Tss 1200

laidler

I should have posted in here in the first place. Anyway for some years I've owned a TSS-1200 subwoofer. It worked well enough, I like the 12 inch CMD in it, but nearly a year ago the amp started sending an awful hiss into the driver and wouldn't stay on for long before going to standby then clicking back in again. I gave up on having the amp serviced since it would cost nearly what I paid for the darn thing new some time ago, and I was never particularly impressed with that amp anyway.

Few months back I got my hands on an NHT SubTwo and WOW! Just WOW! Amazing big brute of a thing, I adore it. However I still have a box with a 12 inch CMD driver in it sitting around. If possible I'd like to find a replacement amp to power it. I'd tried a Dayton SA-230 with it once. Was a disaster. I have DirecTV, with the DVR with two connections for recording two things at once etc. So though not cable TV, it caused the already present hum in the amp to become unbearable. The manual mentions hum, and even if all else fails suggests buying a ground loop isolator. Anyone here ever tried finding one of those in a shop before? Even Radio Shack don't have them. And because it's a two connection DVR I'd need two of the buggers. NOPE!!!!!!! I shouldn't have to buy a bunch of stupid crap just to make something work mostly as it's supposed to. No, no way. Not going to do it. So I sent it back and of course later got the NHT.

So anyway I've been wondering what sort of external amp would even work for this thing and not hum like a transformer on crack. Best and cheapest new match I've found is the Boston SA-3 which goes for around $400. Though looks like it's meant for their in wall subs. That mean I can't use it for passive subs in boxes? There are some NHT amps floating around on the used market but they seem a bit weak, especially compared to the 500 Watt Sunfire amp in the SubTwos. Anyone here have any suggestions which won't kill me financially?

I've also been thinking of the idea of having a new box built for the drive. I don't like the actual design much, I don't like the lack of symmetry with the port etc. I could just build the same box with the same dimensions and just stick the port either out the back in a symmetrical position, or a similar downward firing position but again, more symmetrical.

I'd also like to explore a sealed box design. Would the driver work in one? Also there are a few older Infinity models from the RS line which used 6.5 inch and 8 inch passive radiators. Would this driver work in a passive radiator configuration using those radiators? And if so, how big a box and how many radiators? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated on this. Thanks guys.

The Infinity ssw-210 and 212 are well liked here. Check out their design, two woofers in a sealed box and as a bonus look very cool.
Jim

Oh yeah, I nearly bought a 212 when I bought the NHT, but I preferred the NHT design, control interface, etc etc. The point is I already HAVE the driver and box from the 1200 so I'd just like to use it if at all possible. It seems a decent driver and I'd rather not waste it.

Back
Top Bottom