Radio Shack RXT6 aka Shure M111E

Paul C

Years ago I found the Radio Shack / Shure cartridges to be excellent values, especially the RXT4, RXT5, and RXT6. The RXT4 was a rebadged Shure M97ED. The RXT6, which looked to me to be identical to the RXT5 (M105E?), was a rebadged Shure M111E.

So, why do I like these cartridges? First, they were relatively inexpensive. They were just a slight step down from the V15 series available then, but at much less cost. And even now, bearing the Radio Shack/Realistic label, they get no respect... therefore they don't bring the kind of prices on auction sites that the identical Shure cartridges bring. And though the original Shure replacment stylii have all but disappeared, there are plenty of excellent aftermarket replacements available for reasonable prices.

The RXT6/M111E (or M111HE if equipped with the hyper elliptical stylus) is a P-mount cartridge that came with a 1/2" adapter.

Here are a few photos. This is an RXT6 I just bought from that famous auction site. It was mounted on a BPC turntable for a BIN of $25. I had the seller ship me only the cartridge and discard the turntable, which saved a lot of shipping hassle for him and shipping cost for me. I have it mounted on a Tonar headshell from Turntableneedles.com. This cartridge came with a perfectly usuable original stylus, which was just icing on the cake. This stylus is the Radio Shack R16X, which is the same as the Shure N111E but for the color of the brush guard. As you can see, it is similar to other Shure stylii with the brush-stabilizer.

attachment.php

This next one is an RXT6 I've had for some years now. It's mounted on the Technics headshell that came with this Technics SL-D2 turntable.

I previously had the nearly identical RXT5 and needed a new stylus. I went to the Rat Shack for a new stylus and instead bought this RXT6 on sale for about $30, if I remember correctly. A real steal. Hindsight being 20-20, I should have bought several. Being P-mount, I simply unplugged the RXT5 and plugged in this RXT6. I now wish I had saved the old RXT5 cart body.

I have an LPGear.com N97HE stylus plugged into this RXT6. It required trimming a little angled plastic section on top to fit, but that was quick and easy. That piece interfered with the plastic block glued on top of the cartridge body that sticks out, as can be seen in later photos. (Is there any reason that plastic piece on top can't be pried off and discarded? I'm tempted.)

attachment.php

And the RXT6 doing what it does best, playing records. The little brush presses down on the record surface, and wipes away dust and supports some of the tracking force, 1/2 gram. So, if the total tracking force is set to 1.5 grams, the actual force on the stylus is 1.0 gram, and 0.5 gram on the brush. Set the Anti-Skate function to be the same as total tracking force, in this case, 1.5 grams.

Optimum tracking force for this cartridge is 0.75 - 1.5 grams without the brush. With brush, that would be from 1.25 - 2.0 grams. I use the brush and set total tracking force to 1.5 grams, which seems to work well.

The brush and the viscous damper act as a sort of shock absorber, or very low frequency filter, and help the cartridge ride over warps. It works, and works well.

attachment.php

The brush can be snapped down and functions as a stylus guard.

attachment.php

It can also be snapped all the way up, off the record, if you don't wish to use the brush-stabilizer. Adjust the tracking force accordingly.

attachment.php

Here is a front view. You can see that the cartridge body is the same shape as the V15-V, M97xE, M92E, etc. Unlike the M92E, the RXT6 has a plastic part on top, whose purpose escapes me, other than to prevent directly plugging in N97ED or EJ series stylii. That little plastic part on top(with "Realistic" molded in) is the same shape as the one on top of the Me94P, Me96P (both with "Encore" molded in), and M99E (with "Shure" molded in). In fact, I would not be surprised to find out these were the same cartridges but for the stylus. I highly suspect they are really the same.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The original stylus for the RXT6 / M111E is the R16X (Radio Shack's number) or N111E (Shure's number). Currently available stylii that will fit and work are Shure N97xE, N92E, and any other stylus made for the Me94P, Me96P, M99E, M110E, 1000E, etc. Original Shures are almost impossible to find now, but there are plenty of good aftermarket from Jico, LPGear, Turntableneedles.com, and others. N110E, N110HE, N105E, N111E, N111HE aftermarket or replacement stylii will plug right in. N97ED, N97EJ, and N97HE replacement stylii will all fit, but require trimming the plastic as mentioned before. The N97HE is hyperelliptical, and the best of those three.

Update: Hakaplan advises that Jico's N110HE, at $19.00 plus shipping, is a "best buy" in hyper elliptical stylii for this cartridge series. LPGear has a very good replacement for the Radio Shack R16X stylus that includes the brush stabilizer for $45.00.

As far as I know, all stylii that fit the RXT6 will also fit the RXT5.

Camera technique... I got back about 18" and used the Zoom to close in. Also I set the camera to close focus. The flash was too much, causing a white glare, so when taking these photos I covered about 3/4 of the flash lens with my finger. This seemed to work well.

* About those headshells... even though they look identical but for color, and Tonar labeling instead of Technics, the weight is different. I have to balance and reset tracking weight if I change headshells, even though both cartridges are the same.

Attachments

• RXT6 A.JPG
    RXT6 A.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,266
  • RXT6 B.JPG
    RXT6 B.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,828
  • RXT6 Record.JPG
    RXT6 Record.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,293
  • RXT6 Front.JPG
    RXT6 Front.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,734
  • RXT6 Side.JPG
    RXT6 Side.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,723
  • RXT6 Brush Up.JPG
    RXT6 Brush Up.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,719
  • RXT6 Brush Down.JPG
    RXT6 Brush Down.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,812
Now I'm curious: I've got a R25XT with a Shure 3X stylus and a R1000XT with a Shure 8x stylus, both off yard sale TTs. Any good?

Now I'm curious: I've got a R25XT with a Shure 3X stylus and a R1000XT with a Shure 8x stylus, both off yard sale TTs. Any good?

The R1000XT is the better of the two--essentially it's an M91ED, .2 x .7 elliptical @ .75-1.5g tracking force. The R25XT is .4 x .7 tracking at 1.5-3g. It can be upgraded to the equivalent of an M75ED type II (same specs as the M91ED) with that N97ED/II stylus. The type II in this case refers to the body style. The M91ED (and the original M75) had a smaller, square cross section body. The type II body which started with the M95 and everything later had a wider body with the angled bottom. Looking at your two cartridges, does that jive with the body styles of your two cartridges?

CORRECTION: the R1000XT is not an M91ED--mistake on the Shure discontinued styli chart. The M91ED stylus will not fit it. It has the newer wide/angled body.

Thanks for the information. Both carts have the angled body; I'm not sure I understood your explanation about when Shure went to the type II body but at the moment I'm about ready to fall asleep at the keyboard so I'll take another stab at it in the morning.

If the lpgear specs are correct, the ME94P has only 20db channel sep., while the RXT6 has 25. Got an M92E lying around? It has the same 20db channel sep. Put the RXT6 stylus in it and compare the two. If they sound the same, then the likelihood is that the ME94P will, too.

I don't have an M92E now, but did until earlier this year. And I did try the stylii I had for the RXT6... two different N111E's and an N97xE. They sounded the same in both cartridges as far as I could tell. Quite an improvement over the N92 stylus. I could not tell the difference between the N111E and N97xE. But the N92E stylus sounded the same in both cartridges.

I don't know how audible 20 db separation vs 25 db separation would be. Can you hear that? I don't know. But I do think that 80%-90% of the sound is in the stylus.

That would be another bargain setup... M92E, toss the stylus, or use it for party music, and plug in an N97HE replacement stylus.

Paul excellent overview on the RXT6 series. I read your other posts and have now own a TX6 on a Sansui SR838. Is there a visual way to id. the elliptical stylus versus the standard? This is in fact my first P-mount and the speed at which they can be swapped out is sure a big plus. :yes:

Thanks, totem. The elliptical stylus was the standard stylus for this cartridge. The hyper elliptical is the better replacement. I don't know how you can tell the difference by eye.

Borrowing one of Blue Meanie's photos, this is the piece of plastic that must be trimmed off the stylus assembly in order to use the N97ED or N97HE with the RXT5, RXT6, M105E, M111E, M111HE.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trim piece.jpg
    Trim piece.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,796
You can also swap in the N78 stylus, play a 78 at 45 rpm. Feed that too slow signal from a line level output on your stereo to the Line In jack on your computer soundcard. Then using a wave editing program, speed up the recording by a ratio of 78/45 or 1.73. Run a depop/declick filter, and any other EQ needed to clean up the sound. On the oldest 78's, those recorded1918-1925 or so, filter out everything above 5 khz or 6 khz. This loses no musical content but greatly reduces hiss and surface noise.

And you end up with a listenable recording.

Here's my RXT-4 which I pulled off a cheapo Garrard TT. Still waiting on the new stylus. For some reason I seem to recall that the N97xE will not fit this cart, but the HE will. Not sure. I settled on the N97ED copy made by Phanstiehl. About $23 including shipping. I'm real cheap.

Attachments

• RXT4 004.jpg
    RXT4 004.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 242
  • RXT4 007.jpg
    RXT4 007.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 208
  • RXT4 010.jpg
    RXT4 010.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 231
Paul excellent overview on the RXT6 series. I read your other posts and have now own a TX6 on a Sansui SR838. Is there a visual way to id. the elliptical stylus versus the standard? This is in fact my first P-mount and the speed at which they can be swapped out is sure a big plus. :yes:

Totem, the original Shure stylii for the RXT5 and RXT6, N105E, N111E, N111HE had different color brush-stabilizers (they called "dynamic stabilizer"). The N111E had a black guard, elliptical tip. The Radio Shack version of the N111E was called the R16x, and the guard was white as in the photos above, same elliptical tip. The N111HE was red, hyperelliptical. The N97xE that is used on the M97xE cartridge is blue.

Among the earlier N97 series, ED, EJ, HE, I don't know how to tell them apart visually other than the model sticker on the brush, if there is one.

Another stylus for the RXT5 and RXT6 is this one from LPGear.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=RSR16X

This is their replacement for the R16x.

It is hyperelliptical and has the dynamic stabilizer (brush).

I did it again... another cartridge score... this time a Shure 1000E from that famous auction site. I "won" the bid against one other bidder for a mere $9.39 + 3.00 shipping, grand total $12.39.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The Shure 1000E appears to have the same body as the RXT5, RXT6, M111E, M99E, etc. It has the same styus as the M99E, the blue N99E, a .2 x .7 elliptical.

I can always "upgrade" to a better stylus, but this one looks and sounds like new. It sounds good! And both channels working and balanced, so, no problem with the cartridge, either. This one would have been a bargain even if I had to buy a new stylus. And I can mix and match with all of the carts and stylii I have already.

For just a few cents over $12, wow! :D

Bargains CAN be found... you just have to look.

And Hakaplan recommends the bargain of the century stylus for this cartridge series, the Jico replacement for the N110HE, a good hyperelliptical stylus for a mere $19.00. Thanks!!! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• Shure 1000E a.jpg
    Shure 1000E a.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 961
  • Shure 1000E b.jpg
    Shure 1000E b.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 909
I did it again... another cartridge score... this time a Shure 1000E from that famous auction site. I "won" the bid against one other bidder for a mere $9.39 + 3.00 shipping, grand total $12.39.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The Shure 1000E appears to have the same body as the RXT5, RXT6, M111E, M99E, etc. It has the same styus as the M99E, the blue N99E, a .2 x .7 elliptical.

I can always "upgrade" to a better stylus, but this one looks and sounds like new. It sounds good! And both channels working and balanced, so, no problem with the cartridge, either. This one would have been a bargain even if I had to buy a new stylus. And I can mix and match with all of the carts and stylii I have already.

For just a few cents over $12, wow! :D

Bargains CAN be found... you just have to look.

And Hakaplan recommends the bargain of the century stylus for this cartridge series, the Jico replacement for the N110HE, a good hyperelliptical stylus for a mere $19.00. Thanks!!! :thmbsp:
That's a coincidence. Just recommended that same stylus to someone else in a different thread. It is dynamite. Yep, if you know what to look for, excellent sound can be had for very little. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom