Solid State Scotts??

BrocLuno

Lunatic Member
Anyone know anything about Scott 355R and R357 solid state units? I'm intrigued by the 355R because it has two tape circuits (fairly normal) and two Aux circuits (not all that common), plus FM and AM. Might make it easier to hook up my tape decks and my PC sound card as my digital deck using one or both of the Aux's.

The R357 is nice and clean looking in classic sort of way. Not as many inputs, but pretty anyway.

Any help appriciated?? Broc :)

closest I can is the 350R...
scan0002-3.jpg

BrocLuno said:
Anyone know anything about Scott 355R and R357 solid state units? I'm intrigued by the 355R because it has two tape circuits (fairly normal) and two Aux circuits (not all that common), plus FM and AM. Might make it easier to hook up my tape decks and my PC sound card as my digital deck using one or both of the Aux's.

The R357 is nice and clean looking in classic sort of way. Not as many inputs, but pretty anyway.

Any help appriciated?? Broc :)
Broc,
I have a Scott 355R and love it! I purchased it on ebay last year for $150 and think it was well worth it. The Tuner section is very, very good. As you mentioned, the 2 aux inputs are handy as well. I am pleased with the overall sound of the unit too. It has a decent amount of "Punch" to it. I have mine paired with a set of AR8 BXi speakers and a set of KLH 17's. I listen mainly to 70's rock and pop. The Who's "Who's Next" on Vinyl thunders on this unit. And my 180 gram Vinyl discs of Creedence and Pink Floyd are just the ticket after a long hard day at work.

Honestly, for a solid state receiver, it sounds smooth and very musical to my ears!:thmbsp:

I have a couple of Pioneer receivers as well, but the Scott is what I listen to most often. I'd grab it if I were you.
cheers,
thx1169.

Thanks for the Info

Gee thanks guys! I'm looking to have a few receivers in my world. I havd a Sony 6.1 for the HT. But I want 2ch every where else. I need the extra inputs as I have all the usual like a Pioneer RT901, CTF 900, Rotel 1010, Kyocera CDP, Sanyo TT and I'm building a sound computer with an M-Audio Board that I'll be running my old vinyl through to get rid of the clicks and pops before I go to Tape and CD. My 2ch's all run through EPI speakers for big listening, and headphones or small "I built them" enclosures with 6x9 triaxial speakers for desktop and low level close in listening. Think I'll try for the Scott? Broc :)

Follow-up

Well I thought I'd follow up with you'all. The 355R arrived well packed in a sleeping bag foam pad!! Got it out of the box, looked OK with a bit of rust on bottom louvers. Kinda yellowish like nicotine, but did not smell bad. Guess it had been sitting for long enough for the smell to wear off. Hit it with some 409 and a clean old towel, shined right up.

Measured the DC offset - speakers A had 22mV one side an 09mV on the other. Speakers B had around 08mV both sides so I decided to drive off B for now. I took it into the shop, pulled down the MCS 3245 and hooked it up to my modified EPI 70s.

Not the best tuner?? I listen to a distant FM station that most receivers need to run in mono for quieting. This one is still scratchy on mono. Hey, it's the shop - can't hear stereo over a drill press anyway? BUT, I scored a yamaha T-1020 FM tuner over the weekend for $15 so I tossed that up and into Aux1. Much better !!! Clear stereo sometimes, clean mono the rest.

The sound is no where near as full as the Yamaha R-700 that was in there two weeks ago. It is better (clearer, cleaner, less muddy) than the MCS 3245. Not a lot of bass resolution with controls on flat - unless you kick in the loudness, then too much.

So, the bottom line is I think I'll keep it. I'll use it in the tape dupe system as it has two tape loops and two aux inputs so it'll handle my PC, a sperate CD (actually the Onkyo DVD playing CDs), and the reel and primary cassette.

OBTW - it has a cool blue flouroscan power meter that will match my two Pioneer Tape Decks - Yeah, it'll look OK in the build-up.

I think I'll send it out for service and see if they can't tweak the FM receiver section. But, that'll have to wait for another budget cycle. Other priorities first.

Thanks again for the info!!!:music:

Back
Top Bottom