Any DAT users/fans out there? My Sony DTC-75ES...

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Any DAT users/fans out there? My Sony DTC-75ES has been sitting idle. A belt is needed, as well as a few tapes.

What do you like about these DATs? Any pros and Cons, any brand?

I'm debating if it's worth my bother to re-belt, or even incorporate into my system.

Whaddya think?

I've got a DAT machine. It sounds pretty good overall. But I never use it anymore. Frankly DAT was obsoleted by recordable CDs, and I don't really see its purpose anymore.

I picked this item up for use as a DAC from someone who's pretty knowledgeable about these things, but was advised by someone else who's pretty knowledgeable about these things it wouldn't work as such.

Just uncovered a bit of info though-

"The Sony DTC-75ES uses 1-bit bitstream A/D and D/A converters and has a very neutral sound. When no DAT tape is placed in the unit, and the record button is pressed, then the Sony DTC-75ES is capable of operating as a D/A converter via the fiber optic or coaxial digital links..."

So, maybe that's possible after all...

I also have a Sony DTC-75ES. I really don't use it anymore, but will hook it up once my listening room is finished, which will probably mean about 12 months from now :-(

I also thought of using it as a DAC, but haven't tried since reading in the manual that it was a 1-bit DAC. I just assumed my recently acquired Adcom GDA-600 was better, so why bother. Perhaps a showdown between the two will be in order when the time comes.

I also have a Sony DTC-75ES. I really don't use it anymore, but will hook it up once my listening room is finished, which will probably mean about 12 months from now :-(

I also thought of using it as a DAC, but haven't tried since reading in the manual that it was a 1-bit DAC. I just assumed my recently acquired Adcom GDA-600 was better, so why bother. Perhaps a showdown between the two will be in order when the time comes.

It will be an interesting showdown- one I'd be interested in reading.

I'm finding a lot of praise for that DAC in the Sony- it was their top of the line DAT.

I wonder if it's the same DAC as used in their upper-model CD players of the time?

They fetch big bucks, and a friend with one says it shamed his Entech,:scratch2:

I've got an entech too. Maybe I should do a shootout...

Hay- I also wonder if the remote control volume would make it a remote-control volume DAC?

If so, that's a nice feature indeedy.

Hmmmmmm....

I currently own a 75ES too and it sounds very good. I also use it as a D/A converter, just press record with no tape in and voila! I also owned a Sony DTC-59ES, DTC-87ES an amazing machine I might add and a Technics SV-DA10. It's mainly used for show now...:D

I currently own a 75ES too and it sounds very good. I also use it as a D/A converter, just press record with no tape in and voila!...

This is good news to my ears!

Now, tell me- does the unit work as a remote-controlled volume DAC?

Will the DAT remote's volume button control the volume when used as a DAC?:scratch2:

I currently own a 75ES too and it sounds very good. I also use it as a D/A converter, just press record with no tape in and voila! I also owned a Sony DTC-59ES, DTC-87ES an amazing machine I might add and a Technics SV-DA10. It's mainly used for show now...:D
Don't you mean A to D convertor?

Yes, I think that the Sony should function very well in this role: Far better than any sound card that you might put into your computer at least. The trick is that you need to have a good SPDIF input on your computer to get the information out of it.

Don't you mean A to D convertor?

Yes, I think that the Sony should function very well in this role: Far better than any sound card that you might put into your computer at least. The trick is that you need to have a good SPDIF input on your computer to get the information out of it.

I sometimes run a digital signal via coax cable from my computer to the 75ES and feed the analog out of the 75ES to my preamp.

the 75es will work beautifully as a DAC. Bit of overkill though to run the thing for that. Switch off the display to help the VFT last longer. No control over volume. DAT was never bettered by a home recordable format and perfomance is still nothing short of outstanding. I have two 55es DATs, one bought brand new and still boxed, the other a few months ago for $60. Watch out for one thing- you must open it up and remove any of the OLD FOAM on the small head cleaning roller. It has probably disintegrated by now, but if there is any bits left it can get into the head gaps and completely wreck your tapes and the heads. Leave the roller arm as it doesn't touch anything once the foam is gone. Means you need to clean the heads a little more often- that's all. The best thing is a POS (point of sale) cleaner card. These little suckers are made by 3M for cleaning card swipe terminal heads in eftpos machines. You can get them from the banks for free if you are a retailer that uses their terminals. They are a credit card sized piece of white stuff like pressed card/fabric soaked in isopropyl alcohol sealed in a foil pack. Spin the head drum and hold the card against the drum- easy...

I got 2 DAT recorders a Technics SVDA10 that plays well but eats the odd tape :( so its a display piece now.

The other is a nice low hour Panasonic SV3800 that is realy only used to record LPS prior to burning to CD on my computer via an optical input, I find that this is way preferable to using the sound card to do the conversion.
As a recorder and a player its an excellent machine but they are touchy at times and as I am using second hand tapes , dropouts can sometimes be an issue.

Dave

One thing I've run across recently (Panasonic 3700 and Sony ?690?) is that all of my TDK, Maxell and Sony tapes are fine & sound great, and without exception EVERY one of my Ampex DATs has failed and is unusable. This will cost me at least 40+ days of labor to go back to the multi-track masters and re-mix.

Date codes on the Ampex tapes are 1994-1996. All have been stored together, if fact the Ampex tapes are probably the newest ones I have.

:gigglemad

je

Watch out for one thing- you must open it up and remove any of the OLD FOAM on the small head cleaning roller. It has probably disintegrated by now, but if there is any bits left it can get into the head gaps and completely wreck your tapes and the heads. Leave the roller arm as it doesn't touch anything once the foam is gone.

Thanks for reminding me, I removed it from my 87ES, but didn't think to do it on my 75ES...

One thing I've run across recently (Panasonic 3700 and Sony ?690?) is that all of my TDK, Maxell and Sony tapes are fine & sound great, and without exception EVERY one of my Ampex DATs has failed and is unusable. This will cost me at least 40+ days of labor to go back to the multi-track masters and re-mix.

Date codes on the Ampex tapes are 1994-1996. All have been stored together, if fact the Ampex tapes are probably the newest ones I have.

:gigglemad

je
The Problem with your ampex tapes is what is known as "sticky-shed syndrom". Ampex tapes are infamous for this as most R2R owners know only all too well.

I won a PIONEER D-900 Japanese version Dat in an auction awhile back.
I always wanted one but the high prices early on killed it for me.
Wanted to add it to my PIONEER stack and find out what its all about.
It is an early model and cannot record optically @44.1 but I still enjoy it.
I record best of 2-hour tapes for deep chilling on my couch.
CD-changer can give you extended time but I really enjoy DAT.
Then again I am always about 10 years behind the times and love playing with older & obsolete technology.

So if anyone has a PIONEER DAT they don't won't anymore let me know.
(sorry moderator if this is forbidden- trolling like that?!)

Back
Top Bottom