• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui T-80, anyone experienced with them?

idealist

Perfectionist on a budget
Hi,

I have just obtained a Sansui T-80 tuner from eBay. Interesting specimen, Analog with a digital display, and very nice on FM, too.

But the AM reception is pathetic! It has a small ferrite antenna built in, and picks up virtually nothing, compared to other tuners (Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha) that I own, using their inbuilt antennas.

Should I get into it, (waiting on a service manual right now) or are they just not good on AM?

regards,
:)
Michael
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Michael. I have a T-80 but have never tried its AM section. Mine has FM drift issues so is out of the mix until that gets sorted out but overall it is a decent tuner for sure. Enjoy yours on FM and welcome to AK.
 
Thanks for reply anyway, I've heard of the "drift" issue before. If I can find the thread I'll forward it...

cheers,
:)
Michael
 
Hi Michael. I have a T-80 but have never tried its AM section. Mine has FM drift issues so is out of the mix until that gets sorted out but overall it is a decent tuner for sure. Enjoy yours on FM and welcome to AK.

While ymmv, the fm drift issues I experienced on both my Sansui T-80 tuner and my G-4700 receiver (both have analog tuning with digital displays) were due to an IC chip going bad. Expect to have the tuner aligned after said IC is replaced - both of mine sounded WORSE prior to insisting on this procedure from a local repair facility. Post alignment, that great Sansui sound is back.

To Idealist, I would say that there is likely something wrong with your unit's am section. My T-80 tuner does a decent job just with the ferrite bar.....

Hope you get it sorted.
 
Back
Top Bottom