How would you rank these speakers

steelhead97

How would you guys rank the following speakers if you had too. I know there are people who like one or another but the following are really popular and have been the topic of much discussion in this forum... I have collected about 30 pairs of speakers over the past two years and here are some that i would consider to be common and prized by me and others and would like to get your opinions on ranking them 1-5

ADS L810
Dalhquist DQ-10
HPM-100
HPM-1100
Yamaha NS-1000M

From everything I've read here, I'd be happy to take the loser off your hands, seeing as you are cramped for space and all.

steelhead97 said:
How would you guys rank the following speakers if you had too. I know there are people who like one or another but the following are really popular and have been the topic of much discussion in this forum... I have collected about 30 pairs of speakers over the past two years and here are some that i would consider to be common and prized by me and others and would like to get your opinions on ranking them 1-5

ADS L810
Dalhquist DQ-10
HPM-100
HPM-1100
Yamaha NS-1000M

Just MO.

Its a obvious no-brainer.Truthfully I can't recall having the pleasure to audition examples 1-4,Which probably sound excellent! Alas I have lead a sheltered life..Condemned for eternity to rock with my 1000's:tears:

:guitar: :guitar:

Dave

My personal order of preference would be:

Yamaha NS-1000M
Dalhquist DQ-10
ADS L810
HPM-1100
HPM-100

The first three models are speakers I would love to own personally. The Pioneer's not so much.....

Obviously it's all subjective, and every speaker has it's strong and weak points. But, of those I own or have heard on several occasions, I'd rank them:

Dalhquist DQ-10
ADS L810
HPM-100

The DQs are low bass shy, trailing off hard at 37hz, but sound great set up well with 100+ watts. They're best, IMO, for stuff other than Rock.
The ADS sound beautiful, on any music type, with good bass, but not much lower than the DQs. Not as power hungry either, and sound nice on tubes.
HPM-100s are really efficient and set up well and equalized have a really outstanding "studio monitor" sound.

As for the others, I haven't heard them, but:
Yamaha NS-1000M - I've never seen anyone who's heard them rank them much below the best speaker they've ever heard.
HPM-1100 - Probably similar to the 100s.

So, if I use my typical "uninformed yet strong opinion" of the whole list, I'd bet:
Yamaha NS-1000M
Dalhquist DQ-10
ADS L810
HPM-100
HPM-1100

It really doesn't matter what I think, it's what you think that counts. However, for reference purposes, here's my List:

Yamaha NS-1000M
Dalhquist DQ-10
ADS L810

Any of the above are very nice speakers. I can't comment on the following, but I am confident that they would not surpass any of the above based solely on their reputation.

HPM-100
HPM-1100

haven't heard the NS-1000M, but heard the 1000X. I think i'd go with:

1.) NS-1000x
1.) L810
3.) DQ10
4.) HPM1100
5.) HPM100

stickman said:
My personal order of preference would be:

Yamaha NS-1000M
Dalhquist DQ-10
ADS L810
HPM-1100
HPM-100

The first three models are speakers I would love to own personally. The Pioneer's not so much.....

Just what I came up with.

My take? From hearing all of them, pretty extensively:

Best: probably NS1000. Just plain better transient response than the DQ10, otherwise, it'd be a very close race.

Next: DQ10. Hard to find much fault with them, on the right amp. Could be a tad more dynamic, that's about the only complaint.

Third, HPM1100. That 10" with the 14" PR is AWESOME on the bottom end. Much better bass than the ADS or the HPM100, with good enough mids and highs to keep it above both of them, IMHO.

Fourth, ADS L810. It'd be much higher in the specs, if the bass were more dynamic and a little less upper-bass-heavy. Heck, if the whole SPEAKER was more dynamic, it'd probably be neck-and-neck with the DQ10 and NS1000.

Lastly, the HPM100. Nice speaker, but just not as "even" balance as the others. (If we'd had the HPM900 as an alternative, it would have been hard to put it below the ADS 810, though, IMHO)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Would give NS-1000 numero uno, I own both X and M and they are simply great, in terms of accuracy with proper matching amp, hard to come close.

Thanks for the input guys, i'm kind of impartial to the 1000M myself but i wanted to hear from those of you who have a problem with collecting speakers like myself. I really have to "thin the herd" sort to speak as space has become a real problem at the house here where i'm actually forced to move stuff outside to the covered patio.

If i had to choose i would pick the 1000M, then ADS 810, dq 10, hpm 1000, hpm 100. The 1000M because it's so versatile with all types of music and if you want bass just crank it up on the pre and you're good, I've AB them with the others and those beryllium mids and highs really make them stand out. The 810 bass is better than the dq 10 even though the mid and highs aren't as good. The pioneers are close but i like the 1100 better because of a tighter bass response and the highs and mids are not so bright. I think after trying out a variety of brands and speakers im slowly coming to the conclusion that the speakers that best suit my listening are the NS 1000 yamaha line and ADS line 810 and higher (910, 1230, etc).

GordonW said:
My take? From hearing all of them, pretty extensively:

Best: probably NS1000. Just plain better transient response than the DQ10, otherwise, it'd be a very close race.

Next: DQ10. Hard to find much fault with them, on the right amp. Could be a tad more dynamic, that's about the only complaint.

Third, HPM1100. That 10" with the 14" PR is AWESOME on the bottom end. Much better bass than the ADS or the HPM100, with good enough mids and highs to keep it above both of them, IMHO.

Fourth, ADS L810. It'd be much higher in the specs, if the bass were more dynamic and a little less upper-bass-heavy. Heck, if the whole SPEAKER was more dynamic, it'd probably be neck-and-neck with the DQ10 and NS1000.

Lastly, the HPM100. Nice speaker, but just not as "even" balance as the others. (If we'd had the HPM900 as an alternative, it would have been hard to put it below the ADS 810, though, IMHO)...

Regards,
Gordon.
:thmbsp: :music: :thmbsp:

Does that mean the MSRP rank and the responders' rank here coincide?
Is the NS-1000M just out of the price range of the other four--and it shows?

Perhaps a new thread with the NS vs. ...

AMT-1 tower
DQ-20/20i
KLH nine
Ohm A/F
SpeakerLab 7
Cornwalls
.... or ?

Current prices seem to place the NS-1000M's double the DQ-10's, even though they made twice as many Yamahas.

Last edited:
Speaker comparison

Most of us newbees are shaking our heads wondering why you guys
are comparing those fantastic speakers when we would be extreamly
happy with having the lesser of the bunch.

30 high end speakers collected in two years!!! wow
How much did you spend, is this a full-time job & where
in the hell do you find them?

CL here is mostly flippers that bounce on any deals within minutes of posting.

I know a guy locally with a pair of dahlquist 10's for $200. I haven't listened to them, but I'm not sure it's the right speaker for me. Sounds like you need them 3' out from a wall and I don't have that kind of room available. 18" out is the max I can do.

Back
Top Bottom