• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

just wanna double check - swap 6V6G for 6V6GT ?

markus

Master Procrastinator
In rounding up my tubes, I found I have a good quad of RCA 6V6G's - can I pretty much plug these into my Magnavox 6V6 amp and fire it up ?

Tube data sheets are nearly identical from what I can see . . .
 
Register to hide this ad
I regularly swap 6v6G for GTs and have never had a problem. The tube data is generally the same, as you have noticed.
I want the Gs to sound better since they look better, but it seems the RCA GTs have the best sound to me.

Ed
 
sweet

thats what I figured . . . I just didn't want to hurt anything

cool nova by the way . . . my old mechanic had a red 66. . . and a white 55 chevy . .and, and . . . :drool: he had n i i i i c e toys :yes:

agreed on the looks . . same reason I want to do a 26 or 27 preamp, and a 45 amp . ..GLOBES . . . only thing cooler (looking) is the big thoriated tungsten transmitting tubes :ntwrthy:
 
Thanks on the Nova.

Is your Magnavox a PP or SE?
I'm working on a Parallel SE 6v6 amp, I have always wanted to know how
one sounds.

Ed
 
The only difference between the tubes is the glass envelope.

G means Glass
GT means glass tubular.

So I guess it all depends on what you like the look of better. You could always get some metal 6L6 and chrome plate them. :scratch2:
 
IIRC, the GT models usually have slightly higher B+ voltage handling ability.

But, unless the amp is "extra hot" on the B+ (ie, over 340v or so, at the center tap of the output transformer), it shouldn't be a problem, AFAIK...

EDIT: Never mind. I was thinking of the 7408 vs. the 6V6 (same tube, except the 7408 handles 350v at the plate as opposed to about 320 for the 6V6). The G and GT should interchange fine, anywhere a 6V6 was used, with pretty much no exceptions...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
cool . . .

based on the magnavox schematic, they're only seeing 270V.

have 'em running right n ow, and thbey sound purdy gooooood :music:
 
Caution with the metal 6L6 tubes.

jpdylon said:
The only difference between the tubes is the glass envelope.

G means Glass
GT means glass tubular.

So I guess it all depends on what you like the look of better. You could always get some metal 6L6 and chrome plate them. :scratch2:

If the amp used the 6L6 metal tubes originally, you are OK, if it used the glass tubes, the metal ones may not work, they have lower ratings.:no:

Mark T.:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom