Electronics World Magazine

WopOnTour

Hoarder Extraordinaire
Great finds today at a local estate sale.Besides grabbing an excellent Clairtone 6BQ5 stereo console with a Gerrard Type A, AND 2 huge boxes of assorted tubes.(lots of 6L6 types, EL84,12AX7,6SN7) There was this big box of old "Electronics World" magazine from 1959-1962 that I grabbed for $5. AMAZING-I've been looking through them all-day long, great tube data, schematics, tweaks/mods, diagnosis etc for audio systems of that vintage.

AND
I really enjoy the ads.
Besides excellent ads for amps/kits like Dynaco, HH Scott, EICO, Fisher, Harman Kardon, Heath, Lafayette, etc etc there are a lot of full-page ads for DIY components like Spraque Atoms, Orange Drops,Mallory Electrolytics,Centralab controls,Utah speakers, Mullard, Amprex, and Genalex tubes. Neat stuff.

Lots of DIY too. From guitar and stereo amps, to test equipment and "Build your own tube caddy" plans

I even have the original "Build a Theramin" issue circa Jan 1961 written by non other than Robert A. Moog himself!

I'm also finding the original prices of stereo amplifiers and other hi-fi quite interesting, especially when you compare them from the "Golden Age" to what they are commonly selling for now.

For example (All from various 1959-62 issues) :

Amplifiers (power and integrated)
Altec Lansing 353A $225.00
Acrosound 20-20 $69.50 (Kit)
Bogen AP40 $199.50
Channel Master 6600 $99.95
Dynakit Stereo 70 $99.95
Dynakit MKIII mono $79.95 each
EICO HF-89 $99.50 kit $139.50 (factory wired)
Fisher KX-100 $129.50 kit $159.50 factory wired
Fisher KX-200 $169.50 kit $199.50 factory wired
Fisher X-202 $229.50
Fisher X-1000 $329.50
Fisher SA-300 $169.50
Grommes 70PG 199.95
HH Scott LK-72 kit $149.95
HH Scott 299 $199.95
Harman Kardon A230 Ballad $109.95
Harman Kardon A260 Chorale $199.95
HK Citation II $159.95 kit $229.95 factory wired
HK Citation V $119.95 kit $179.95 factory wired
Heathkit AA-100 $84.95 kit $144.95 factory wired
Heathkit W-6 $109.95
Layfayette KT-550 $129.50
Pilot SA-260 139.50
Pilot 248 $249.50
Sherwood S-5000 $169.50
Stromberg Carlson ASR-880 $199.95

PreAmps
Dynakit PAS2 Preamp $59.95 kit $99.95 factory wired
Lafayette KT-600 $79.50 kit $134.50factory wired
HK Citation I $159.95 kit $249.95 factory wired

Stereo Receivers
EICO 2536 $154.95 kit $209.95 factory wired (+$19.95 walnt cabinet)
Fisher 800 $429.50
Fisher 400B $359.50
Fisher 600 $349.00
Knight KU-45 $135.0
Bogen SRB40 $269.50
Bogen SRB20 $219.50

Turntables
Fairchild 440 $69.95
Garrard 301 $89.00
Garrard Type A $69.50
Garrard 4HF $59.50
Rek-O-Kut N-34H $79.95
Thorens TD-124 $99.75 ($6 extra for the hardwood base on any TD series -lol)
Thorens TD-184 $75.00
Thorens TD-134 $59.95
Thorens TDK-101 $47.50

Some of the biggest movers has to be the turntables. I see the TD-124 and Garrard 301 regularily going for $1000-$1500 on eBay. As far as amps, I guess the HK Citation stuff which often go for $1000
Another "big gainer" % is the Lafayette KT-600 Preamp originally selling for $79.50 and now routinely going for $600-$900 on eBay
The Fisher receivers seem to be the best deals these days. They don't seem to go for too much more than what they went for in 1960. (were they maybe a bit over-priced in heir day??)

I'm gonna scan and post a bunch of the neatest pages when I get the time, especially some of the very useful "nomogram" charts
Plus, I simply MUST HAVE one of those cool EICO Audio slide rules! Anyone have one for sale?

WopOnTour

I just found this old thread in a search. Geeze, my Chorale was more spendy than a Citation II kit? I didn't realize it was THAT good. :smoke:

I just found this old thread in a search. Geeze, my Chorale was more spendy than a Citation II kit? I didn't realize it was THAT good. :smoke:

...and for the price of the Fisher 800 you could get both the Cit II and Chorale.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! LOL
Yea I know. I have a Chorale too (that I've modded the heck out of) it sounds damn good, but it can't hold a candle to my McShaned CitII. Back then the retail value was clearly based on the total cost of the number of components, not the SQ or the "name".(a McIntosh MC-30 sold for a whopping $143.50 and the MC240 was only $288 in 1960)

Pre amps and Power amps were generally least expensive, integrated amps next (but usually still less than a pre+power amp) and then finally the receivers with all their extra componentry and tubes were always the most expensive.
The 1960 H/K TA230 receiver was $269.95 and the TA260 was $319.95 in the 1961 ad I found.
Still all of them have held up their value pretty well.:thmbsp:
WopOnTour

PS> STILL searching for an EICO Audio Slide Rule... Anyone?.... Anyone???

Yea I know. I have a Chorale too (that I've modded the heck out of) it sounds damn good, but it can't hold a candle to my McShaned CitII. Back then the retail value was clearly based on the total cost of the number of components, not the SQ or the "name".

Thanx for clarifying that. If only I was born about 10 years sooner, I'd have a little better handle on this stuff. ;) Can you easily describe some of the mods you've done?

Thanx for clarifying that. If only I was born about 10 years sooner, I'd have a little better handle on this stuff. ;) Can you easily describe some of the mods you've done?
Ha Ha! Well I'm only slightly older than you. LOL

Well it all started with trying to create the neccessary modifications to run a few other vintage tubes (older 6L6,7581, 350B maybe KT66). After listening to and messing with a buddy's Leben CS600 (with all it's wicked adjustability to run different output tubes from old 6L6 to EL34 to 6550) So I decided to try to replicate similar adjustment features on a Chorale I had sitting around. It was already running ~410 on the plates and about -30V bias stock, so I figured I could maybe jack that up (by improving rectification hardware) and make it more adjustable for some fun tube rolling.So I first modified the bias circuits to add 4 multi-turn pots (basically emulating the Citation II bias configuration),added pentode-triode switches and "Mcshaned" the doubler power supply.

However while building the negative bias generator I began to notice some serious circuit discrepancies compared to the SAMs folder I had on the A260 Chorale. What I eventually discovered is there were actually 2 versions (early/late) of the A260. The late build can be easily identified by the presence of a 4th capacitor can, mounted top-side just above the RCA plates. But it also uses different power and output transformer part numbers.

My ability to run many of those "alternative" tubes depended heavily on having (as I had assumed) a PTX that could handle the additional heater current, but the older version the 6.2V heater output was only rated for 4.0A, and the 350Bs I have required 1.6A each! :(
The older model 260 I discovered actually uses the same transformers from the older A250 Epic (6L6) but with the Chorale topology.It also has lower AC voltage output from the bias taps of the PTX.

So subsequently I had to scale back my plans of attempting to running some of those alternative 6L6 & similar types. Perhaps I'll add a seperate heater supply and still do it someday.

Nonetheless after getting it all back together and recapping pretty much everything in the signal path- it sounds amazing, especially with RCA black-plates in triode mode. (albeit at a bit of a power loss) I added a pair of test probe jacks and a 5-way switch to make it a bit easier to rebias when switching between triode-pentode modes.

Here's a before & after the rebuild (but before the pots and switches added) I'll try to post some pics of the finished mods, but if you are interested in more complete technical details of the changes I did, shoot me a PM with your email. Is yours early or late?? :scratch2:

WopOnTour

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, I definitely see 4 cans, so mine must be a "late" model. :D The PT is stamped FT-2963803, & both OTs are stamped FT-2963804A, and all 3 have a 2nd line of 352008. So my guess is that the 2nd line is the manufacturer code? Most of this topology stuff is still over my head, but it's slowly starting to sink in. ;) EDIT: According to the code, these were made by Essex (Transformer Division). 2nd EDIT: according to this http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=01694971 Chicago Transformer was a division of Essex Wire Corp. Interesting.

Well, I definitely see 4 cans, so mine must be a "late" model. :D The PT is stamped FT-2963803, & both OTs are stamped FT-2963804A, and all 3 have a 2nd line of 352008. So my guess is that the 2nd line is the manufacturer code? Most of this topology stuff is still over my head, but it's slowly starting to sink in. ;) EDIT: According to the code, these were made by Essex (Transformer Division).
Yes, those are the version 2 transformers. :thmbsp:
So the SAMs will probably match your amp perfectly. If you want a digital copy, shoot me a PM with an email addy that accepts attachments.
WOT

WOT, are there either Electrohome PA-100, or PA-100 MK-1 listed??? :)
Sorry Bolly I havnt noticed them, but will keep an eye out. After nearly 2 years (this is an old thread) I've barely got through about half of these old EW magazines, they are such good reading! (I really should start scanning some of the articles and ads)

Your Home-boys were originally part of a console or "built-in" installation were they not?
WOT

I dunno WOT, my Owners Manual states, "Has been designed for mounting in custom cabinets, bookcases, wall panels, etc."

I appreciate you keeping a lookout for me.... rare pieces indeed! Thank You!! :thmbsp:

Yes, those are the version 2 transformers. :thmbsp:
So the SAMs will probably match your amp perfectly. If you want a digital copy, shoot me a PM with an email addy that accepts attachments.
WOT

Done, & thanx much. :thmbsp: I've read a little about the 350Bs & KT66s, so I'm pretty excited about maybe eventually hearing them. :yes:

And yet another resurection of this thread.:yes: I'm researching a cicruit from a 1961 Electronics World Magazine that uses 7591s. Any chance you might still have the magazines?:scratch2:

I do and I'll look
Any chance you know the month?
WOT

No sorry, there's no clue to as the month.:no: I would guess it would have some mention of the 7591 on the front, but maybe not. I certainly appreciate you looking. I have the diagram and just a snippet of the complete artcle. Thanks, Jay

Even more proof, there's magic in the old search function. :D Good luck, Jay, that should be sweet when it's done. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom