Polydome Restoration Thread!

jindra

Since it seems I'm the only person in the world restoring these polydomes using maguiar's I thought I would document the whole process in detail. I've googled for a picture of some non-crusty polydomes and they are a very rare sight. At this point I've rebuilt the mids about 15 times, yes 15. They always start creeping back to their crusty state, but it's decreasing now and lately I've barely had to do it. So for you guys with them looking like mine were or worse you have a fair amount of conditioning to do before they're back to stock. (if possible) Remember guys you have to treat the poly everywhere, dome is not enough. How can we ignore the suspension? It is just as critical to the proper performance of the mid as the dome is. Also in last picture, make sure to treat that corner you dont want it cracking there! I'll create a video of the disassembly if i can.

4jqISoe.jpg

0Uqy37v.jpg

zpbDrdd.jpg

GtJj8DX.jpg

E6YB56p.jpg

P8O6j5a.jpg

lwoqfBE.jpg

cjTam7n.jpg

ylMNZ0G.jpg

GCGGbHq.jpg

zXwEY4x.jpg

Since it seems I'm the only person in the world restoring these polydomes using maguiar's I thought I would document the whole process in detail. I've googled for a picture of some non-crusty polydomes and they are a very rare sight. At this point I've rebuilt the mids about 15 times, yes 15. They always start creeping back to their crusty state, but it's decreasing now and lately I've barely had to do it. So for you guys with them looking like mine were or worse you have a fair amount of conditioning to do before they're back to stock. (if possible) Remember guys you have to treat the poly everywhere, dome is not enough. How can we ignore the suspension? It is just as critical to the proper performance of the mid as the dome is. Also in last picture, make sure to treat that corner you dont want it cracking there! I'll create a video of the disassembly if i can.

I would hope you are not the only one in the world trying to preserve their Polydomes, as there will be a lot less of them in 5-10 years if that were the case. I had pointed out the Meguiars vinyl/rubber conditioner 3-4 years ago. And like you have stated, it took several times over a year or so before they stopped turning again after a couple months. Eventually they will stay clean and/of course more pliable. Someone else had also pointed out another product that also protects them from UV etc (303 Aerospace Protectant), been meaning to try it out.

But like then, I have not seen ANY deterioration in sound etc in serious listening... And all of my Polydomes remain very happy :music:

I do not disconnect my Polydomes from the speaker cabinets, I just disconnect/unscrew the magnet structure from the dome/voice coil and set it aside (as you have to repeat the process every couple months over say a year or more before they begin to keep clean of that buildup), and I use Q-tips for the inner ridge radius of the dome.

But a video would be nice for those on the fence about trying it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom