortofon website.

Finally, I've loved every Ortofon cart I've used on my technics 1800 MKII and some here say the ATMla is a gret match. But if budget doesn't allow the 2M red may be a old fit

Apologies for going slightly off-topic here.

I kinda hate the Ortofons -- "brittle" is the operative word for me -- and since so many folks here seem to like them, I thought it was just me.

I recently sold an SL-1300 with an OM10 cart on it and after a few weeks the guy popped me an e-mail asking if I had a better stylus (he was interested in the 14). I asked what he didn't like about the OM10. His response: "it's thin." I loaned him a headshell with a Pickering XV-15 and an EVG stylus. He's sold.

I've heard literally hundreds of different cartridges, and the Ortofons -- my first phono cartridge purchase back in 1982, FWIW -- are near the bottom of my list. They seem to have a high-end spike that my ears just don't like. So I really don't understand all the recommendations for them.

Skandl, yeah I do not have the table yet, but the price is agreed upon and a meeting place will be established tomorrow morning. To make matters slightly worse, however, it is not local but a friend who lives in the area can pick it up this weekend and hold onto it until we converge at school this August. Thank goodness he's not into vinyl, otherwise I might be out of a turntable!

Thanks for the offer, AudioSoul! I will PM you if it comes to that.

So you have time to aquire anything you need.

Head shell:http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-TT-HEADSHELL-Turntable-Headshell/dp/B0002E51V2/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

I've used a few of these, I collect carts so I have @ 6 loaded head shells that swap onto a SL1200Mk2. For a cheep generic, it is a pretty good head shell.

Cheapest great cart set up for a SL1200Mk2? M91ED w/ EVG or Pinnifal stylus. Ebay only as the M91ED hasn't been made in a while. They run from $20 if you are lucky to $120 or so for "New In Box" old stock with original stylus. The Replacement stylus EVG is @ $14 or so. So you may get a good set up for $35 but likely will be @ $50. One of the great points of this set up is you can ugrade to a seriously good cart/stylus combo down the road by replacing the $14 EVG stylus with a $180 JICO SAS stylus. That's my main set up at the moment. But I do occasionally pull out the EVG.

If you are interested in my impressions of the various carts used in my system, there is a write up here, about three posts down in the thread:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=369938&page=3

It will give you an idea of what I am hearing and what I was looking for. That should help you decide if your goals are the same and if you should take my advise.

Apologies for going slightly off-topic here.

I kinda hate the Ortofons -- "brittle" is the operative word for me -- and since so many folks here seem to like them, I thought it was just me.

I recently sold an SL-1300 with an OM10 cart on it and after a few weeks the guy popped me an e-mail asking if I had a better stylus (he was interested in the 14). I asked what he didn't like about the OM10. His response: "it's thin." I loaned him a headshell with a Pickering XV-15 and an EVG stylus. He's sold.

I've heard literally hundreds of different cartridges, and the Ortofons -- my first phono cartridge purchase back in 1982, FWIW -- are near the bottom of my list. They seem to have a high-end spike that my ears just don't like. So I really don't understand all the recommendations for them.

Edit, My Ort is an OM5e. I had previously thought it may be a OM10, corrected in the paragraph below:

The only Ortofon I own is the one that shipped wth the Debut III. I think it was a OM5e. I found it thin and a bit life less. Very close in sound to a Shure M97ex. I think there was a trend to try and make carts more "CD" like. A bunch of people change the capacitance in their pre-amps to improve the sound of the M97ex. I've done it with the Shure cart and there was some improvement but never bothered with the ortofon. I just put it back on the Debut III.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom