Picked a pretty neat Dual 1019 today

beatcomber

AK Member
Picked up a pretty neat Dual 1019 today

I just picked up a $25 Dual 1019 today, via a Craig's List ad. This one is particularly interesting because it's a European version with a Dual plinth (not United Audio) and the record size selector is marked with millimeters, not inches. Neat!

It's pretty filthy, the power and interconnect cables are all shot (someone used wire connectors to "fix" them), but it's complete overall and looks good under the dirt. Of course the mechanism is all gunked up. The cartridge is a low-end Audio Technica with a bad stylus; that will eventually be replaced with a Shure.

The stacking spindle is not the correct one (I believe it's for a 1200 series), so if anyone is interested in swapping for a single-play Dual spindle, drop me a line!

My plan is to clean it up as best as I can (including refinishing the plinth) and then drop it off for a rebuild with No Transistors the next time I'm in NYC.

Attachments

• 00D0D_1zzWmmiK9uB_600x450.jpg
    00D0D_1zzWmmiK9uB_600x450.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Looks Great -Does it have the correct 60 HZ pulley on it? Also is the single play spindle the same as the one used in the 1219 turntable?

It will change the voltage but for the cycles the correct pully has to be installed -----best way to check --give it a spin.
What about the single spindle ----same as a 1219??

It will change the voltage but for the cycles the correct pully has to be installed -----best way to check --give it a spin.

That will have to be accessed after it is serviced. It is presently in no condition for any kind of evaluation.

What about the single spindle ----same as a 1219??

Yeah, they are interchangeable.

Yeah, they are interchangeable.

Ok -if push comes to shove and your swap deal doesn't work out --I'm pretty sure I have an extra.

You're building up quite a collection of vintage turntables. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Nice one.

I also got another 1019 yesterday, with a Sony RtoR and a Hitachi cassette all for $50 . Mechanically this one is just fine but I can't get a signal through one channel yet with the cartridge and sled it came with. Even swapping in my other old one doesn't help. However when I use the new aftermarket one I got on eBay it does work. Got some darn tarnish to deal with I guess.

Dual 1019 3 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Ok -if push comes to shove and your swap deal doesn't work out --I'm pretty sure I have an extra.

Great! I'll send you a PM...

You're building up quite a collection of vintage turntables. :thmbsp:

It's kind of hard not to when bargains like this fall into my lap! Even with the cost of servicing included, my total investment is pretty low.

Incidentally, I just got a beautiful European Dual plinth for my 1219, with the flip-down accessories compartment. It looks really sharp!

Nice one.

I also got another 1019 yesterday, with a Sony RtoR and a Hitachi cassette all for $50 . Mechanically this one is just fine but I can't get a signal through one channel yet with the cartridge and sled it came with. Even swapping in my other old one doesn't help. However when I use the new aftermarket one I got on eBay it does work. Got some darn tarnish to deal with I guess.

Great deal! That looks like a custom plinth.

My 1229Q sits in a flip down plinth--- that is the cat's meow!! My dust cover is European and half of it slides back to access the turntable.

Incidentally, I just got a beautiful European Dual plinth for my 1219, with the flip-down accessories compartment. It looks really sharp!

Good for you beatcomber! I think I've mentioned before that the 1019 is my pfersonal favorite Dual.

I just finished a 1229 and put it in a flip down plinth that I had stashed away. It even came with a few accessories. I think I have another one just like it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Good for you beatcomber! I think I've mentioned before that the 1019 is my pfersonal favorite Dual.

sberger said the same thing recently...

I've owned a few 1019's in the past few years, and every one of them was problematic, even the ones that had been serviced by the guy in Iowa, so I got rid of them. But Seth (No Transistors) did such an expert, thorough job fixing up a 1219 for me a couple of months ago, I've been on the lookout for a cheap 1019 to have him work on for me. I feel pretty confident that this will be my last 1019, once Seth does his thing. I'm going to get in contact with him later today.

I recall that the 1019 had more slam and explosiveness than the 1219 I have now, although the 1219's arm may be capable of better resolution. It will be fun having both to play with.

I just got finished detailing the 1019. I wiped off all of the decades of grit 'n' grime, treated the plinth to some Howard's Restore-A-Finish and Feed 'N' Wax, and touched up some of the black paint on the feet. Now it looks presentable!

I also had a chance to take a closer look under the hood. One of the chassis springs is MIA (it shouldn't be too hard to source a replacement) and the 16 RPM step has been sheared off the pulley, which is not that big a deal, I guess. I'm still not sure if it's a 50 or 60 hz pulley, so it may need to be replaced anyway.

I just finished a 1229 and put it in a flip down plinth that I had stashed away. It even came with a few accessories. I think I have another one just like it.

Yeah, that's the type I recently got for my 1219. :thmbsp:
I don't think that 45 stacker is the correct kind though, at least, that's not the kind for the 1219.

No it is not hinged --it opens and slides back -Well I guess one could say part of it is hinged. The front flap.

Yup, we're talking about the same thing. Those are pretty rare!

Last edited:
I picked up a 1009 this weekend with the plinth Ive been looking for (and a Shure V15 w/ original stylus), for my 1019 ever since Montycat showed me pictures of his. Looks like your plinth probably takes the same type of dustcover as this one.

I'm going to switch these out this evening and see if I can get the 1009 up and running in a different base (has the console wiring so I have to do some soldering). I've got a spare sp spindle for a 1019 if you need one, looking for a plug style 1009 sp spindle (or one for a 1225 specifically, or a PE 3060).

Attachments

• GEDC0097.jpg
    GEDC0097.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32
  • GEDC0096.jpg
    GEDC0096.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 26
  • GEDC0099.jpg
    GEDC0099.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 25
Yes the dust cover I have was only sold in Europe where I got it in 1973. I have babied it and there is not 1 mark on it ........and guess what -------I found another on e bay in the same condition last year . So both my Duals 1229 and 1229Q has that style dust cover.
As for bases My 1229Q has the flip down and the 1229 just has the regular United Audio base.(But thats OK)

Last edited:
I love that flip down style base, need to find one now. You guys need to stop posting pictures of these cool bases you have, it's getting very expensive for me. :D

European version with a Dual plinth (not United Audio) and the record size selector is marked with millimeters

Mine is too... got it local also

I got mine from a kid selling his deceased Father's stuff he didnt want to keep - the Father was a WWII vet

I've got a spare sp spindle for a 1019 if you need one

Thank you for the offer! It looks like JHS2RT has a spare that he is kindly sending me. You guys are da best!

European version with a Dual plinth (not United Audio) and the record size selector is marked with millimeters

Mine is too... got it local also

I got mine from a kid selling his deceased Father's stuff he didnt want to keep - the Father was a WWII vet

No problems with the pulley, huh?

I wonder how to correctly identify the 50 vs 60hz pulleys (short of checking the pitch accuracy)?

Back
Top Bottom