• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha A-760 II, DC-Offset rising up to 1200mV

darko

... and never give up!
Hi AK'er,

This is a PITA Thing, I cant take longer alone.
Off Course, my Skills in Electronics Vintage Gear is not professional.

So, I need Your Help :-)

What is a common Failure, when DC-Offset goes up and up.
More warm, more DC.

When its cold, the DC is only 50-90mV (R,L).
After 1-2 Hour playing, the Sound interrupt.
The Relay is switching off. - good :-)

I search for Shematics - Modell A-760 II. No Way to find, ether on UPay.

First Thing is repalcing old Caps. I did it. The whole Set... 3 Days ...

Its a very nice little Amp, I would like to bring'em in good Shape again.
The Bulbs ( 14.5VAC-80mA ) are hard to find too. Iam in Switzerland :-|


In mostly Case, when Cap-Couppled Output is present,
-> WHAT CAN RISING UP SO CONSTANTLY the DC-OFFSET,
at the Speaker Terminals and Switch OFF the RELLAY ?

The Power Supply seems to be good. No Changes when warming up.


For ANY Help, I would appreciate very much :-)
Maybe also a Shematic for the MK-II, would be a very big Help.

Cheers,
Darko
 
Register to hide this ad
You might check if the pots used to set the DC offset are still good and replace if necessary (that is, if the amp has pots for that, but I would think so ?).
 
Hey Stoffie,

Nice to see You here :-)

Malhereusement pas...

Only B+/- and Bias L & Bias R

No DC-Offset Pots. Capacitor couppled.

The Big Ones are from "ELNA". 2x 15'000uF at 53V

I dont have this Range here. So I cant replace now.
Also the Scope is in the another House, where I stock Speakers too.



Greetings from the Zürich Area :-) Veeery rainy Days ... to cold ...


Cheers,
Darko
 
Thank You Stoffie, thats the right Type of this Modell.

( Links? Iam not sure about! Its the Icon "World, with Chane" I supose? )


I take a closer Look at this Shematic.
Will report here.

Cheers,
Darko
 
Ok, Manual ordered:

"Your Order Has Been Processed!

Your order has been successfully processed! Your products will arrive at their destination within 2-5 working days."

2-5 Days to waiting? Ok, no big Deal.

Will report here,

Cheers,
Darko
 
Yeah I've ordered a couple of times from them before and it can take a day or two, but usually only one day. :) Hope you can figure it out !
 
A-ha! :-)

I hope so. Iff not, I know a good Fellow.
He have fixed my Sansui 5000A ( this, with the first Driverboards, outch .. )

In every Case, the fine working TA-5650 are still here :-)))
( 1x4650,1x5650, 1x4810, 1xdef.5650, 1xdef.5550)


Cheers Stoffie,

Darko
 
Hi Guys,

Last Steps:

- Last Night replacing temporarly the 2 Big 15000uF Caps with others.(18000/63V)
:= Left Channel only 0.004VDC, rising slightly up and up slowly too, until the Right Channel is too high for Relay.
:= Right Channel ~0.070VDC, rising up fast, until Relay klicks out at 1.2VDC
( per Second: ~ 1-5mV higher and higher )

- Today after Noon, the Shematic is here :-)))))) ( take only 1Day to get'em )

- This Evening: ? Maybe a Try, to not smoking up the Driverboard. ):-)


Will rapport here.

Cheers,
Darko

ps: the left Channel sounds very great and clean -> :-))) ( old Dyna's 2-Way, Back close to Wall )
 
Ok, thats a improvement:

Have Tonight checked a few Voltages:

- Bias, Left CH. 6.6mV ->OK, DC: 0.004mVDC, stable
- Bias, RightCH. 6.7mV ->OK, DC: 0.953mVDC, stable at this Value.
- Relay is not klicking out
- B+/- Voltage: 47.5VDC -> Perfect :-)

Left Channel is still tooo high!

Now I have the Shematic AND - I can compare both Channel Values on the Driver Board and Control Board.

QUESTION, what is a Metal Plate Resistor??
 
Hey Stoffie,

Thank You, Iam too happy, when Things move in a good Direction ;-)

Now Iam reading about Resistors and try to configure out,
what the Reason can be, that a Voltage rising up with the Temperature.

I have some little Resistors here, they regulate the Bias -> Wow!
( Metal Plate Resistors, 0.220K/3Watt )

Ok, but the Bias Currents are fine at 6.6mV. Both.
It must be a Cap - but, I have changed already all on the Board.
More higher ( longer play ) Temperature, is more higher DC.

My Skills "should" improve rapidly, otherwise its only a Job ;-)


Cheers,
Darko
 
I'm no tech..... but could something be heating up and then opening up a loose solder joint? I'm thinking of the bias resitors or something similar. Perhaps re-flow some of the joints? A spray can of cold air might help diagnos this. Good luck with it!
 
Hi packrat,

Thank You for the Tips.

Yes, thats right. I used allready a half full Cold-Spray ( Tube?).
Have resoldered the Solder-Points very carefully.

The Thing is, I cant figure out with Temperature Up/Down.
Must be something other Issue.

I put here up later a Frame of the Shematic. ( Control Board ).
Maybe a "Pro" can give me some Advise.

CU later,

Cheers,
Darko
 
Hi packrat,

Thank You for the Tips.

Yes, thats right. I used allready a half full Cold-Spray ( Tube?).
Have resoldered the Solder-Points very carefully.
.....

I should know by now that anything I think up is pretty obvious to anyone else! Hope you can figure this one out. (My only other suggestion is maybe a diode or resistor in a regulator circuit has gone bad?)
 
Shematic Yamaha A-760 II - Control Board (Mainboard)

Here is a Capture of the whole Shematic:



The Zener-Diode D314 is a Orange-colored "HZ-6C1L"
Can a 6.1V do the Job too?

Cheers,
Darko
 
Its strange -

Now after Start, the right Channel is ~130mV, Left 4mV.
Than it starts sinking to ~70mV, Left Channel still 4mV.
Couple Minutes later climbing up to ~200mV. L:4mV.

The whole right Channel Part (its symetric architecture) is much warmer.

I cant measure a Difference in Supply Voltage for each Channel.

Its Time to get the Osziloscope back in Action :-)
Maybe some Oscilation is here in the Right Circuit ??

Fazit: its harder as it have looks at the Beginning ("aah, some dry Caps..?")


Cheers,
Darko

PS: its Friday :-)))
 
Have adjust the Optocoupler Trimmer from 0.908 to 1.200VDC

Readjust the Main B+/- from 49V to 47.5V ( after 2 Hour playin Diana Krall )

Readjust both Bias to 6.6mV

Result in: DC-Offset now ~30mVDC, Right Channel :-))) Left:3-4mVDC :-)))


It must be Diana ...


LOLLOL

ps: the new Bulbs are very nice to see in Function: 14V-80mA!
 
Back
Top Bottom