Au-717 Volume Control Cleaning

cgolf

I have been cleaning the pots on a 717 but I'm still losing volume on the left channel. When I started to take the cover plate off the volume control I stopped because it felt like something was pushing up on the cover. Like some springs or something. Are there any springs or other small pieces that might pop out or fall out when the cover plate is removed?? If I remove the plate, can I just spray cleaner all inside the pot?

it's not really a pot but a stepped attenuator, abit different. Should be able to be cleaned with cleaner, carefully. have you tried other controls than the vol control? balance, spkr switch, tape, loudness, etc??? how bout the rr pnl pre/main connector switch?

I have been cleaning the pots on a 717 but I'm still losing volume on the left channel. When I started to take the cover plate off the volume control I stopped because it felt like something was pushing up on the cover. Like some springs or something. Are there any springs or other small pieces that might pop out or fall out when the cover plate is removed?? If I remove the plate, can I just spray cleaner all inside the pot?

Hi,
Nothing will snap off when you remove the cover (2 screws holding) they are all firmly hold together with a snap ring on the shaft. Some alps model has green strip plastic cover on the terminal lug where you can see the inside and spray the internals. Other are completely sealed and you have to removed the cover for convenient spraying. Dont try to remove the original snap ring lock unless you are ready to modify or complete overhaul.

Regards!

Attachments

• Volume.JPG
    Volume.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Repaired Volume.JPG
    Repaired Volume.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 89
Wow, I cleaned the amp / pre-amp switch in the back and that brought everything back to life in both channels. Appreciate the advice. never would have thought about cleaning that switch.

So to anyone who is new or not new but is looking for answers and advice, this is a great place to get both. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom