Vector Research Anyone?

DaWoofer

I came across a tank of a little receiver for 10 bucks. I just hate to pass stuff like this up. Its 65 watts per channel with .008 THD. Someone paid a good little hunk of change for it I'm sure in its day. I was told just the dial light was out, I will soon find out. Anyone have experience with this manufacturer? This one is the model VR-7000. I'll pop the hood and take a few pics and get back with you all on it. Then the listening test (most important) to find out what I think. It might be one of the magical little units that fly under the radar. 65 watts is no slouch anyway. Talk at you all soon. Wish me luck.

Good luck. Vector Research was not widely known or marketed. My local audio used dealer has a VR cassette deck, the VCX-650 that looks interesting. I know he had a VR tuner and integrated amp or reciever around somewhere too. Pics if you can post 'em, please.

Cool post, I hooked it up to test speakers so it works. DC offset 1.6mV and 15.3mV. Heres some pics. I'll hook it up to the JBL's and report back.

Attachments

• P4010020.JPG
    P4010020.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 146
  • P4010021.JPG
    P4010021.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 176
  • P4010022.JPG
    P4010022.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 87
  • P4010023.JPG
    P4010023.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 97
  • P4010024.JPG
    P4010024.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 130
Good luck with it, I recall the name from the early 80's, the one you mentioned was a $450 deck in 1984. Throw up a pic.
That doesn't look right in print. :scratch2:
The VR-7000 went for $555.00 retail from 78-83.

I know one thing, this FM dial spins WAY better than any of my Marantz's, Pioneers' or Kenwood's. Doesn't say alot, but it's nice! Sound test in a few.

Hmmm, I passed on a VR integrated a while back, similar styling to your receiver. Had LED's across the face for both channels. Seemed built like a tank too and about as heavy as one.

I had a Vector Research VA-1400 recently...

Nice 60 or 65 WPC integrated amp, heavy, well made. Bridgable too. Sounded real nice, plenty of headroom. Sold it to a fellow at work for $120, and he loves it....:music: :thmbsp:

Yes, headroom for sure. I just played some SRV on LP and you know how Stevie 's drumer has a nice crisp snare drum attack, this receiver captures it great. I'm not to impressed with the FM yet, just as sensitive or better than my 2275, but in stereo I seem to have a little hiss. In mono it's crystal clean, it must be a tad out of adjustment. In aux or phono I can crank it wide open without material playing and it's near dead quiet. A 10 bucks well spent. Quite impressed so far. Anyone have any ideas about the FM deal, the signal meter works but the tuning needle doesn't, think theres any connection between it and the hiss. Maybe someone knows how to adjust the hiss out of this thing. If it wasn't for that this it would be a GREAT receiver.

Sounds like a tuner allignment would be in order. Try a tuner into the the aux input and see if it's better/worse.

Well the tuning meter started working and the hiss went away, must of been something in the detector. All well now, just replace the odd 9 volt lamps and all will be fine. Gonna keep it in service for the time being and see if it grows on me. I listen to alot of LP's and its doing a great job there so I'll let her be in charge of the tunes for awhile. Time to start focusing back on the W-4's.

I'd like to pay 10 bucks for one of these Vectors....
vector.jpg

I like the way the volume works, more linear. 12:00 is 1 watt, half way at 5 out of 10. The heavy feel to the tone pots are nice when they react fast. The stereo light and the tuning meter are now rock solid when playing.

The VR-7000 is a good unit. The old Vector Research stuff are roughly in the same category sound wise and build wise as the older NAD products. They just don't seem to have much of a following, or resale value for that matter, probably due to name recognition. That can be a good thing for a bargain hunter though, as most of their receivers and integrateds are nice pieces of gear to have, and can almost always be picked up for next to nothing.

I think you did VERY well for $10.

BT

I've got a bottom of the line Vector Research (VR 2000) and I'm always impressed by how really decent it sounds. I use it as a garage receiver now, but it was my mom's primary unit for many years.

Ahhh crap.... I've been looking at a VR-7000 at the local thrift for about 3 weeks now. They had it priced at $70 but it was due to go to half price this week. Stopped in this morning to check when it was going to be marked down only to find that it was gone. Oh well, I refuse to pay more than $40 for a garage receiver, I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

This unit is a example of a unit with only 3 gangs yet very sensitive and small PS caps but a big TX that never runs short on power. The lights never dim at high power output unlike many of the big Japanese receivers.

Vector Research stuff

:music:On Friday 11/26/10 I went to a garage sale and I purchased a Vector Research VA-1400 amp,VU-1500 tuner,VCX-650 cassette deck,VQ-110 equalizer and a Technics SL-PD687 CD player all for $10.I hooked them up to some no-name studio monitor speakers and they all work and they sound reallly good!I don't know anything about this brand but it sounds pretty good for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom