Luxman R-117 - good for RS IIb speakers ?

srivats

I have a lead on a nice pair of RS IIbs locally ... Not cheap at all by any standards, but the condition is nice, and the EQ box is also there. I currently use a Luxman R 117 as my main amp, wondering if it has enough power for these speakers.. Has anyone with RS iia/b tried using one?

(Sent from my mobile, please pardon my spelling)

I would consider a high ampere amplifier a la Parasound, Hafler, Adcom, etc. I say it all the time...it's all about amperes, not watts.

I'll definitely look pick up an Adcom.. But in the mean while, I'm wondering if my luxman will be sufficient. If it helps, my listening levels are quite low. I just don't want to damage the the speakers if I end up getting them.

(Sent from my mobile, please pardon my spelling)

I think you can enjoy them with the Luxman while you look for an amp. Maybe you'll be happy enough. (are we ever...)
Make sure you get the eq with them if available.
Jim

Maybe but don't be surprised if it doesn't. I also vote for Adcom. You need current. I can tell you that my old trusty 5502 drives them fine. On their own, Monarchy SE-100 Deluxes and Rogue M-180s do not control the bass nearly as well. I know for bi-amping some people say you need identical amps for the top and bottom. I currently have the Adcom for the bass and the Monarchy for the tops. Sounds truly excellent. Surprisingly, the Monarchy's beat the much more expensive Rogues. The Monarchy's are more transparent and warmer (more "tubey" than the Rogues believe it or not).

Back
Top Bottom