I saw a tube amp at London Drugs for $799

I'd be thinking about the following:

1) Does it make sense to consider an upscale tube rig to use as a docking station for a digital device that uses lossy compression to store music.

2) Why is a drug store chain stocking upscale marketed audio toys?

I remember people frowning when Pioneer gear started showing up at non audio salon type places in the 70's. Either people will wake up and become audio enthusiast or we are on the verge of becoming yet another version of un-cool.

I also have seen the same amp sold under the HCT brand name.

The price here in the states is $259

For your reading enjoyment...
http://www.vuumaudio.com/index.html

The specs are impressive...LOL

VACUUM TUBE AMPLIFIER
Power Output ....................................... 15W x 2
Frequency Response .......................... 20Hz ~ 20KHz +/- 1.5dB
Harmonic Distortion .............................. <0.5%
Signal-to-Noise Ratio ............................ >86dB
Input Impedance ................................... 100K Ω
Output Impedance ................................ 4Ω, 8Ω
Power Supply ...................................... AC100 ~ 120V 50/60Hz
AC220 ~ 240V 50/60Hz
Dimensions: (W x H x D) ...................... 260 x 130 x 145mm
Included Vacuum Tubes ...................... 6N1 (ECC85) x 2
6E2 (EM 87) x 1
SPEAKERS
Driver Unit ............................................ 4" + 1" Dome Per Channel
Impedance ........................................... 4Ω
Max. RMS Power ................................. 50W Per Channel
Dimensions: (W x H x D) ...................... 144 x 237 x 177mm

Ed

Don't think i would call that upscale.

It baffles me how people seem to forget that the iPod doesn't force you to use lossy compression.

I am well aware that an iPod is not strictly limited to using lossy compression.... but it is designed and marketed with compressed audio in mind, and uses lossy compression by default.

Also, FLAC files, one of the most universal lossless compression formats, are not supported.

Although 0.5% distortion is pretty bad, it's tubes... so it's better than transistor distortion, I guess. Pretty powerful amp in terms of tubes, and really nice looking. I would really like to hear one, it appears to come with cheap speakers, unfortunetely, but that can be fixed.

Although 0.5% distortion is pretty bad, it's tubes... so it's better than transistor distortion, I guess. Pretty powerful amp in terms of tubes, and really nice looking. I would really like to hear one, it appears to come with cheap speakers, unfortunetely, but that can be fixed.

There is also a 6L6 version on the website, that boasts 2% distortion..and don't knock those speakers, they are the next insignia.

Ed

2) Why is a drug store chain stocking upscale marketed audio toys?

They have a pretty well stocked audio department aimed at the home theatre market. The salespeople are way more knowledgeable than Future Shop/Best Buy and equipment is at least name brand. Also do cameras and computers along with drugs, condoms and beauty supplies.

There is also a 6L6 version on the website, that boasts 2% distortion..and don't knock those speakers, they are the next insignia.

Ed
2%? Might that work as a guitar overdrive channel if you just ramped it all the way up (past rated power)? That's getting pretty high. Maybe just pull out the volume control for max volume and INSANE FUZZ.
Yeah, that's probably not the best example of what tubes can do... and the fact that they set up something that's supposed to sound good/unique with those speakers doesn't help.

I am well aware that an iPod is not strictly limited to using lossy compression.... but it is designed and marketed with compressed audio in mind, and uses lossy compression by default.

Also, FLAC files, one of the most universal lossless compression formats, are not supported.

Rockbox lets you use .flac files on your ipod.
For the money, with apple lossless encoding, I think you're going to have a hard time finding as good a source as an IPOD.

Back
Top Bottom