Thorens TD-145 motor no spin

albacore

Chunky White Tuna
Just picked up this TT from ebay, seller said

"It takes a couple of seconds to get up to speed but when it does the speed is PERFECT"

Well that was a tad on the bullshirt side.

Can I find a replacement motor or is there something else i should be looking at?

T.I.A.

Were this a TD-160, then I would recommend replacing the motor run capacitor. If the motor vibrates, but doesn't spin when it is on, then you may be extremely lucky, as this may be your problem.

But the TD-145 has very complex auto shut-off mechanism that Rube Goldberg would have been extremely proud-of. If this entire mechanism is not working perfectly, the TD-145 will not even spin. Unfortunately, I suspect that this is where your problem is likely to be. And this is probably not something that you are going to be able to fix yourself unless you are already a very good tech.

Hi,

My first TD-145 I thought the motor was dead, too. Then I realized the on/off switch works differently from the TD-160...you have to push it past the "on" point, to the point where there is some spring resistance. Maybe you will be lucky like me, and be a doofus too...a doofus with a working table.

Dave

You don't say if the the motor is dead, or whether it simply takes too long to come up to speed. Could it be that the belt is stretched -- and perhaps in shipping fell off the inner platter or something of that sort? Belts are cheaper and easier to find than motors...

Sounds like I'm joining a club, but when I first brought home my TD-145, I was convinced I was the victim of a screw job...until I twisted the start button just a bit more.

Hi,

My first TD-145 I thought the motor was dead, too. Then I realized the on/off switch works differently from the TD-160...you have to push it past the "on" point, to the point where there is some spring resistance. Maybe you will be lucky like me, and be a doofus too...a doofus with a working table.

Dave

file this under "Dumbass"

Thanks guys, thats all it was.

Back
Top Bottom