Klipsch Jubilee- what are they?

Nakdoc

nakamichi spoken here
I borrowed a biography of Paul Klipsch. Although he was no Thos. Edison, he did fool around with a diverse number of problems, receiving patents on many different electronic and mechanical ideas.
He also had a speaker that seems to have never gone into production, the Jubilee. Can anyone offer more information about this apparent prototype only speaker? Was is too similar to the K-horn to be a commercial success? Was it a larger horn with a lower cutoff than the K-horn?

It has appeared in several recent threads there, with discussions of the history of the design, pics of owners' systems, and links to the current product on the Altec website.

Use "Search" to find 'em. :thmbsp:

They've been in production, you can order them from Klipsch. Basically it's a big folded bass horn designed for commerical use or rather large rooms. Usually outfitted with an equally large horn mid and horn tweet. IIRC it doesn't need to be corner-located like the Khorn.

big.jpg

I've never heard these, but I can tell you what others have said. Among those who have actually heard them and posted their thoughts on stereo forums, a higher percentage of said listeners proclaim the Jubilees the "Best thing they have ever heard" than any other speaker I have read postings about. More than Carver Amazings, more than Infinity IRS's, more than Grande Utopias.

Filmboydoug said:
I've never heard these, but I can tell you what others have said. Among those who have actually heard them and posted their thoughts on stereo forums, a higher percentage of said listeners proclaim the Jubilees the "Best thing they have ever heard" than any other speaker I have read postings about. More than Carver Amazings, more than Infinity IRS's, more than Grande Utopias.

I have heard the Jubilees on two occasions. Both times I thought "Best speakers I have ever heard."

Bob Crites

Klipsch Jubilee's

There is an AK member that has a pair of these. I won't divulge who it is, but perhaps he would like to "step up" and comment.

But what room dimensions would be optimal for those Jubilees? Geez, look like commercial grade "banquet room" material, but I bet they sing LOUD

If memory serves, a two-way version runs about $7500 or so without crossover, and the typical active that people have been running with them runs about $1200 or so. Dean Wescott (yes, the famous Dean G), noted crossover guru (and great guy) now has a pair and has built a passive network for them, with the guidance of Roy Delgado - who co-designed them with PWK.

Roy has allowed those who are interested to purchase his labor of love through the commercial avenues. So far, I think that there are about five or six pairs out there in homes. All with outstanding reviews. I plan on hearing a pair later this year.

Man, Coytee must be away from his computer. He should be posting any second now.

To elaborate further, yes, the bass bin goes higher (and smoother) than a Khorn (to 500-700) so that they work nicely as a two-way, with the larger 2 inch drivers.

I heard ONE last year in a mono set-up (2-way with a passive XO), and was just blown away.

larrycjubileeyk8.jpg

If I had them for my DJ system, I could have performed in Carnegie Hall:banana:

What are the handling specs? 500/ch@ 8ohm

They remind of a commercial grade set of horns used @ a concert I attended one time, which BTW, got me interested in Klipsch. Stood 3' away and hit so hard, my chest started hurting a few minutes later, but the sound was so clean and tight, that it didn't bother me initially.

Next day, my ears were still ringing, so if they are on the same plain as those, they gotta me amazing.

NakDoc… I see you’re in Nashville. The closest pair is ALSO in Nashville although they are a clone. From all I understand, a damn good clone at that. Otherwise, the closest “real McCoy” to you is Knoxville. If you want to give a listen, you are welcome to. Go to www.klipsch.com and do a lookup on Jubilee and another one on “chronicles” and be ready to sit back & read a bit. Plenty of commentary and pictures.

Zilch: Klipsch Jubilee, links to current product on the Altec website? Must be Tom (Brennan) stepping up!! :thmbsp: He’s been here to hear them and I understand he was duly impressed.

As for use in large rooms, my room is anything but large though it is only 3 sided and opens up to a foyer and a dining room. That said, the Jubes tame a 90 hz standing wave that I had with my Khorns. Point being, they seem to be much better behaved than Khorns when in my smaller room.

Filmboydoug: (remember the old Victor Kiam commercial?) “why…I liked them so much when I heard them (same visit with Bob Crites), I actually bought a pair!” :smoke:

70Salesguy: Lemme know when! :yes:

Clarence: pfft!!! (ok, so you busted me!!) :D

YamahaNutz: They will not only play BLISTERINGLY loud (and you thought Khorns went loud??) these things can be intimidating HOWEVER, let me be very clear… they will play loud and do it crystal clear. Aside from that, they will sound fantastic at moderate levels too. IMHO, genuinely the best of both worlds.

Carl G: price: They are actually UNDER $7,000 and that price includes any tax and delivery. You are right in that it does NOT include any crossover at all and if you go with Roy’s pet (the EV Dx 38) you are looking at about another 1,250 smackers AND extra amps for biamping. He’s got the design out for a passive however.

On the picture of Larry… realize that Larry had an unfortunate illness when he was a child and never grew up past three feet tall. Trust me on this, these things are just a bit bigger than a breadbox… would I lie? :scratch2:

Handling specs, do you mean how much power? Quick answer is I do not know because we don’t use them in the configuration (3 way) Klipsch is currently showing them. I say that because the bass bin has a tag on it that says 1,200 watts max. Dunno if that’s continuous (doubt it) or more likely peaks. Either way, that scares the dickens out of me. I’ve got about 650 feeding the LF section and a MC 2102 (100x2) feeding the top section. When the meters on the McIntosh hit .01 watt, it’s FILLING the room with a good solid level of sound. Peaking at 10 watts on the 2102 and it’s REALLY thumping, step on the throttle and it’s unreal.

The bottom line is, they hit this one WAY out of the ballpark.

I keep offering to let folks hear it to try to spread the word. If someone were to buy a pair, it would be no financial gain to me. I just love sharing things that I love.

John in MA: regarding doesn’t need to be corner loaded. My understanding from Roy is they don’t NEED to be corner loaded however, doing so helps add (insert low level frequency that I forget) to them. Roy said you can have them pulled out about 10” or so from the wall and NOT suffer any loss of bottom end. They’ve got a flat back which is parallel to the front for placement along a back wall as well as being triangular like a Khorn.

For anyone that’s not heard me say it yet… “in my room with my stuff”, I could “flap my pants” with my Khorns (which I had in same corners) at 10’ and the sound was blistering. With these, I’ve been almost 30’ away and felt the same snap of the pressure wave pass me that the Khorns had while being 10’ away from them.

On the softer side of things, I’ve owned LaScalas since 1979, I’ve never heard any speaker have the same clarity of these and the same impact that these things have.

Definitely out of the ballpark

Coytee said:
For anyone that’s not heard me say it yet… “in my room with my stuff”, I could “flap my pants” with my Khorns (which I had in same corners) at 10’ and the sound was blistering. With these, I’ve been almost 30’ away and felt the same snap of the pressure wave pass me that the Khorns had while being 10’ away from them.

Yeah, that's what I mean........be the maxell man (sittin' in the chair)
Very deceiving, so that's why all the questions.

Hey Coytee, tell us what you really think! :lmao:

I gotta move out of the sticks. I never get to hear the good stuff.

macaltec said:
What are they? They are :drool: !

you're welcome to come hear them too if ya want... perhaps you can make the same trip as Salesguy... I am starting an uncalled for rumor that he's got a pair of bose he wants to a/b against them!!

:banana:

Filmboydoug said:
Hey Coytee, tell us what you really think! :lmao:

I gotta move out of the sticks. I never get to hear the good stuff.

Do you know where Salisbury, MD is located? I call it the tonsil of the East Coast. Peninsula location and must travel 100 in either direction (except East - Atlantic Ocean) to get anywhere.

X2..my nearest contacts are MD/DC, Norfolk/VA Beach, or Wilmington/NJ shores. SUX!

Coytee said:
you're welcome to come hear them too if ya want... perhaps you can make the same trip as Salesguy... I am starting an uncalled for rumor that he's got a pair of bose he wants to a/b against them!!

:banana:

I dunno, my BOSE 3-2-1 sub is pretty stealth:nono: :scratch2::D

Yamaha Nutz said:
Yeah, that's what I mean........be the maxell man (sittin' in the chair)
Very deceiving, so that's why all the questions.

Something I did for OldBuckster prior to sending them both to him. He's got the only pair of posters in the world that have served as grill cloths for Jubilees!!

Attachments

• poster.jpg
    poster.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Poster2.jpg
    Poster2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom