K-TEL and RONCO records

sqdlvr

Hey Guys,
For those of us who were around in the 70's...when you bought a K-Tel or Ronco compilation album did you all notice how the sonics were so low. Also the songs were cut short or in today's jargon edited? However as the 80's came I thought K-Tel did a better job...Any thoughts or memories. I ask cuz I was just playing an album from K-Tel called "Dynamic Sound" and it was more like "Distorted Sound"...LOL:thumbsdn:

The last time I listened to a K-Tel record was when I was a kid so I can't remember the quality... Of course, my system at the time probably wouldn't have exposed anything... I do remember the edited songs. I had one with Boston's "Don't Look Back" on it and it was cut short! I guess they wanted to put as many songs as possible on each side. I remember there were a ton of songs on each LP.

I don't have that particular album, but I do have a few and personally I really like them. It's a way to listen to many good tunes without changing the album. I did not notice the sound quality being any worse than my other records. Who knows, after all the years of concerts and r&r my ears aren't what they used to be. Anyway here's a list of most of my Ronco/K-Tel enjoy.

K-Tel Presents Pure Gold Collection
K-Tel Presents Flash Back Hits Of The 60's
K-Tel Presents 20 Power Hits
K-Tel Presents 20 Sounds Spectacular
K-Tel Presents 22 Explosive Hits
K-Tel Presents Believe In Music
K-Tel Presents Disco Mania
K-Tel Presents Gold Rush 79
K-Tel Presents Hitline
K-Tel Presents Music Magic
K-Tel Presents Music Power 22 Original Hits
K-Tel Presents Sound Waves
K-Tel Presents The Elite
K-Tel Presents The Hit List
Ronco Presents Hit After Hit
Ronco Presents I Love Music
Ronco Presents In Concert
Ronco Presents Shining Stars
Ronco Presents Sound Explosion
Ronco Presents In Concert
Ronco Presents Star Trackin' 76
Ronco Presents Solid Gold

I bought a K-tel cd in the late 80's called "Battle of the Garage Bands" or something like that. The Standells, Music Machine, Bobby Fuller 4, The Count Five, and a bunch of others. It was a SUPERB transfer from the original tapes I guess. Never heard most of those songs sound that good.

I collect K-Tel and Ronco to some extent. Its a nostalgia thing.

Anyway, you are correct that the sound is deficient. I believe it is because K-Tel crammed so many songs onto a side of wax and it was necessary to speed them up so as to fit them all on.

When I lived in Germany in the mid-90s, K-Tel was still going there. I believe they may still exist, on paper at least.

Hoo-boy. I've got two of their records. That is enough. They don't sound very good. Like others say, you get quantity over quality.

There are always a ton of songs on each side. I have a couple and it seems like the grooves weren't cut as deep so they could get more sons on a side. I believe that is why the sound quality isn't as good as a regular album.

I remember buying a KTEL album years and years ago. I don't know about the quality; I probably had some kind of system that matched their quality. But the funny thing is- the first time I played it, I had a bunch of vinyl all caked around my tt cartridge. :smoke:

There are always a ton of songs on each side. I have a couple and it seems like the grooves weren't cut as deep so they could get more sons on a side. I believe that is why the sound quality isn't as good as a regular album.

I had a Ktel 2 LP set called Hot Ones (which I xfered to cd-r). It had 4 tunes per side.

The sonics (and audio level) was low due to them cramming so many songs per side...hence the editing of some songs. K-Tel also offered albums of classic songs from the 60's with only five or six songs per side. I have a four album set of these and they may be the best sounding transfers I've ever heard of those particular songs.

The earliest K-Tel releases were either A) edited or with a quick fade to pick up some extra time, or B) had some bass EQ's out to squeeze more grooves in, or C) a combination of the two. Wasn't uncommon to have 12-15 songs to a side. As others have mentioned, a lot of their later stuff was of considerably higher quality and made for some good listening. I too have a couple K-Tel CDs, along with a couple cassettes. Back in the dim reaches of time, I even owned K-Tel 8-tracks. Sadly, they were stolen with all the others when my Vega was broken in to.

I remember buying Todd Rundgren's Initiation back in the 70s and there were profuse apologies on the sleeve for cramming nearly an hour of material onto the record, with some loss of quality. I never understood why the hell they didn't just make it two short LPs if sonics were going to be compromised.

I'm quite sure K-TEL and Ronco execs never cared one whit about the music, just how much profit could be squeezed from it. Their magnificent reign over the goodwill record bins across the country are their well-deserved legacy.

I have actually been looking for these LPs. Before you think I am totally nuts, hear my madness to my method. I want to buy a bunch and transfer them to RtR (note to self: buy RtR). It will make great background noise (music?) for parties. Let’s face it. At a party most people is too busy talking, trying to impress someone about some latest acquisition, trying to get picked up, etc. Not worrying about sonics. Some may stop for a second and say “I used to dance to that in my disco days” and bring back some nostalgia. The longer they hang by the margarita machine, the better it will sound. :D

I have just one THE Rock Album:D

Attachments

• SX3800 024_800x533.jpg
    SX3800 024_800x533.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 33
  • SX3800 025_800x533.jpg
    SX3800 025_800x533.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 27
I guess by near the end of the 70's and 80's their quality became better because they only put like 6 songs on a side...but those early 70's ones until 1978. I say though that the Canadian K-Tel's were pretty good....however I remember buying some German Compilation Disco albums and the quality had early K-Tel written all over it. To be fair, if any of you buy the NOW...That's What I Call Music - The British Version they do the same practice to fit so many songs on 2 cds. However the sonics are really good.

I've been kinda ticked off since a car tape deck ate my Temps & Tops tape.

Ain't nothing like the Temptaions and Four Tops!

Back
Top Bottom