RS 1B's

Robmag

I have a lead on a very nice set of RS-1B's. I have always wanted a pair and I am going to look at these in the next few days. Is there anything in Particular I should look for when inspecting these units?

Driving these units have me a little concerned. I am hoping my crown Studio Reference II amp will drive the woofer towers. This amp is rated for 355W per channel at 8 ohms and 555W at 4 ohms. On the Midrange and tweeters I am hoping a Citation II will drive them. What do you think?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I repeat tubed. You must have the SCU / Servo to drive correct the RS1B. Without the SCU it sounded pathetic. Your amps are good enough to operate the RS1B.

OK, it could do with better power amps sound better, but this is also a question of price and sounded tasteless.

Klaus

I have a lead on a very nice set of RS-1B's. I have always wanted a pair and I am going to look at these in the next few days. Is there anything in Particular I should look for when inspecting these units?

Driving these units have me a little concerned. I am hoping my crown Studio Reference II amp will drive the woofer towers. This amp is rated for 355W per channel at 8 ohms and 555W at 4 ohms. On the Midrange and tweeters I am hoping a Citation II will drive them. What do you think?

Rob

Rob, First thing is hopefully you can hear them - listen to each driver. If not, take a flashlight and look closely at the Emits/Emims as best you can. Look at the magnets and of course the 'silver'. Not very technical but Make sure everything looks 'connected'. Nothing hanging off.

You have enough power to drive them.

Be prepared to work hard at placement in your room and as others have said - make sure you get a functioning Servo unit.

Have fun and good luck.

Pics when you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have these New Years. I will post pics once I get them home. I have been reading about them and many people love them but as anything there are shortcomings in their original design. Has anyone here upgraded the Servo control unit / crossovers?

I should have these New Years. I will post pics once I get them home. I have been reading about them and many people love them but as anything there are shortcomings in their original design. Has anyone here upgraded the Servo control unit / crossovers?
I'm having a spare set of passive crossovers rebuilt. Waiting for the quote on caps etc. to see if I will upgrade them or just go stock specs. I can post the results after I compare them to the ones I'm presently using.
For the servo control I've wondered where I could send it to be rebuilt or upgraded myself. I believe Maxamillion redid his RSIIb unit. Maybe he'll take pity on us and offer a service for the RS1. :thmbsp:

For the servo, contact Bill Thalmann at MUSIC TECHNOLOGY, INC. (http://www.musictechnology.com/) his work is first class!! Bill is a retired Conrad Johnson engineer/designer. He's worked on my servo a couple times and I'm going to be sending him my spare next year to go completely through.

For the servo, contact Bill Thalmann at MUSIC TECHNOLOGY, INC. (http://www.musictechnology.com/) his work is first class!! Bill is a retired Conrad Johnson engineer/designer. He's worked on my servo a couple times and I'm going to be sending him my spare next year to go completely through.

That's good to know I have a number of them which I picked up quite a number of years ago, and one of them has a problem. I had tried to get Bill Miller to repair it but he stopped repairing them, he said he had to many problems with the op amps failing. I have used a Rane active with great results though, which is what I still use with my pair of 1b's.

Back
Top Bottom