The Fisher XP-9c speakers

zenith2134

Addicted Member
Well I refoamed the woofers today and am currently waiting on the glue to dry properly. The refoaming went without a hitch, and I used the shims so theres no VC rub.

Anyone have an idea how efficient these are? I am deciding whether to mate them with a SS or tube amp.

I'm not where I can check right now but my Marantz 140 (70 w per) drives the hell outa my xp9c's. I refoamed my woofers after I aquired these beasts from a garage sale ($5.00 ea.) and they sound really good. Maybe a little boomy but I helped that somewhat by putting them on spikes (yes yes, what a controversy!) but I might fill the cabinet to tighten the bass up a little more. If I wanna wake up the neighborhood I can do it with these old brown refrigerators! I also put new black speaker cloth over the cross hatch woodwork screens... just a matter of taste on that one I guess.

If its not too late I would recommend checking for voice coil rub as the glue dries. The VERY liquid white glue that came with the foams I used (Advent) was worthless, so I used Shoe Goo which is very strong, sets fairly fast, and drys to a semi-hard state. I was able to keep the voice coil centered with no rubbing by checking/nudging the surrounds as the glue set. This approach may not work for every application but it sure did for me.

Enjoy your xp9c's, they will amaze you I bet. I am putting together a vintage Hi Fi for my daughter which will include the Fishers... her father in law will be wondering why he didn't think of this first :scratch2:

Hey, nice to see someone else who likes these. You know, I just checked for rub again, and there still was none, so I went ahead and removed the shims and glued in the dustcaps. The glue I used is not very liquid at all, and it has had almost 10 hours to set. They seem like they are finished, but I'm not reinstalling em til later on or tomorrow. Can't wait though! I really wanna hear what these can do. I actually like the look of the original grilles, even though they do NOT match my listening room in the basement. They're in nice shape, so I figure what the hell, I'll use em. Thanks for the response, take care.

All done, and installed in the cab's. "Pats self on shoulder" These sound awesome, maybe a bit too in-your-face, could be my amp too. Running these with a hk430 for now, since I don't want to push em too hard yet. Source is vinyl and my PC (FLAC, APE, WAV, no mp3 nonsense). Enjoying:banana:

Ok. SOMEONE is going to have to post a picture or a link so I can see what these look like! I may have seen some but I've forgotten what they look like. I have CRS Syndrome you know. (can't remember shit)

Glad you like em. As I said earlier they amazed me by the sound they put out. I guess I was expecting garbage from a $5.00 speaker but they are worth a lot more than that to me now! Isn't that voice coil one industrial looking bad ass? By the way I also used self stick velcro dots to connect the screens to the box as the originals was wanting to fall off all the time, plus I didn't want any sound signature from a loose front.

Heres a link I found a while back on the xp9c's..

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vintage&n=85502&highlight=fisher+xp+9c+speaker&r=&session=

omg I won't get booted off the forum for visiting with the guys in the Asylum will I? :no:

Yeah I've got the original manual and it states 28-22000 hz, 12 pound magnets on the woofers!! Really impressive design.

I will try and post a pic but I'll have to borrow a camera since mines shot. Take care

are those the one's with 15's and look like this? i have a xp-9 orphan and love the look but it needs more bass.

Attachments

• fisher xp-9c.JPG
    fisher xp-9c.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 327
Those are the exact speakers. In fact the cabs (under the grille) are in better shape than mine. The outer cabinets on mine are good still thank goodness.

I am listening to these right now, and in fact I think they are too bassy. I have everything set flat, tone defeat on, and the tweeter controls set to '+'. My problem is that they are on the floor right now. I don't have any speaker stands big enough for these. Next I will try moving this setup upstairs and placing them on a large bookshelf.

When I removed the woofers to put the new foam surrounds on them I noticed that the top half of the cabinet was filled with pink fiberglass insulation. I would imagine that has some effect on tightening up the bass. I also read where a guy lined his xp9c's with 3/8" sheetrock to add dampening. That would be cheap and easy to do... but wow, you would need a winch to move them around!

dat521, I can't imagine needing more bass. Could there be something amiss with your crossover? What size amp are you running it with? As I said in an earlier post my Marantz 140 (70 wpc) runs the hell outa these speakers with NO need for a subwoofer. I really like the ugly beasts. :thmbsp:

Is that the pair that was on NYC Craigslist a few weeks ago? I seriously considered it but was too busy and lazy (a bad combination) to run out to Queens for them.

Nice score!

I have a pair of XP 9-c speakers that I rescued from the dump several years ago. They need refoaming. Where did you get the surrounds for those drivers? THanks Norm

Adding stuffing will tighten the bass, but it may also add to the apparent bass. Getting off the floor by 8" or more will help. Going up one woofer diameter will help the most. Getting them away from walls and especially corners will reduce bass too.

Great to see the old beasts running!

Back
Top Bottom