Console Stereo

speakerlust

When I was a teen there was a video arcade that I used to frequent
after I finished my paper route. The music was supplied by an old
giant of a console stereo what was just blasting away and made the
cool shady small wharehouse converted into an arcade sheer heaven to me.
Seemed like the best songs always were on just as I arrived?
That was almost 27 years ago...............
Here's my question, Why did those old console stereo's sound soooo good?

Fully matched system, no mixing of components that did not work well together.

A lot of it has to do with time and memories and a place in our hearts. Most of the consoles I have heard are mediocre at best, some are pretty good, but I haven't heard any that would take it to my main or even secondary gear. However, the place and time can bring back memories of wonderful music and good times and that is what matters. I think the speakers are the weak point in most of them since when the amps are pulled out they sound wonderful.... usually.

However, as for looks a console can be beautiful, I have a 60's SS Contemporary Motorola console that is 7 feet long with sweeping leg supports that just exudes 60's sophistication and martini charm. It takes up a prominent spot in the front room, or would if it wasn't for the 4-5 pairs of speakers stacked in front of it. :D

I do have a Fisher console that when I listen to baseball on the AM dial it is like being there, it is the most incredible thing I have heard. In fact I am glad you posted this, it is about time to get it ready for spring. :banana:

There is an old console on craigslist that is in the free section that
is 7 feet long right now and I thought of picking it up and reloading it?
maybe a few items from parts express along with a little consultation
from them as to what would sound best in the console? I'd want a
new amp and speakers. I just love the old beasts:bash: :twak: :bash: :tears:

Depending on what it was loaded with, you might not need to reload much. I know some consoles WERE good sounding, but they weren’t at that point trying to get a system to "Image" like we do with separates. Back then it was "Fill the room with sound", witness the speakers were often in the front and in the ends of the cabinets.

Yes, some of the speakers were marginal, and with ventilated speaker enclosures (not ported) a lot of compromises were made. Trying to evaluate a console today is hard, as few have been re-ferbed with re-capping and such, so how could you give then a fair test?

I agree some speakers need replaced, but I’d guess the mids and tweeters are the weakest links in the chain on the higher end units.

I’d love to have the space, time and $$$ to restore a Magnavox Grand to it’s former glory, but it would need a room of it’s own to be truly appreciated.

Thanks Guys,
So OUTLAWMWS, the The Magnavox Grand is your favorite eh?

I would like to know what everyone's favorite console was?
Does anyone have one still?:tears: :tears: :tears:

Some of the amps at least in the old consoles were actually not bad. Seems like many of the folks on here in the tube audio section (including myself actually) have amps snatched from old console systems. I personally like consoles for their visual appeal and the 'fill the room' type sound. Some of them were quite junky though to be sure.

speakerlust said:
Thanks Guys,
So OUTLAWMWS, the The Magnavox Grand is your favorite eh?

I would like to know what everyone's favorite console was?
Does anyone have one still?:tears: :tears: :tears:

I haven’t actually heard one, but the inside guts pics I have seen of the Concert Grand with it's dual tube amps, and the reports of it being THE TOTL console are very impressive. And in the pics I have seen it’s just gorgeous. It's certainly the one I would want to have.

My parents bought a SS Magnavox in about 1965, and it was pretty good, it still sits where it has always has sat in my mom’s LR, having been moved ONLY to re-carpet the room. It's a dust collector now, but as furniture is still in pristine condition.

I grew up with it, and my dad bought it specifically to play his Jim Reeves record collection (He is a huge JR fan) on, He played those records for hours when he was kicking back, He used to lie on the floor before that room finally got furniture. That was the room no one was allowed in unless it was an occasion, (Xmas) or company was over, or Dad was using it as a listening room. Funny, all these years later, it's still the same, except the room is no longer used as a listening room...

speakerlust said:
How many watts did the amps put out?:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

that is all over the map. comonly 6, 12, 30 watts depending on the amp. Talking tube consoles here.

Hey Waiter?..............

I'll have what he's having

To me, 30 watts is plenty of power.
I am wondering if some ever put out anything like 200 or 300?
Any idea?:drunk: :butt1: :butt2: :twak:

I saw a neat console last week, I think magnavox, that has two large stryofoam cooler-looking speaker enclosures. I think each contains a woofer and a horn. Anybody know anything about those?

Uh, no

speakerlust said:
To me, 30 watts is plenty of power.
I am wondering if some ever put out anything like 200 or 300?
Any idea
What's the first amps that you can think of that topped 100 wpc?

Even Marantz and McIntosh, which were top of the line, maxed out with 30 - 35 wpc up until the late 60's.

Hot dog! Yippee! I just love consoles:banana: Last fall I got an RCA in mint for 30$ REAL WOOD!:thmbsp: The guy I bought it from said that in 1969 he paid about four months of salary for it:sigh: The thing that irks me is the lack of info on them.

StarMover said:
I saw a neat console last week, I think magnavox, that has two large stryofoam cooler-looking speaker enclosures. I think each contains a woofer and a horn. Anybody know anything about those?
Yep. Acoustic suspension models from '68 - '72(?) 12" woofer and 4 x 10" horn.

Back
Top Bottom